latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

PayPal's policy on recurring billing / Cancel

Home Forums Community Forum PayPal's policy on recurring billing / Cancel

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 3 years, 9 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday Mar 11th, 2013 at 5:13 am #44246

I have a site I’m doing that uses s2members Pro for membership… How the client wants it different is that you get 12 weeks of information/downloads upfront in a members area, but you pay weekly over 12 weeks.

The problem here is that According to PayPal’s policy on recurring billing, you MUST provide each and every Customer with an easy to way to cancel future charges. So on day one, they can access and download everything and then unsubscribe the next day and pay for only one week.

The client doesn’t want to have a upfront payment (for 12 week access) which would solve the problem as it will be a big sum and it would be better for get weekly payments that users are more likely to be able to afford

Is there a way where they have to commit to a full 12 weeks to be paid weekly where they cannot cancel it on paypal??

Does anyone know of a solution to my problem

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday Mar 11th, 2013 at 7:02 pm #44286

Can anyone help? I see that I have the option of Authorize.Net® and Google® Checkout – has anyone had any experience with these to know if I can lock them into a payment period before they can cancel?

Please help!

Posted: Tuesday Mar 12th, 2013 at 7:17 pm #44437

Anyone able to reply to this?
I’ve since found out that Google Checkout has the same policy as PayPal where the consumer can cancel at any time so this is not an option, and Authorize.Net doesn’t cater for Australian banks so this is also not an options

Posted: Wednesday Mar 13th, 2013 at 9:46 am #44486
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Hello Rachelle,

I certainly see your point. Well, would using a one-time payment work? Instead of using recurring payments?

They can’t cancel those, and they can last an entire year…

– Eduan

Posted: Wednesday Mar 13th, 2013 at 7:04 pm #44551

Hi Eduan,
thanks for the reply

Although that is the best solution, unfortunately the total of the 12 weeks upfront is quite a large payment and the client is worried that no one will sign up if its not offered as weekly payments

Do you know any other way around my problem?

Posted: Friday Mar 15th, 2013 at 10:22 am #44702

Rachelle, I see what you mean. I guess the best solution in this case would be to give them access to each week’s content as they pay it… You’ll need to do some customization to achieve it, but it’s not impossible.

You could sell the subscription, but manage the access to the content with custom capabilities. Video » s2Member (Custom Capabilities)

Then, use the content dripping approach explained here: [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Content Dripping[/hilite]

But instead of showing the content in the drip, give the user the new week’s custom capability. Knowledge Base » Changing Roles/Capabilities via PHP

Before giving the new ccap, check that the user still is paying the subscription. If your EOT behavior demotes the user to level 0, checking that he’s not at level 0 would indicate he hasn’t been demoted yet. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Advanced PHP Conditionals[/hilite]

Also adjust the EOT Behavior so it doesn’t remove ccaps. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› Automatic EOT Behavior -> Membership EOTs also Remove all Custom Capabilities[/hilite]

The EOT will happen when the subscription payments stop, whether he cancelled or finished paying all the weeks, so you need to adjust that setting.

I hope that helps. :)

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.