latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Membership Site With Free and Paid Levels

Home Forums Community Forum Membership Site With Free and Paid Levels

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Eduan 4 years ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Dec 28th, 2012 at 6:41 pm #35671

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Dec 28th, 2012 at 11:11 pm #35676
David Welch
Username: dwbiz05

S2member keeps track of membership expiration using the EOT (End of term) for each user and will automatically suspend access for expired accounts.

The first thing I noticed is that your link is being re-directed to your membership options page (join page).

That means that you probably have it “protected.”

If you let people “sign-up” without paying, as well as have paid members, they will all see your “members home” page, when they log in. ( you can add some shortcodes to filter that out though, but I can walk you through that later if necessary).

Your members home page, or login welcome page as s2member calls it, is auto protected. (that may be part of the confusion and why your “login” link is being re-directed… maybe… lol).

S2member’s “user login welcome page” really means the page that the user sees after they log in. So you don’t want to put your login form there.

Then any page or post you want to restrict to paid members can be done easily when you create the page.

In the upper right corner of the new page or page edit screen should be a box with s2member options. Select the level of access that should be required and you should be good to go.

Let me know if something doesn’t make sense or if you have more issues.

Dave

Posted: Saturday Dec 29th, 2012 at 12:06 am #35686

First, let me say how pleased I am to receive such a quick response. I’ve been trying to figure out how to use S2member for a year now and have had trouble, but I decided to upgrade to the pro version so that I could receive tech support and I’ve not been disappointed. :)

I think I have fixed the problems with the Join and the Login Pages, but not sure. If a person signs up, should they see the form on the Join page? Shouldn’t it tell the user that they are already a member. Same thing with Login, shouldn’t it tell the user they are already logged in?

The other thing I’m not sure about is how to give the user the option to upgrade for paid content. Once I set up the paid membership, is there a way to test it out with PayPal without actually spending money?

Thanks.

Posted: Saturday Dec 29th, 2012 at 12:19 am #35688
David Welch
Username: dwbiz05

In my opinion, they shouldn’t see the form. The problem is, though, that s2member doesn’t check to see if the user already has the level and custom capability access listed in the form. So it presents the form no matter what, since it uses the same basic form inputs for all the registration forms. It’s assuming they are trying to upgrade something I think… so you would have to filter that out yourself.

You could try something like:

[s2If current_user_can(access_s2member_level1)]
put some text here saying they are already logged in...
[/s2If]

[s2If !current_user_can(access_s2member_level1)]
put your registration form shortcode here.
[/s2If]

I think you can use sandbox mode for testing though I just always set the price to the minimum amount $0.01 or whatever it is and test it live. (just my way of doing it) so I don’t know how to do the sandbox testing. Then I replace the price with the actual price when I go live.

To add an upgrade button, simply create the button in s2member button generator, then put in in a “protected” page that ensures the user must be logged in to click on it. This makes sure the user’s info is transferred with the payment info so their current account is upgraded with the level change or custom capabilities addition you are charging them for.

Also, make sure the page you put the upgrade button on is not protected higher than the user’s access who will be upgrading. :)

Hope that helps!

Dave

Posted: Saturday Dec 29th, 2012 at 8:27 pm #35764

I want to try your suggestion, but I’m not really sure where to place the code. Can you clarify for me?

Posted: Sunday Dec 30th, 2012 at 12:14 pm #35808
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Hello Michele,

You would place these s2Member conditional shortcodes in your membership options page, or the login welcome page, whichever you prefer. :)

– Eduan

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.