latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

non-recurring subscription

Home Forums Community Forum non-recurring subscription

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 3 years, 10 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Feb 15th, 2013 at 12:20 pm #41888

we will soon be offering 1-year non-recurring “subscriptions”. we are using the “Authorize.net (Subscriptions) option “One time (for 1 year access) non-recurring”.

so my question is what happens after the year is over. we would like to make it easy for members to re-new. from what I can tell, the “update billing” form doesn’t work (because there’s “nothing to update. you have NO recurring fees.”) but what if

1. a user simply wants to use their existing billing info
2. a user has a new credit card

I guess I could try this by setting up a test subscription for a a week but now I’m under the gun to launch this thing next week!

thanks.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday Feb 18th, 2013 at 12:00 am #42233
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Thank you for your inquiry.

so my question is what happens after the year is over. we would like to make it easy for members to re-new. from what I can tell, the “update billing” form doesn’t work (because there’s “nothing to update. you have NO recurring fees.”) but what if

At the end of the subscription, the user should be demoted or deleted, depending on what you have set up in your Automatic EOT settings.

Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Authorize.Net® Options -› Automatic EOT Behavior

For a User to renew, they should use Billing Modification Forms. These forms will overwrite a previous subscription is there is one.

See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Authorize.Net® Pro Forms -› Billing Modification Forms

For a User to update their Billing Info (like Credit Card Number, or Billing Address), you should also set up Billing Update Forms.

See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Authorize.Net® Pro Forms -› Billing Update Forms

1. a user simply wants to use their existing billing info
2. a user has a new credit card

s2Member does not store Users’ billing information, so they will ALWAYS need to put their billing info in to renew, unless you are creating a Recurring Profile to have their account automatically billed.

Posted: Monday Feb 18th, 2013 at 1:06 am #42236

thanks for the resonse

so

1. For a User to renew, they should use Billing Modification Forms. These forms will overwrite a previous subscription is there is one.

See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Authorize.Net® Pro Forms -› Billing Modification Forms

2. For a User to update their Billing Info (like Credit Card Number, or Billing Address), you should also set up Billing Update Forms.

See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Authorize.Net® Pro Forms -› Billing Update Forms

1. does that mean a user will still have access to their member account info after they’ve been demoted?
in other words, they will have access to the billing modification form?

2. the “update billing info” form doesn’t seem to be working in my case. I assumed that’s because these memberships are non-recurring. the “update billing info” form reads: “nothing to update. you have NO recurring fees…”

Posted: Monday Feb 25th, 2013 at 9:34 pm #43197

hi. I’m still stuck with this issue… now I’ve tested with a one-week subscription. that just expired.

with that account, I can’t even access my account info page that I had set up so users can update or modify their subscription.

since s2member does not sent out notifications to members about their expiring membership, I can foresee a lot of memberships expiring. how do they renew then after it expired?? and how would they renew before it expired?

thanks

Posted: Tuesday Feb 26th, 2013 at 11:34 am #43248

ok, one thing I figured out: I need to set the “membership profile modification” page to unrestricted so that users whose membership expired can fill out the “update billing” form.

if that’s the right way, then one thing I’m concerned about is the fact that users will always see the “update billing” form when they view this page. the concern is that members could accidentally sign up for another membership because, as far as I understand, filling out this [s2Member-Pro-AuthNet-Form modify=”1″ …] form will re-start their membership, no matter what their current status, right?

Posted: Wednesday Feb 27th, 2013 at 1:03 am #43275
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Thank-you for your patience. We are very sorry about the delay.

if that’s the right way, then one thing I’m concerned about is the fact that users will always see the “update billing” form when they view this page.

It sounds like what you need to do is use s2Member’s Shortcode Condtiionals to decide when to show the Billing Update Form. If a User is s2Member Level 0 / Subscriber, they should not have access to this form, because this means that they are not a Paid Subscriber.

So you’d do something like this:

[s2If current_user_is('subscriber')]
	My Update Billing Form goes here.
[/s2If]

the concern is that members could accidentally sign up for another membership because, as far as I understand, filling out this [s2Member-Pro-AuthNet-Form modify=”1″ …] form will re-start their membership, no matter what their current status, right?

That’s right. A Modification Form will delete a User’s current subscriptions, and create a new one. If you’d like to make sure that you prevent Users from buying something that they already have, I’d recommend checking out s2Member’s Shortcode Conditionals for this, too. You can check to see if a User already has access to what your Modification Form is making available before making the form available.

See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Simple/Shortcode Conditionals

Posted: Wednesday Feb 27th, 2013 at 10:06 pm #43363

so there’s no way to let non-recurring subscribers “renew” without lag or overlap?

and if the subscriber misses the last day of their subscription they can’t even use the billing update form (since I’m going to hide that from non-subscribers)?

I wish there was an easy way to accomplish the logical

1. if I’m a current member with a status of at least leve 1, I should be able to renew my subscription before it expires without losing any time on m original subscription.

2. if I’m a current member and my subscription expired, I should be able to use my old username and password to log in at at least be able to renew my subscription.

possible?

Posted: Friday Mar 1st, 2013 at 9:42 am #43480

Hi Pirco.

we will soon be offering 1-year non-recurring “subscriptions”. we are using the “Authorize.net (Subscriptions) option “One time (for 1 year access) non-recurring”.

What you could do is sell the year with a buy-now instead of a non-recurring subscription. Both are a single payment, but the buy-now is not a subscription, will set an EOT time immediately and will also allow you to extend the EOT time with new payments instead of resetting it. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Authorize.Net® Options -› Automatic EOT Behavior -> Fixed-Term Extensions[/hilite]

The option to sell non-recurring subscriptions is only there to allow single payments with a trial term, but that’s not what you need here, if I’m not mistaken. It’ll be much better if you sell with a buy-now: “One Time (for 1 year access, non-recurring, no trial)”.

I hope that helps. :)

Posted: Friday Mar 1st, 2013 at 11:43 am #43504

oh that would be perfect. trying it now.

thanks!

Posted: Friday Mar 1st, 2013 at 11:48 am #43506

oh! so, I should use Dashboard -> s2Member ->AUTH.NET OPTIONS -> Automatic EOT Behavior -> fixed-term Extensions (instead of PAYPAL OPTIONS -> Automatic EOT Behavior -> Fixed-Term Extensions), right?

and should i then include the “billing modifications form” or “billing update form” on the Members options page?

Posted: Saturday Mar 2nd, 2013 at 9:23 am #43604

No, the billing modification would be for subscriptions, which is not what you’d sell with buy-now pro-forms. Just use the same pro-form the user purchased with originally, if you have the auto-extend setting enabled it’d work.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.