latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Problem with IP restrictions

Home Forums Community Forum Problem with IP restrictions

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 3 years, 6 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday Jun 5th, 2013 at 4:04 am #51396

We’ve got several users complaining that they’re receiving 503 errors and notices about too many IP addresses. I know this can be caused by mobile devices, and we don’t think there’s anything odd going on here. I will look at the solutions proposed elsewhere, such as whitelisting certain users.

However, my question is around resetting these users restrictions – all of those who have complained so far, when I edit their profile, have the following label next to the Reset IP checkbox:

*Note* this User is NOT currently banned by any of your IP Restrictions.

??? Is it possible the error they’re seeing isn’t connected to IP restrictions after all, but some other problem? Would you expect this label to be 100% accurate, or is it possible they are banned on IP but the label is wrong?

I will reset them anyway, and ask them to try again, but I was expecting to see an indication here that resetting would have some effect – just for the admins peace of mind!

Many thanks.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Thursday Jun 6th, 2013 at 5:41 am #51470

Maybe the restriction had timed out before you got to the profile and that’s why you didn’t see a warning about it. Are you sure he was still having the trouble the moment you went to reset the restriction? I’d like to confirm this before asking Jason about it.

Posted: Friday Jun 14th, 2013 at 7:34 am #51954

Well, it’s a little confusing – I don’t think it had timed out, as the user was still having problems, and when a colleague of mine went in to view the user’s record a while later, the warning was there. When this subsequently happened to 2 other users, I also didn’t see the warning in their profiles, but resetting their IP ban fixed it for them.

Perhaps it isn’t being updated instantly, or some other caching effect?

Posted: Saturday Jun 15th, 2013 at 5:23 am #51983

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll forward it to Jason so he can take a look.

Cache could affect this, I guess. Make sure you don’t have database or object caching enabled, they’re known to cause random problems.

Posted: Monday Jun 17th, 2013 at 11:27 pm #52056

A new version of s2Member was released earlier today, and it includes some improvements to the IP restriction. Please try updating s2Member to benefit from this and let us know if you see the problem happening again. Thanks! :)

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.