latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Need Help with Configuration

Home Forums Community Forum Need Help with Configuration

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Jason (Lead Developer) 3 years, 11 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Saturday Jan 12th, 2013 at 9:53 pm #37201

This is the goal: Our blog is open to the public and does not require any membership or registration to view and navigate. Visitors become members when they register will be able to choose from any number of membership levels – the lowest of which is a free level requiring only the registration.

Here is what we have: Members must first register at the free level and are not being offered the option to register and choose a paid membership level. We have a membership options page that does have both option on it. However, when choosing the paid level, the S2Member accepts payment and creates a new user. All of this is good.

The problem is that even though the user is created, the user is not sent any login information and therefore cannot access the site.

How do I configure this to have a page that offers all of the membership options, registers all users (free and paid), creates new users, accepts the paypal payments for paid memberships and still sends the login information to the new member?

NOTE: I just had a thought… Should I be saying no free registrations option and then charge nothing for the first level? (Meaning that the level-0 would then be the read only visitors to the blog, level-1 would be free membership, level-2 would start the paid membership options?)

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Sunday Jan 13th, 2013 at 3:22 pm #37295
Staff Member

Thanks for reporting this important issue.

The problem is that even though the user is created, the user is not sent any login information and therefore cannot access the site.

I’m sorry, can you please clarify. The login information is not being sent during Free Registration, or during paid registration? In either case, can you please paste the Shortcode that you’ve used to integrate this registration form that’s not working properly? I’d like to see the underlying Shortcode and we can work from there to help you determine the cause of this on your installation.

How do I configure this to have a page that offers all of the membership options, registers all users (free and paid), creates new users, accepts the paypal payments for paid memberships and still sends the login information to the new member?

NOTE: I just had a thought… Should I be saying no free registrations option and then charge nothing for the first level? (Meaning that the level-0 would then be the read only visitors to the blog, level-1 would be free membership, level-2 would start the paid membership options?)

• No Level at all (i.e. public visitors) can see anything that’s not protected by s2Member.
  • Level #0 is generally associated with Free Subscribers (i.e. you’ve allowed them to register, so they have an account), but they did NOT pay you, because they registered for free. These folks generally have access to your Login Welcome Page, but not to any paid content on the site.
  • Anything higher than Level #0 generally requires payment, and it will grant access to any content you’ve protected at Level #1 or higher. Just depends on how you’ve protected your content.

With s2Member Pro, I recommend this Pro Form to help you with Free Registration.
Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Free Registration Forms

Posted: Sunday Jan 13th, 2013 at 9:57 pm #37322

This is the url to the page that has the registration and membership options: http://ownwp.com/membership-options/

The site is a BuddyPress site and the free registration is sent to the BuddyPress Free registration page here: http://ownwp.com/ownwp-register/

When people sign up for the registration it is free. y access to a number of inside pages that are all for the free level. NOTE: We also have a completely free blog which anyone (non-registered visitors, registered (free) visitors as well as out paid members) can access. Using this for, the user is registered as a site user, pays nothing and IS sent all confirmation information as well as their login information.

Here is the short code from S2Member for the paid membership: [s2Member-PayPal-Button level="1" ccaps="" desc="Bronze - Level 1" ps="paypal" lc="" cc="USD" dg="0" ns="1" custom="ownwp.com" ta="0" tp="0" tt="D" ra="9.98" rp="3" rt="M" rr="1" rrt="" rra="1" image="default" output="button" /]
When users sign up using this form, they are created as users in the wp-admin area but they never get any user information sent to them for to how to login. The payment does go through and I do receive it but I have to manually add the payment info to their user area in the wp-admin.

I am sure that I am just configuring something incorrectly.

All I am looking for is the correct way to configure the s@Member settings to accomplish the goal of:
A completely free blog.
A free membership that accesses free pages that are not part of the blog (ie. basic Buddy Press access “inside” the site)
Paid membership levels designed to give members even more value within the site.

Posted: Monday Jan 14th, 2013 at 8:22 am #37355
Staff Member

Thanks for the follow-up :-)

When users sign up using this form, they are created as users in the wp-admin area but they never get any user information sent to them for to how to login. The payment does go through and I do receive it but I have to manually add the payment info to their user area in the wp-admin.

So checkout is not fully integrated yet, because paid registrations are not being entirely processed properly yet. It sounds to me like s2Member’s post-processing of the transaction is failing. To determine why, please review your PayPal configuration for s2Member, in this section of your Dashboard.

See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options

Also, please enable logging here, so we can help you determine what the underlying issue is.
Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› Account Details -› Logging

Once logging is enabled, please submit a Dashboard login for us, and we will run diagnostics for you. Please do that privately, using this form: s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Your Shortcode looks good. Thank you.

All I am looking for is the correct way to configure the s@Member settings to accomplish the goal of:
A completely free blog.
A free membership that accesses free pages that are not part of the blog (ie. basic Buddy Press access “inside” the site)
Paid membership levels designed to give members even more value within the site.

A completely free blog, is a blog that does not protect any of it’s content with s2Member. Or at least, very little. That is, most of your content would NOT be protected by s2Member, and thus, it would be available for public viewing, without any Membership Level Restrictions applied to this content at all.

If you have some content that requires registration (even though you’re not charging for it), if you just want to make sure a public visitor is registered before certain content can be viewed, you would protect that content at Membership Level #0, requiring Free Subscribers. Then you would allow Open Registration with s2Member, and make a Free Registration Form available on your site, so that public visitors can register and become Free Subscribers.

Here are the relevant sections in your Dashboard.
See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Open Registration
See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options
See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Free Registration Forms

Additional content can be protected at higher Membership Levels, where you require payment to access specific content within the site. This is achieved by protecting some of your content at Membership Level #1 or higher, and then making a checkout form available on your site so that public visitors and/or Free Subscribers can purchase.

See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Membership Level # Forms

I also recommend that you watch our online video tutorials.
Please see: s2Member® Videos
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.