latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Multisite Global Login

Home Forums Community Forum Multisite Global Login

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Bruce 3 years, 7 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Tuesday May 28th, 2013 at 1:17 pm #50754
Abner Garcia
Username: Abner7g

I know that this subject is very well commented here in the forums, however there’s not much a clear answer about how to fix this other than “s2member can’t manage this process” I already know that multisite configuration does not share users between sub sites, in my case subdomains. It’s very weird because it’s pretty much basic to unsterstand that some users wants to have a totally independent sub sites and some other wants to integrate sub sites in just one database with all registered users. With that being said I just need a simple fix in order to provide just one login experience with my members across the all sub sites.

I read a post where Jason talks about this fact using this code modifying the w-config.php file

define('COOKIE_DOMAIN', '.example.com'); // Recognize logged-in Users across all sub-domains.

Yesterday I did the test with a subscriber access that I created for me to test it out in my two existing sub sites . I only could login in my main site but not in my sub sites. Is there any specific place that I should insert this code or I need some other code or modification. I know that every subsite will have his own subscriber but I just need that everyone who’s an actual member could login across every site.

Hope this is possible. Thank you in advance!!

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Wednesday May 29th, 2013 at 7:17 am #50808
Abner Garcia

Guys any help will be much appreciate it!!!

Posted: Wednesday May 29th, 2013 at 8:37 am #50821
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Thank you for your inquiry.

This is something that WordPress does. This post in the WordPress forums goes over this same problem:

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/subdomains-and-login-persistance

It looks like someone made a Plugin that will help you with this:

http://wordpress.org/plugins/root-cookie/

Posted: Wednesday May 29th, 2013 at 10:24 am #50838
Abner Garcia

That’s great but just to be sure this plugin does not conflict with s2member. For some reason is not working for me, actually I can’t login in my subsites as Admin since the plugin installation. Just to be sure I don’t have the domain mapping plugin in my network. I read that If I’m not planning to have a blog farm I don’t need this. My purpose is to have my main domain and two sub site (subdomains) as a two different secctions of my main site but for users matters I need the sites integrated so the can maintain logged across the sites.

If you have any suggestion I’ll appreciate your help, thank you!!

Posted: Thursday May 30th, 2013 at 6:33 am #50931
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Just to be sure, are you running your subsites with WordPress Multisite?

If you’re not then that’s the problem here. WordPress encrypts logins with keys that are automatically generated when the site is set up (you can find them in your wp-config.php file). If these values are different for your subsites and you’re setting a cookie domain to work with all your subsites, then you will lose the ability to log in to your subsites at all, because WordPress cannot validate the cookies.

I was under the impression you were using WordPress Multisite I’m sorry for the confusion if that’s not the case.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.