latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Non-standard membership – suitability

Home Forums Community Forum Non-standard membership – suitability

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 10 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday Feb 23rd, 2012 at 1:17 pm #6135
Jason Hunt
Username: jasonhunt

I am looking for a WP membership solution and have some questions about the capabilities that I need…

Broadly I am looking to create a membership-based site that needs to have the following:

– Free access (it\’s not about money)

– Manual approval of registration (users can\’t just sign-up)

– The membership scheme I need isn\’t \’standard\’ as it\’s not really level-based. Each member will have a country/territory associated with them, and I want to be able for them to only see protected content (posts/pages/parts of posts/downloads) outside of that territory. For instance if member \’A\’ has a registerred territory of USA, they can see everything except content tagged/categorised under this territory. Does that make sense?

– Some users could have multiple territories.

– I would also like to protect/hide content from users based on date combined with territory – eg USA territory users cannot view post \’X\’ until a set date has passed.

This all sounds non-standard to me, but your plugin seems very powerful and I was wondering if it could be made to operate a site in this way?

Any help or advice gratefully accepted.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Feb 24th, 2012 at 3:54 pm #6320

Hi Jason.

Thanks for the great question.

Yeah, it’s definitely not standard, but it is possible with some custom coding. We can’t provide that, but you should be able to find good freelance developers in sites like odesk.com, elance.com, jobs.wordpress.net.

You’d can use the custom profile fields to get the user’s location. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Registration/Profile Fields[/hilite]

You could tag the content with the location it belongs to, or even use custom capabilities for those. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Custom Capabilities[/hilite]

Then you’d have to check with PHP conditionals to compare the user’s location with the content’s, and act based on that. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Advanced PHP Conditionals[/hilite]

The delays would also be done with conditionals. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Content Dripping[/hilite]

I hope that helps! :)

Posted: Friday Feb 24th, 2012 at 6:08 pm #6345
ted kin
Username: kin2memsite

I also have a need for membership type and process that is FREE but Manually Approved. I don\’t have other detailed needs.

Cristián can you or others comment on how that can be supported with S2? Your answers addressed the specific data field needs of Jason. What about Free, but Manually Approved member types?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  ted kin.
Posted: Friday Feb 24th, 2012 at 7:21 pm #6365

Hi Ted.

Right, for that you could protect your content at a higher level than what they’re registering at, and upon registration you’d review the account and upgrade the level manually to the one to access the content.

So, basically, the registration would not be pending approval, but the access to the content would be.

I hope that helps.

Posted: Saturday Feb 25th, 2012 at 9:06 pm #6428

My need is very much like ted kin\’s but adds one more twist.

We won\’t be using any payment gateway. We just need to create a membership where we can manually approve the new members and direct them to an order form that is protected from view. This is to keep competition from seeing our pricing. We are likely going to be using the MarketPress plugin from wpmudev.org as it allow manual billing which is our mode of operation. We just need to protect that content for view by established members.

Are we able to create members without a gateway and also protect our pricing/order/shopping cart?

I am really pleased to have found your plugin. Excellent work on the plugin and documentation!

Posted: Saturday Feb 25th, 2012 at 10:59 pm #6433

Thanks for the kudos.

Yes, you can protect the sales page at Level 1, and after reviewing the user and approving him, manually upgrade his account from Level 0 to 1 and point him to the page to pay. Only those accounts you gave Level 1 to will be able to see it.

I hope that helps.

Posted: Sunday Feb 26th, 2012 at 12:13 am #6441

Thank you! Yes it does help.
I thought this was the case, and asking really saved time getting an affirmative.

Thank you for your quick reply on a weekend too!

This plugin is really going to be fun!

Posted: Sunday Feb 26th, 2012 at 12:16 am #6443

:)

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.