latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Protected Page Redirect Issues

Home Forums Community Forum Protected Page Redirect Issues

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 4 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday Aug 20th, 2012 at 11:56 am #22574
Ken Moody
Username: kenmoody

I am receiving a small but steady stream of reports from my premium customers that they cannot access some of our protected premium content, but they can access most other protected pages.

Our main page can be viewed here:

http://dynastyleaguefootball.com

A few of the protected member pages:

http://dynastyleaguefootball.com/2012/dynasty-capsule-tampa-bay-buccaneers

http://dynastyleaguefootball.com/2012/start-up-dynasty-draft-strategies

http://dynastyleaguefootball.com/2012/dynasty-capsule-seattle-seahawks

I’ve been troubleshooting the issue for weeks now, and this is what I have determined so far regarding the issue.

* It is not an issue with mixing www. and non-www prefixed pages. All of our pages acress the site do not use the www prefix.

* It only affects a small number of people, but for those whom it does affect, it tends to be a recurring issue.

* I cannot identify a common element among the affected users. They are using a variety of OS’s, and a variety of browsers.

* If the user flushes thier browser cache, that seems to usually correct the issue for a short while, but the issue almost always returns within a day or two.

* I am unable to reproduce the issue on any of my PC’s or browsers, which makes troubleshooting this very difficult.

* I have tried turning off as many plugins as is possible in order to troubleshoot the issue, but none of them seemed to make a difference.

* Our site is hosted at wpengine, and they use some very aggressive server side caching. However, I have turned down the server caching mechanisms as much as possible to no effect, and I think if it were a server side caching issue, it would be affecting a large number of users, not just a few here and there.

While the overall number of issues I am hearing about this is realatively small, it is serious enough to have had three customers now cancel thier subscriptions. I’d like to determine the nature of the issue if I can, before losing any more customers.

Thank you very much for your help!

Ken

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday Aug 21st, 2012 at 2:35 am #22604
Jack
Username: villalaredo62

Ken, don’t know if this will help…but are you running caching software?…perhaps you are serving up cached pages?

Posted: Tuesday Aug 21st, 2012 at 8:27 am #22633

Hi Ken.

* If the user flushes thier browser cache, that seems to usually correct the issue for a short while, but the issue almost always returns within a day or two.

I agree that if it were a server thing, it’d be more general, but I’m not sure. It’s likely to have something to do with their browsers’ caching, since they seem to have solved the problem temporarily with it.

Are they being redirected to the Membership Options page? If so, could you have then copy the URL with all the MOP vars and send them to you so you can see better what restriction is being applied?

Could you ask one of them for his login info so you login to his account and browse the site when he reports having the access problem again?

Also, are they sure they’re still logged in when they get that access problem or if they were logged out for some reason? I’m starting to think this may have something to do with it…

Some have their browsers remove all cookies/sessions, and they may come back to the site expecting to still be in their account and browse the protected content, when they’re actually now logged out.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.