latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Monthly Sub Charging w/o Notificatication

Home Forums Community Forum Monthly Sub Charging w/o Notificatication

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Grace Solivan 4 years, 10 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday Feb 23rd, 2012 at 11:19 am #6119

Hi ,

I’m having a problem with S2Pro monthly subscriptions.
Numerous customers have complained that they fill out the payment info repeatedly and the submit button just hangs, so they try again.

On the Paypal side of it- they are being repeatedly charged for each time they’ve attempted… with no notification back to the system – and no information posted to the database – so they still appear unpaid.

We though Paypal had a regulation to avoid multiple identical charges – but they are claiming that is not the case, that its like buying multiple candybars every few minutes- and thats ok. : /

I need help as soon as possible in tracking down what’s causing the hanging and how to stop multiple identical charges per customer.

-grace

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Feb 24th, 2012 at 3:40 pm #6315

Hi Grace.

I’m sorry you’re having that problem. Yeah, PayPal isn’t very helpful many times…

Anyway, first thing I’d check is making sure that your JavaScript for the pro-form is working properly. There may be something else, like the theme or another plugin, causing it to fail in some way.

To check the theme, as a test, change it to the default TwentyEleven for a moment and try the pro-form, see if it still hangs.

To change the theme for that single page, you could try this plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/page-theme/

To check other plugins, just deactivate them one by one, testing the pro-form after each, see if the problem goes away and if it does, the last one you deactivated is the one causing the problem.

To disable a plugin from a single page, you can try this plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/plugin-organizer/

If neither the theme or plugins are the problem, then it may be PayPal taking too long to communicate back to s2Member, or not communicating at all.

Please triple check your PayPal integration with s2Member to make sure they’re talking properly.

Also activate s2Member logging to get more info on what’s going on with PayPal’s communications, please. [hilite path]WP Admin -> s2Member -> PayPal Options -> Account Details -> Enable Logging[/hilite]

Let me know how it goes.

Posted: Friday Feb 24th, 2012 at 3:44 pm #6317

I have not been able to reproduce the problem at all. Multiple users have complained publicly and to our support team that it is happening to them. : /

I’ve updated the IPN info on the Paypal side in hopes of that resolving.

Posted: Friday Feb 24th, 2012 at 7:10 pm #6361

Got it. Hmm…

Do let us know if you get more info on this.

I’m not sure it has something to do with this, but try asking the users that complain, what version brand and version they’re using. Maybe there’s a relationship? Anyway, seems to be particular to your site, so I don’t know if that’d be the issue, or more people would have mentioned a similar thing here, but I didn’t come across one.

Hopefully the IPN update solves it. :)

Posted: Tuesday Feb 28th, 2012 at 8:15 am #6661

I haven’t seen a repeat of the multiple charges problem- so I’m guessing updated IPN resolved that issue. :)

Seems that the problem that was occurring simoultaeously though – does persist. Many users on various browsers and using various credit cards or Paypal find that clicking the submit button has no effect- just hangs there.

Since I can’t replicate the problem i haven’t been able to find the source either.

We get about 20 sales a day vs 2-3 hanging complaints per day.
The demotions, recurring billing changes, appear to be communicating fine. Refund demotions respond almost immediately.

I just havent been able to find anything in common amongst the customers that are having issue – since they’re irate already I don’t push too much for more info : /

These are the plugins on the site:
Add All Nav Links to BP Adminbar
AutoChimp
BP Group Management
BP Group Organizer
BP Show Friends
BuddyPress
BuddyPress Activity Plus
BuddyPress Album
BuddyPress Community Stats
BuddyPress Friends On-line (FOL)
BuddyPress Group Email Subscription
BuddyPress Groups Extras
BuddyPress Profile Privacy
BuddyPress Share It
Chat presence Widget
Duplicate Post
Enhanced BuddyPress Widgets
Fast Secure Contact Form
KKProgressbar2 Free
Limit Groups per User
MailChimp Widget
MyArcadePlugin Lite
Portable phpMyAdmin
s2Member® Framework
User Role Editor
WP-Polls
WP Show IDs

Posted: Wednesday Feb 29th, 2012 at 12:16 am #6718
Staff Member

Thanks for reporting this important issue.

submit button just hangs, so they try again.

I’m not aware of any issue within the s2Member plugin itself that would cause this. However, I have seen this happen on some client installations where there are many other plugins running together. Often times, this problem can be attributed to one or more of the following.

1. Your hosting account is getting overloaded (i.e. you might need a bigger server).
2. Or, perhaps your WordPress memory limit is just configured too low. Please see:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Increasing_memory_allocated_to_PHP
3. Or, another plugin is conflicting with s2Member, or contains code which is slowing down your site.

Many of these issues can be detected through your Apache and/or PHP error logs. I would suggest a lengthy review of your site, where each of these points (at a minimum) is fully investigated by someone very familiar with WordPress. Hanging processes are often a symptom of a larger issue.

Posted: Wednesday Feb 29th, 2012 at 6:11 am #6755

Ahhhh thank you-
Will start digging in that direction.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.