latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Protecting Libsyn Download Links

Home Forums Community Forum Protecting Libsyn Download Links

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Bruce 3 years, 8 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday Apr 17th, 2013 at 6:25 pm #47701

My media host is Libsyn. Is it also possible to protect those downloads with s2member pro with a short code?

Thanks,
bj

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Thursday Apr 18th, 2013 at 12:17 am #47745
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Thank you for your inquiry.

s2Member currently does not have any direct integration with Libsyn, but you might be able to use the information provided here to integrate.

See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Download Options -› Remote Auth/Podcasting

Posted: Thursday Apr 18th, 2013 at 2:44 am #47759

I use Libsyn just like I woud use Amazon S3. I use it for downloading pdfs, videos, mp3s and zip files. I don’t want to use it as a podcast for my membership site.

I don’t want to regulate the number of downloads because Libsyn doesn’t charge for the number of downloads. So I don’t care if a member downloads something 1000 times. I just want a basic link restriction that non-members can’t have access to.

So if I take the short code, as you suggest for remote auth/podcasting:

[s2File download="example-file.zip" remote="yes" /]

put a libsyn direct download link in it:

http://traffic.libsyn.com/sylvialee/Vocal_Podcast_006.mp3

I see that one needs to login to get access to it. But is that just for logged-out users or also for logged-in users? Meaning do the logged-in members need to put in a username and password each time they try to download something?

To to sum up:

1) What are my options in basic link protection from non-members?
2) Can I use the remote download function where the logged-in users don’t need to fill in their user name and password each time they download?
3) Would it just be easier to put all of my libsyn download links on a restricted page to avoid having to restrict access to the downloads individually?
4) Or how would you go about protecting such download links with Libsyn?

Thanks,
BJ

Posted: Monday Apr 22nd, 2013 at 6:45 pm #48116
Bruce
Staff Member

I’m very sorry for the delay, this thread was buried over the weekend.

1) What are my options in basic link protection from non-members?
2) Can I use the remote download function where the logged-in users don’t need to fill in their user name and password each time they download?
3) Would it just be easier to put all of my libsyn download links on a restricted page to avoid having to restrict access to the downloads individually?
4) Or how would you go about protecting such download links with Libsyn?

At this time you can really only use s2Member’s /s2member-files/ folder or Amazon S3 / Cloudfront integration without custom code being put into your I’ll add Libsyn to our list of requests as a possible alternative in the future. In your current situation, I would recommend either moving your files to the /s2member-files/ directory, or using your idea on #3 to send Users to downloads. Note that these links could (probably) still be shared, as they won’t be protected by s2Member.

Using the Remote Auth option would make it easier to integrate Libsyn with s2Member, but would still require custom code.

Posted: Tuesday Apr 23rd, 2013 at 2:56 am #48152

Could you give me some orientation on what you mean by custom code? Are you aware of any plugin or add-on that will do the trick?

Posted: Tuesday Apr 23rd, 2013 at 7:10 pm #48223
Bruce
Staff Member

Could you give me some orientation on what you mean by custom code? Are you aware of any plugin or add-on that will do the trick?

I’m sorry but I’m not aware of any plugins or add-ons that would make this possible. I can tell you that if you decide to go with the custom code route you’re looking at using an edited version of this file:

/s2member/includes/classes/files-in.inc.php

I’d imagine the first thing you’d do is create the authentication routines for your Libsyn integration, and have s2Member grab the file if they pass the checks s2Member does in the first Function in this PHP Class. If you’re dealing with big files, you might need to have something done with chunked downloads, or maybe Libsyn handles this. I’m not experienced with Libsyn so I’m not sure what will be needed totally, but I imagine a developer familiar with Libsyn or s2Member would not have many problems integrating s2Member with Libsyn here.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.