latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Playing protected videos on Apple TV

Home Forums Community Forum Playing protected videos on Apple TV

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Mary May 3 years, 11 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Sunday Jan 13th, 2013 at 5:28 pm #37308
Mary May
Username: marymay

(Bob Easton here as Tech Support for Mary May)

Some of our subscribers who own iPads also have Apple TV and want to see our material on the TVs.

Videos protected by s2member play OK on the iPad, using JW Player as the video shell.

When a subscriber tries using JW Player’s “Air Play” option to transfer the video to Apple TV, the result is the message: “”An error occurred loading this content.”

Note well that a couple of introductory videos that are NOT protected and are served from our own “uploads” directory play as expected through AirPlay and Apple TV.

Our protected videos are served from Amazon Web Services S3 using “HTTP pseudo streaming,” NOT through CloudFront or RTMP.

I occasionally eat apples, but know little about how Apple products work. I don’t own any Apple products, so can’t test first hand., and will appreciate the wisdom of those who understand AirPlay and Apple TV.

Thanks,
— Bob

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday Jan 14th, 2013 at 7:43 am #37347
Staff Member

Thanks for your inquiry. ~ We appreciate your patience :-)

AirPlay and Apple TV

I’m sorry but I know absolutely nothing about these services. Hopefully someone else will spot your thread here and chime in for you on this specific area of interest. Anyone?

I will say this however. If you’re trying to support a wide range of devices, I do NOT recommend pseudo streaming through Amazon S3 alone. I would integrate with CloudFront as well, so that you have a true media server, which is going to give you the best reliability and compatibility across a wide range of devices. I recommend CloudFront anytime you’re dealing with audio/video files. Also because there have been numerous reports in our forums about mobile devices not working properly without CloudFront having been integrated, where audio/video streams are concerned.

Please see: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Download Options -› Amazon® S3/CloudFront CDN Storage
See also: Video » s2Member® File Downloads (Amazon S3/CloudFront/JW Player)

Please let us know if problems persist :-)

Posted: Monday Jan 14th, 2013 at 8:25 am #37358
Mary May
Username: marymay

THANKS Jason for the quick answer.

Maybe someone else can tell us how AirPlay works … such as, does it make additional requests, etc.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.