latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Newbie question about specific post purchase

Home Forums Community Forum Newbie question about specific post purchase

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 8 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday Apr 26th, 2012 at 7:43 pm #12006

Hi, I love S2Member Pro but need help figuring out whether it allows the following variation on the Specific Post Purchase. (Which itself I am still trying to figure out.)

OK, so here is the situation: our S2Member protection scheme doesn’t use Content Permissions. The way I set it up, the only members are paying members. And non-members are forbidden from seeing podcast content that is sandwiched between two shortcodes (“[membersonly]Premium stuff here[/membersonly]”).

Is there a way to script a scheme in which

1. User pays 99 cents, as a one-time payment
2. This allows the user to view the unredacted post, somehow.

Am I making a mistake not relying on Content Permissions levels? Any help on where to start with this much appreciated.

-john

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Apr 27th, 2012 at 5:19 am #12028

John, what do you mean by “unredacted post”? I just want to make sure I understand your question. Thanks! :)

Posted: Friday Apr 27th, 2012 at 12:15 pm #12056

Thanks for the quick reply. The way we’ve been doing posts is to make them part free, part premium, like this pseudocode:

“On today’s episode, I interview Ryan Gosling.

[IF USER IS LOGGED IN]

[podcast audio]

[/IF USER IS LOGGED IN]

So my concept is that there would be a $1 payment allowing the user to see a special version of this page as if he’s a member, showing that [podcast audio] content that otherwise would be restricted.

Posted: Friday Apr 27th, 2012 at 3:24 pm #12074

Ah ok. Yes, that’s perfectly fine. You have the shortcode conditionals for that. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Simple/Shortcode Conditionals[/hilite]

Posted: Friday Apr 27th, 2012 at 3:26 pm #12075

Oh OK, so those shortcode conditionals will work with Specific Post purchase? Confused about how to do that… (I wrote my own shortcode conditional because I wasn’t sure about how S2Members’s worked.)

Update: Looking at the S2Member PayPal Buttons. So if I create one of those buttons and sell a post, does the user get sold a version of the post that acts like it is being viewed by a paying member?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by  Johnny Novato.
  • This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by  Johnny Novato.
Posted: Friday Apr 27th, 2012 at 3:33 pm #12078

Let me see if I understand: You want to use a Specific Post restriction but still let people view part of that post? In that case it can’t be done, because the Specific Post protects access to the whole post.

You can use a conditional that checks the user’s level or custom capabilities to display parts of a post, but the post itself is not protected, which is why someone not logged in can even load the page. In the case of Specific Post restriction the page won’t even load for someone that isn’t access it it with the special URL s2Member generated for him.

I hope that helps.

Posted: Friday Apr 27th, 2012 at 3:37 pm #12080

Ahh yeah. So you’re saying, unless the entire post is restricted, it can’t be sold individually. My idea was to generate some kind of temporary, expiring link that lets the user buy the file sandwiched between the shortcodes. Maybe this is a job for more advanced custom scripting and not for Buy Specific Post then, if I understand right.

Posted: Friday Apr 27th, 2012 at 3:41 pm #12081

If you’ll be selling specific files, then I’d suggest using custom capabilities. The advantage of using Specific Post restriction is not needing to register an account beacuse the access authentication is in the URL itself, but requiring the person to register an account is no big deal really and you have a lot more control over content display, as talked in this thread.

I recommend you read/watch these:
Video » s2Member (Custom Capabilities)
[hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Custom Capabilities[/hilite]
[hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Custom Capability and Member Level Files[/hilite]

I hope that helps. :)

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.