latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Paypal Pymts Std no Credit Card Option

Home Forums Community Forum Paypal Pymts Std no Credit Card Option

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices. Last updated by  Eduan 3 years, 9 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday Nov 26th, 2012 at 4:01 pm #32631

Hello,

I have seen this question asked many ways without a clear answer, and I hope this posting will make it clear for the few of us who have not had a direct – cut to the bone response.

I have a Paypal Payments Standard account, which accepts paypal AND credit / debit cards.

When creating paypal buttons through the s2member paypal button generator – it ONLY uses the express checkout
feature which EXCLUDES the opportunity for the user to pay using their credit/debit card.

This is not the way I understood the product to work prior to installing and using it.

Now, I believe that to get around this payment issue to make it easier for my future members, is to upgrade to s2Member Pro AND upgrade my Paypal account to the Pro version as well (which is an incremental $30 / month!)

Mind you, upgrading to the pro version of Paypal is not guaranteed, and takes up to 5 business days. The way s2Member has this set up (xpress checkout) appears to be an interface CHOICE in order to upsell the s2member Pro and maybe receive recurring affiliate payments for having their members sign up using the Paypal Pro service.

If that’s the business revenue model – fine. I understand. It is what it is.

I think s2member is a superior product, and was carefully developed with the user in mind.

But I think no one expects to go through this process to find it out. The way it is currently set up is such that by the time you discover this small ‘omission’ – you are in a no recourse position – meaning, you have to pay more to proceed in getting the ultimate solution you thought you had from the start.

So just let me know – am I correct in the way this works? (I hope not)

If I am NOT correct – how do I give someone the option to pay using a credit card by bypassing this express checkout automation feature and just using the regular paypal standards payment module button and invoice template?

Thanks for all your help!

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Nov 30th, 2012 at 11:47 pm #33075

I am wondering the same thing. I am in the process of configuring s2 and was seeking a way to implement the custom button I created for use with Pay Pal Standard.

My client intends to purchase the Pro version, but at the moment I am testing and having the option to use our custom Pay Pal “Subscribe” button, which shows credit card icons beneath the button, and allows for the option of credit cards, is imperative.

Some clarification on this would be most welcomed.

Many thanks!

Posted: Saturday Dec 1st, 2012 at 1:34 pm #33115

I discovered the answer to this! When placing the short-code of the button onto your page, look for image=”default” in the code. Change “default” to “http://yoursite.com/yourimage.

Posted: Saturday Dec 1st, 2012 at 5:57 pm #33137
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Excellent Lynn! Yes that is the answer. :)

Just wanted to point out though, it can be any URL at all, and it will load it, as long as it’s an image. :)

Posted: Thursday Dec 20th, 2012 at 2:57 am #35124
Rob G
Username: roob

Michael,

you asked exactly the question I have. Please, could you let us know how did you solve the issue?

I dont want to buy s2members Pro and spent a lot of hours to setting it up just to find out that my clients cant pay with creditcard and they need an Paypal account. I certainly dont want to pay for Paypal Pro account.

Thank you very much.

– Robert

Posted: Thursday Dec 20th, 2012 at 10:21 am #35164
Eduan

Hello Rob,

I believe she changed the image of the PayPal button, check this tutorial/hack by me on how to do that: http://eduantech.com/2012/12/using-a-custom-image-for-your-button/

– Eduan

Posted: Friday Dec 21st, 2012 at 3:22 pm #35272
Rob G
Username: roob

Thank you Eduan. I don’t think changing the image will change also the feature. So, I am not sure if this is the answer, but I may be wrong. That’s why I wanted to hear the answer from Michael. Anyway, thank you :)

Posted: Thursday Mar 7th, 2013 at 6:45 pm #44015

Michael,

Did you ever get the answer to this question? I am in the same situation. Does changing the image affect the checkout behavior?

Posted: Friday Mar 8th, 2013 at 2:07 pm #44116
Eduan

Hello Jeff,

No, changing the image only changes the look, the checkout experience remains exactly the same.

– Eduan

Posted: Friday Mar 8th, 2013 at 2:17 pm #44118

That’s what I thought Eduan. So am I correct in the following assumption:

S2 configured with PayPal Standard will NOT allow the user to purchase a membership without having a PayPal account? In other words, they can not use a credit card?

Posted: Tuesday Mar 12th, 2013 at 10:58 am #44368
Eduan

That is somewhat correct. Check this article:
Knowledge Base » PayPal® Services / A Quick Comparison

As it says, if you have a PayPal standard account plus ERP (Enhanced Recurring Payments) you can have recurring payments without the user needing to have a credit card, or without needing to have the pro version.

With PayPal standard without ERP the user can buy memberships without having PayPal, as long as they’re not recurring payments.

Is that clear?
– Eduan

Posted: Wednesday Mar 13th, 2013 at 10:40 am #44491

Hi Eduan,

Hasn’t PayPal changed their account structure? I don’t think they have ERP anymore?

Posted: Sunday Mar 17th, 2013 at 4:20 pm #44994
Eduan

It’s possible that they changed it, honestly their services are a VERY big mess. Perhaps this article contains that info that you’re looking for?:
Knowledge Base » PayPal® Compatibility (Account Types)

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.