latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Need Multisite (Blogfarm) and Buddypress help

Home Forums Community Forum Need Multisite (Blogfarm) and Buddypress help

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 7 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday May 17th, 2012 at 2:55 am #13727

Hi, just recently purchased the S2Member Multisite license and need some help setting this up.

I am currently setting everything up on a test site at http://tmbcopytest.info/ before taking everything live to my active site.

I have Buddypress installed, Multisite, use a Genesis theme and have the Genesis Connect plugin installed which directs my signup page to /join instead of the Buddypress standard which is /register.

Right now I’m using the Paypal Sandbox (waiting for approval on Paypal Pro)

PROBLEM IS: When I signup, nothing seems to happen with S2member. I don’t get redirected to the membership options page / Paypal standard.

I have also tried upsells to see if they work on new registration but nothing happens.

It’s almost like S2member is there but inactive in some way.

Is there anything I could be missing with the basic setup?

I haven’t setup many restrictions on pages etc as it’s not needed yet on the test site, just looking to customize the actual signup pages and process.

You can register on my site if you’d like as a test to see what happens.

Thanks! :)

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Thursday May 17th, 2012 at 3:09 am #13729

Guess what’s confusing here is the buddypress registration still proceeds as per normal. How do I integrate the Buddypress and S2member registration?

Posted: Thursday May 17th, 2012 at 5:52 am #13748

Hi George.

Did you double check that you have s2Member activate in your plugins list? Or what do you mean by inactive? What are you expecting to have happen on registration? s2Member affects the registration in some ways:

– Allowing registration or not: If you have Open Registration disabled, then only those that paid will be allowed to register. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Open Registration[/hilite]

– Adding custom profile fields. These can also be integrated with BuddyPress, but BuddyPress’ profile fields don’t integrate with s2Member. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Registration/Profile Fields[/hilite]

s2Member doesn’t affect what happens after registration, this is normally handled by WordPress, but I imagine BuddyPress has its own way. After registration the person can login to his account.

After login, the person would be taken to the page you configured in s2Member as the Login Welcome page, unless something else is over-riding it with its own redirection. Video » s2Member (Login Welcome Page Conflicts?)

I created a test account, but I didn’t see any s2Member custom profile fields. Was that the default BuddyPress registration form? Did you create custom profile fields with s2Member and activate the integration with BuddyPress?

Also, I didn’t notice it’s a multisite network when I registered, it didn’t mention getting a blog. Multisite registrations are normally over at /wp-signup.php if I’m not mistaken, but that is redirecting me to /join.

Posted: Thursday May 17th, 2012 at 6:52 am #13764

Did you double check that you have s2Member activate in your plugins list? Or what do you mean by inactive?

Yes its active, what I meant was I’m not seeing any change in functionality, meaning, being asked for payment etc.

– Adding custom profile fields. These can also be integrated with BuddyPress, but BuddyPress’ profile fields don’t integrate with s2Member. Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Registration/Profile Fields

I was under under the impression that they do integrate.

After login, the person would be taken to the page you configured in s2Member as the Login Welcome page, unless something else is over-riding it with its own redirection. Video » s2Member (Login Welcome Page Conflicts?)

Checking this out, havent found a redirect_to function yet…

I created a test account, but I didn’t see any s2Member custom profile fields. Was that the default BuddyPress registration form? Did you create custom profile fields with s2Member and activate the integration with BuddyPress?

No didnt create any custom fields. That was all Buddypress default. I did activate it, but didnt create the custom fields. Is that something I need to do?

Also, I didn’t notice it’s a multisite network when I registered, it didn’t mention getting a blog. Multisite registrations are normally over at /wp-signup.php if I’m not mistaken, but that is redirecting me to /join.

Yes, it’s multisite. When you have Buddypress enabled, it takes over the wp-signup.php registration. Buddypress normally has the default registration page of /register. I’m using Genesis Framework, which requires that you use the Genesis Connect Plugin, which allows me to customize the join page, which is /join.

Although, I did see that since S2Member is active, the options to create a blog in the main multisite settings have been defaulted to ‘create user profiles only’ as S2Member seems to be controlling this. Could be cos I’ve selected blogfarm of course and set the membership level 1 and up to allow blogs only.

So big thing is, if Buddypress default join page is at /join where you joined, at which point will they get offered a membership? (and to which page should it direct?)

Posted: Thursday May 17th, 2012 at 7:33 pm #13825
Staff Member

Hi there. Thanks for the heads up on this request for support.

Yes, s2Member/BuddyPress work very well together in a multisite environment.
I’ve not tested against the Genesis theme however.

Regarding Custom Registration/Profile Fields.
Yes, fields created with s2Member, can be integrated into registration forms introduced by BuddyPress. However, what Cristian means is that you can’t bring custom registration/profile fields created with BuddyPress, or another plugin, into registration/checkout forms introduced by s2Member. In other words, s2Member integrates with other plugins, but not all plugins return that favor. Therefore, it’s best to create your custom registration/profile fields with s2Member, for the best compatibility with BuddyPress.

Regarding the checkout process.
I think there is some confusion here between “checkout” and “registration”. With PayPal Standard Button integration, you introduce a payment button to a customer first. When they return from checkout, they complete the registration in whatever form you’d like to provide. BuddyPress is fine, or you can use the default WordPress registration page if you prefer.

With s2Member Pro Forms, checkout and registration occur at the same time. In this case, BuddyPress registration is NOT used. Instead, you use an s2Member Pro Form, and customize that. Once the combined checkout/registration process is completed, the user can log in and gain access to any additional functionality made possible by BuddyPress. For example, after the initial checkout/registration process, you might redirect the user to their BuddyPress Profile.

Posted: Friday May 18th, 2012 at 10:12 pm #13947

Hi Jason, thank you for jumping in here too.

OK, what I’m hearing sounds is exactly what I want to hear. So best bet is to use S2member as the control point, so have the custom fields determine what I want in registration and have them register through the custom fields rather than vice versa.

So guess what I’ll need to do now is figure out how to position the custom fields on a custom wordpress or other page so that I can use that as my sales page.

I’m sure I’ll figure that out while poking around here, but just in case I dont, any pointers on doing that?

Posted: Friday May 18th, 2012 at 10:31 pm #13949

Therefore, it’s best to create your custom registration/profile fields with s2Member, for the best compatibility with BuddyPress.

What I don’t get with that is, it’s the same fields that I need for S2Member (the default Buddypress fields)

So if S2Member works with Buddypress registration, but the fields collected by Buddypress don’t transfer to S2member only vice versa, does that then mean I need to have the same fields twice?

Maybe I”m missing something with this…

Unless of course (ideal) I ONLY setup custom fields through S2Member, and somehow position that on a page of my liking where I can control the entire sign up process

Posted: Friday May 18th, 2012 at 10:34 pm #13950

With s2Member Pro Forms, checkout and registration occur at the same time. In this case, BuddyPress registration is NOT used. Instead, you use an s2Member Pro Form, and customize that. Once the combined checkout/registration process is completed, the user can log in and gain access to any additional functionality made possible by BuddyPress. For example, after the initial checkout/registration process, you might redirect the user to their BuddyPress Profile.

OK, reading that again that seems the best route to follow. Let’s hope Paypal Pro gets approved then!

Posted: Friday May 18th, 2012 at 11:50 pm #13954

So if S2Member works with Buddypress registration, but the fields collected by Buddypress don’t transfer to S2member only vice versa, does that then mean I need to have the same fields twice?

The custom fields you create in s2Member will work with WordPress, and if you activate the integration with the BuddyPress profiles, the s2Member custom fields will show up there as well.

BuddyPress also provides a way to create custom fields, but those only work in BuddyPress, they won’t integrate with s2Member’s registration or checkout pro-forms, only the s2Member created ones will.

Unless of course (ideal) I ONLY setup custom fields through S2Member, and somehow position that on a page of my liking where I can control the entire sign up process

Right, you only need to create the custom fields in s2Member and activate the integration with the BuddyPress profiles. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Registration/Profile Fields[/hilite]

To use in your custom page, you’d use the registration or checkout pro-forms. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms[/hilite]

Posted: Friday May 18th, 2012 at 11:56 pm #13956

Thanks, I’ve started playing with the Pro Forms and this is what I need. Upsells are also working from there so that takes care of this thread thank you! :)

Posted: Friday May 18th, 2012 at 11:58 pm #13958

Great! Thanks for the update. :)

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.