latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Page timeout from Pro Login Widget

Home Forums Community Forum Page timeout from Pro Login Widget

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  hakata 3 years, 9 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday Apr 10th, 2013 at 2:22 am #47020
hakata
Username: hakata

I am unable to login from the S2Member Pro login widget. The page times out. I have tested in Chrome, Firefox, and Safari, so I it is not a browser issue. I can still login using the direct link to the WP login page, but all attempts to login via the widget do not work. The widget was working as recently as this afternoon. I have disabled all plugins (except for S2Member), tried the configuration suggestions listed here http://www.primothemes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6380&p=14618#p14618, since we are hosted on cloud sites, and checked the server configuration. Support at our host was able to reproduce the problem, but could not isolate the cause. He suggested moving from cloud sites to a cloud server as a possible solution, citing some problems/inconsistencies with Cloud Sites and S2 Member. Before I try that, I thought I would see if you had any idea what might be causing this.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Wednesday Apr 10th, 2013 at 2:57 am #47031
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Thank you for reporting this important issue.

Could you please try running the s2Member Server Scanner?

See: Knowledge Base » s2Member® Server Scanner

Posted: Wednesday Apr 10th, 2013 at 3:04 am #47032
hakata

Thanks for getting back to me. I ran the server scanner earlier today before I contacted support at my host. Everything looked ok except for this:

In order to run s2Member®, your installation of PHP needs one of the following…
• Either the cURL extension for remote communication via PHP (plus the OpenSSL extension for PHP).
• Or, set: allow_url_fopen = on in your php.ini file (and enable the OpenSSL extension for PHP).

The host confirmed that both cURL and allow_url_fopen were enabled.

Posted: Wednesday Apr 10th, 2013 at 3:20 pm #47109
hakata

This problem is persisting. Any other suggestions? Anyone else experiencing this?

Posted: Wednesday Apr 10th, 2013 at 6:41 pm #47123
Bruce
Staff Member

Thanks for the follow-up.

Thanks for the info. Do you mind if we take a look? You can send us a Dashboard login via Private Contact Form.

See: s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Posted: Wednesday Apr 10th, 2013 at 7:42 pm #47137
hakata

Just sent credentials. Please let me know when you have finished so I can disable. Thanks.

Posted: Thursday Apr 11th, 2013 at 5:32 pm #47230
hakata

I was reviewing the notes above and thought that “time out” might be a bit unclear. The actual error in Chrome is “Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.” Similar error in Safari and Firefox.

We have paused development due to this issue, so any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Posted: Friday Apr 12th, 2013 at 3:18 am #47269
hakata

I’ve tested just about everything I can think of, and the only thing left is the host. I will try a new host and see if the problem goes away. Are you still interested in taking a look, or should I disable credentials? Have you had other problems with the login widget and Rackspace Cloud Sites?

Posted: Friday Apr 12th, 2013 at 4:55 pm #47326
Bruce
Staff Member

Details received.

I’m taking a look now.

Posted: Friday Apr 12th, 2013 at 4:57 pm #47327
hakata

Thanks so much. I will leave access enabled until you are finished.

Posted: Friday Apr 12th, 2013 at 6:00 pm #47329
Bruce
Staff Member

Thanks for your patience.

I reran the s2Member® Server Scanner, and ran some tests on your plugins and theme and I’ve narrowed this down to a server configuration problem. The error you’re receiving is not something that s2Member is causing directly, but only a side effect of something that your hosting company is doing. I believe your hosting company is blocking/filtering loopback connections to your site.

Here are the steps I’d recommend taking:

1. Your site is currently set up in a sub-directory, and you’re using an index.php file in your main directory to have your site appear to be on your main domain. This is probably causing (or going to cause) issues in the future. I’d strongly recommend moving the files from your subdirectory /fullsite/ to your main directory, and changing your WordPres site URL to reflect these changes.

2. Contact your hosting company regarding loopback connections. I’ve seen this cause other issues besides this with the checkout process with PayPal and you need to have this enabled, or find out why your server is rejecting connections when you send certain POST variable to your server.

That’s about as far as we can go here. I tested the error code with a login form that was documented by WordPress outside of s2Member and I still received the error, so this isn’t caused by s2Member. If your problems still persist after you try the above, I’d recommend writing in to the WordPress forums for info on what else might be causing this issue.

See: http://wordpress.org/support/

Posted: Friday Apr 12th, 2013 at 6:02 pm #47331
Bruce
Staff Member

Also, for a quick test to see if the loopbacks are the issue, you can check this post Cristian posted in our forums a while back that will let you know.

See: http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/paypal-success-return-url-not-working/#post-22492

Posted: Friday Apr 12th, 2013 at 6:08 pm #47333
hakata

This is very helpful. I will try moving the files to the main directory and also contact the host. If/when I am able to resolve this, I will post back here.

Thanks so much for your help.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.