latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Paypal Pro Forms – retrieve tax amounts

Home Forums Community Forum Paypal Pro Forms – retrieve tax amounts

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 3 years, 5 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday Jul 4th, 2013 at 6:03 pm #53021

The tax scripting worked great. Thank you for that. We recently launched with PayPal Pro Forms with recurring billing. One of the issues and maybe I just can’t find the area in paypal to find this is keeping track of who is paying taxes and who isn’t and where for. When I do a dump of the subscribers to excel the address information is not filled it, it will maybe just say “non-usa subscriber” if Canadian.

In Canada you have to pay your taxes for each individual province, and then in the US we have to pay taxes in a couple of states we do physical business. So we charge taxes in 12+ different areas. When I did a recurring billing test and went in paypal it charged the taxes properly, but I couldn’t find out were it listed what province/area the person was from or were they were charged for. Is there anyway to find this information? our accountant will obviously need to see the amount charged and the address, or even just state/province the user is from to calculate the tax bill for each area.

Thank you.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday Jul 8th, 2013 at 6:22 am #53109
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Thanks for your patience over the weekend.

I can’t say I know how you could get this information through PayPal. I am not personally experienced with everything about taxes an accountant would need, but I was under the impression that knowing where the Customer was from was not a requisite. You should be able to tell how much tax a Customer was charged by just subtracting your base amount from the amount charged. Why exactly are you needing to see the User’s Province/State?

I just can’t find the area in paypal to find this is keeping track of who is paying taxes and who isn’t and where for

You should be able to tell if a User is paying taxes based on how much their transaction was for, correct?

Posted: Tuesday Jul 9th, 2013 at 1:37 am #53138

In Canada there are different tax rates in different provinces, same with in the united states. My client has some sort of Nexus thing, were they have to charge and pay taxes in states were they have a physical presence. They also currently have a presence in Canada, were you have to pay taxes in every province.

So if we are charging 7% in 5 places and 5% in a couple and 9% somewhere else, we need to see the province/state to know how much to send that province based on how many charges there was in that province. We can’t extrapolate that just based on the amount.

We are a recurring billing website, and we don’t ask for an address except for what is sent to paypal through our pro form. When I go to paypal and dump a report there is no address/state/province listed just blank in their spreadsheet for each charge.

I am wondering if there is a way to make sure they record this IE when the transaction is sent to them?

Posted: Wednesday Jul 10th, 2013 at 8:41 am #53223
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

I am wondering if there is a way to make sure they record this IE when the transaction is sent to them?

I’m not sure if it’s possible to have PayPal record this value, but if you absolutely need this value then you might consider having a developer set up a hook on s2Member’s IPN processor to save the User’s address so you can track that on your site.

I’m afraid I have no idea how you’d retrieve that data from your Users that have already signed up, though. Sorry.

Posted: Thursday Jul 18th, 2013 at 3:19 pm #53649

Ok that is kind of what I was wondering. Since the tax is calculated from the state/province of their CC I was wondering if I would have to add something to the IPN to make sure it is recorded on paypal’s end. I will try and contact their support and sort it out with them.

Posted: Thursday Jul 25th, 2013 at 3:10 pm #54086

This is still a big issue. I am so confused with all of Paypals products… They said we need to sign up for “Paypal Payments Pro” or “Payflow Pro” to get state/country information.

Does s2member support these products? I was sure this is what we had before? do you know if you have these products you will be able to get the information we need? Do you guys have support with this with any recurring billng websites you have ran?

Posted: Friday Jul 26th, 2013 at 9:08 am #54149

If you have PayPal Pro, you can use the PayPal API to get user info. http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/last-payment-time-is-wrong/#post-28491

Regarding the PayPal products supported, you can see them here: Pre Sale FAQs » What payment gateways does s2Member® support?

Ths article will also help: Knowledge Base » PayPal Pro, PayFlow, DPRP, Express Checkout

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.