latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

punishment continues – any tips?

Home Forums Community Forum punishment continues – any tips?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Mary Sullivan 3 years, 12 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday Jan 7th, 2013 at 3:18 pm #36479

I’ve read some topics about the restriction not clearing after the prescribed amount of time. What advice can I give a customer who has been locked out and the restriction (punishment) is lasting well beyond the 30 minutes that I have set it to?

They were locked out while away over the holidays and are now back at their home computer and still get the locked out error code. I’ve manually un-restricted them, but can you give some tips on what they can do or check to avoid this in future?

Thanks

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Wednesday Jan 9th, 2013 at 4:52 am #36701

Could it be that someone else got their login info and shared it? If so, others may be causing the account to get blocked and your customer never gets a chance to access the site…

What I’d suggest would be to first have him change the password and remind him not to share it. Then see if he runs into trouble again…

If he has a dynamic IP, or logs in from several devices, you may want to raise the number of IPs that users can have in a given period before being blocked.

Posted: Wednesday Jan 9th, 2013 at 10:55 am #36776

He’s one of the directors of the company, so it isn’t likely he would fib about sharing his login, and he used it while away, got blocked and the punishment just continued. For two weeks! When it is set for 30 minutes.

That’s the issue, once blocked, we find that we always have to manually clear their account again. The punishment period doesn’t clear. And as he used a totally different computer when he got home again, the cache shouldn’t be an issue as that was the one he usually logs in from.

Posted: Friday Jan 11th, 2013 at 7:13 am #36959
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Thanks for the follow-up

He’s one of the directors of the company, so it isn’t likely he would fib about sharing his login, and he used it while away, got blocked and the punishment just continued. For two weeks! When it is set for 30 minutes.

As Cristián mentioned above, sharing logins is not the only thing that can cause this to happen. If he was using a mobile device, or multiple computers to access this, as he seems to have had been, this can get fired. However, the issue is not in the fact that he was locked out, but rather that he was revoked access for so long.

What may have happened is that if you had not yet saved any of the options under Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options, there was not any time period yet set up. I will contact Jason and ask if it is possible that this is the case. In the mean time, please go press the Save All Changes button at the bottom of Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options, and keep an eye out for if any further issues persist.

If you have any further issues, please reply here, or create a new topic linking here and we will take a look at your specific installation of s2Member.

Posted: Friday Jan 11th, 2013 at 4:00 pm #37038

Thanks Bruce, but the options within Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options, has been saved for quite a while, but this has come up a few times.

If I get more complaints about it, I’ll come back again to revisit. Thank you for understanding the problem.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.