latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

problem with specific Post/Page acces

Home Forums Community Forum problem with specific Post/Page acces

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  boudewijn lutgerink 3 years, 11 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Tuesday Feb 5th, 2013 at 7:38 pm #40883

Reading about the possibility for non members to “buy” access to one specific post I did a small test on my site and ran into the following behavior.
First I go to:

Restriction options->Specific Post/Page Access Restriction 

and type in the ID of the post I want to restrict access to.
This post has NO other restrictions (like a membership level).
I then go to:

PayPal->Specific Post/Page (Buy Now) Button 

and create a shortcode for that post.
So far so good.
I copy the shortcode to the post. And indeed the button shows up … as long as I am logged in as a member!
When logging out and going to that URL I am immediately redirected to the membership options page… Which is NOT what I want.
Actually what I expect to see is that the “buy Now” button does NOT show up when I am logged in as a member and shows up when I am logged out. I did NOT expect to be redirected to the membership options page.
The post has a “More” tag in it. For other restricted posts (with a membership level restriction) this bring the non-member to the membership options page (which is good) but for this I would like to see the page with button.

What do I do wrong?

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Thursday Feb 7th, 2013 at 4:39 pm #41060
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

I copy the shortcode to the post. And indeed the button shows up … as long as I am logged in as a member!
When logging out and going to that URL I am immediately redirected to the membership options page… Which is NOT what I want.

Your Specific Post/Page Buy Now buttons should not be in the Post that you have protected with Specific Post/Page Access Restrictions. s2Member will ALWAYS redirect to the Membership Options Page when a user does not have access to content. You should put this Specific Post/Page Buy Now button into your Membership Options Page, so that when a user tries to access the Post/Page, they are redirected to the button to buy it.

Does that make sense?

Posted: Friday Feb 8th, 2013 at 12:11 am #41166

Well, I understand what you say. Does it make sense? No not at all. That means that for each and every article I want to protect I have to add a button to the membership options page. I have over 200 articles protected for level 1 members. I want to make it possible to read them on a one time basis.
The membership options page would then be cluttered with 200 “buy now” buttons.
Also the behavior is different from the level 1 articles.
I have an intro to the main part of the articles then a more tag and then the remainder of the article.
EVERYBODY can read the intro. Only when they click on the more tag WWITHOUT being logged in the visitor is redirected to the membership options page. Which does make sense.
If I use the URL to the specific post/page I do not even see the intro to the article but I get a redirect to the membership options page. So how can I know then whether or not I want to read the rest of the post?

Posted: Saturday Feb 9th, 2013 at 11:04 pm #41287
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

If I use the URL to the specific post/page I do not even see the intro to the article but I get a redirect to the membership options page. So how can I know then whether or not I want to read the rest of the post?

The membership options page would then be cluttered with 200 “buy now” buttons.

If this is the case, you may want to use Custom Capabilities, and s2Member’s Advanced PHP Conditionals on your Protected Posts. This will allow you to show content for your Post depending on the User’s Role/Capabilities, and show a Buy Now Button/Pro Form for your Post based on the current Post’s ID.

If you use Custom Capabilities based on the Post’s ID, you could even automate this in a custom theme template. You might have something like this in your Theme’s template:

http://jobs.wordpress.net, or another freelance web site where WordPress® experts are offering their expertise through a bid on your project.
[/note_box]

Posted: Saturday Feb 9th, 2013 at 11:33 pm #41289

Thanks for the idea Bruce. I definetely need to take a good look at custom capabilities!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.