latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Moving Users In Multsite

Home Forums Community Forum Moving Users In Multsite

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Vincent Miele 3 years, 8 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Apr 19th, 2013 at 8:23 pm #47905

Hi. I need to MOVE users from Blog id#1 to Blog id #6

I read your forums, particularly this
http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/moving-s2member-into-a-multisite-install/

where you said
“Although the multisite network is powered by a single file set of WordPress, each blog in it is independent of the rest. So importing the users to one will not include them in the other blogs. It’s the same for the plugin options.”

What I am trying to confirm is this:

I EXPORT users from blog id 1 and then import them into blog id 6 – using s2member import/export.

Is that correct? Does this actually MOVE the users or just COPY them? I need for them to have all permissions for blog 6 in a buddypress type installation. (in blog id 6)

Secondly, when I import,export, do I start from record #2 …since record 1 contains the field names.

thanks in advance.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Saturday Apr 20th, 2013 at 8:11 am #47989

Is that correct? Does this actually MOVE the users or just COPY them? I need for them to have all permissions for blog 6 in a buddypress type installation. (in blog id 6)

When you import them to the other blog you’ll be creating them again, not moving the existing ones. Since you’ll be creating this users in the other blog, make sure the user ID field is empty. If you have a user ID, then s2Member will update the existing user, not create a new one.

Secondly, when I import,export, do I start from record #2 …since record 1 contains the field names.

You can leave that row. The CSV file s2Member exports for reimportation has the correct format.

Here’s more documentation that you may find helpful: Knowledge Base » Import (or Mass Update) Users

Posted: Saturday Apr 20th, 2013 at 9:11 am #47992

This is where you are losing me

“… make sure the user ID field is empty If you have a user ID, then s2Member will update the existing user, not create a new one.”

I have – let’s say – 350 WordPress users. 200 seem to be assigned to blog 1, 150 to blog 6.
I want ALL assigned to blog 6

So do I LEAVE the user id in – to “update” them to blog 6?….or empty the user id data?

Sorry, I’m just getting confused by the wording in the responses.

thanks

Posted: Sunday Apr 21st, 2013 at 7:53 am #48030

The import tool is not made to migrate users between blogs, but I’ll mention it to Jason.

If you have a user in blog 1, he’ll not be in blog 6, so you’ll have to import him there. If you leave his WP user ID in the import CSV, I’m not sure if you’ll get an error or if he’ll be updated, but even if updated, it may not change the blog he belongs to. I’m not familiar with updating users from a different blog of the network, but you can test it and find out.

When copying the blog 1 users to blog 6, after you export them from blog 1 you may need to remove their user IDs and then import them in blog 6 to create their accounts again there.

Now, if you go to the database, you could change their blog ID from 1 to 6 directly and not need to copy the accounts.

Not sure if there’s a plugin that has an interface for what you want to do (move a user from one blog to another in the network). I searched the plugins a bit and found a couple that have a promising name, but you’d need to try them:
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bulk-user-management/
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/user-management-tools/

Posted: Sunday Apr 21st, 2013 at 9:17 am #48041
Now, if you go to the database, you could change their blog ID from 1 to 6 directly and not need to copy the accounts. 

Can it be as simple as changing a value in the database directly? If so, that’s all I would really need to do. What would that field/value be…originating blog, primary blog…?

thanks for the help

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.