latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Pro Forms & Recurring Payments W/O PayPal Pro

Home Forums Community Forum Pro Forms & Recurring Payments W/O PayPal Pro

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Dec 7th, 2012 at 2:27 pm #33910

Hi,

I realise this has been brought up before, but I can’t find the definitive answer. The situation is this;

I had set up a yearly subscription membership website thinking I wasn’t going to have any problems getting a PayPal Pro account and everything would be fine. Well that did quite go to plan, PayPal declined due to the nature of our site (effectively a discount codes website (apperently)). Anyway, I got on the phone with them after and the guy said it would be possible to do exactly what I need withOUT a PayPal Pro account, but with Premium Services instead.

So I signed up to Premium services… and I’ve got Express Checkout setup too – but I’m still not seeing the option for my user to pay without a PayPal account. I know my PayPal account is set up correctly because creating a button through their website takes me to a different PayPal checkout page with the additional option.

Please can anyone shed some light on the s2member solution and this method of PayPal payments – there must be a lot of people who either can’t get accepted by PayPal for a Pro account or would rather not pay £40 a month (in the UK for recurring payments) – especially when PayPal are saying it can be done without this!

Thanks
Tom

• This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by  Tom Black.
  • This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by  Eduan. Reason: Moved to the customer support forum

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Saturday Dec 8th, 2012 at 7:45 am #33981

Anyone?

Posted: Sunday Dec 9th, 2012 at 2:09 pm #34055
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately the s2Member/PayPal setup requires a PayPal account for recurring billing, no matter what. I’m unsure if there is a known workaround. I’ll ask our dev team if they have any solutions for you.

Posted: Sunday Dec 9th, 2012 at 8:17 pm #34090
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Actually,

Check this article: Knowledge Base » PayPal® Services / A Quick Comparison

If you have at least a PayPal standard account, with ERP (Enhanced Recurring Payments) your members can subscribe, even if they don’t have a PayPal account.

– Eduan

Posted: Monday Dec 10th, 2012 at 6:32 am #34114

Tom, PayPal Standard and Express Checkout require the customer to login to his account when it’s a subscription. There’s the Enhanced Recurring Payments (ERP) service for PayPal Standard so the user is not required a PayPal account, but Express Checkout always requires it. And then there’s PayPal Pro with DPRP for recurring payments, but it seems that’s not an option for you from what you said.

In the past when we’ve recommended ERP, but we don’t do it often, it results in problems for the site owner that they simply do not (or refuse not to) foresee. PayPal may be doing that on purpose, as a way to eventually upsell the site owner to PayPal Pro once they hit a brick wall with ERP.

Anyway, one of the main issues with ERP, is that there’s no way for a customer to cancel future charges, and there’s no way for s2Member to cancel future charges. The only way to cancel future charges is by the site owner logging into their PP account and doing it manually. This is because there’s no PP account associated with the customer, and there’s no usable API enabled with an ERP PayPal account either.

I guess you’ll need to talk with PayPal to see what are your options between the PayPal services s2Member integrates with. Or you can consider another payment gateway, Authorize.Net maybe.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.