latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Purchase/submit button often failing-no error

Home Forums Community Forum Purchase/submit button often failing-no error

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Jason (Lead Developer) 4 years, 6 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Saturday Jun 16th, 2012 at 5:22 pm #16693

Hi there,

This issue has persisted since we publicly launched in February. A fairly high percentage of our customers contacting us are reporting that attempting to purchase one of our options- fails without any sign as to why. The button to submit info is clicked – but gives no response at all.

Some have been asked to try again in a few days.. and the same occurs until we create the sale for them manually from our end by phone. : /

Our customer service team has repeatedly ask to find a solution – as the # of complaints grows with lack of phone/man power to tend to it. There have been consistent successful sales in this time as well.

Any ideas what might be causing this conflict? Or where to try troubleshooting again? e use only the PaypalPro gateway buttons, 3 options: monthly sub, 6months and full year.
A variety of plugins are in effect and have been turned off to try and spot a problem but i’ve never been able to recreate the hangup.

-grace

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday Jun 19th, 2012 at 2:58 am #16828

Hi Grace.

It’s weird that some would go through and others not…

Could you post a link to the page with the buttons?

Could you upload this to your WP directory and load it in your browser, please? http://www.s2member.com/r/server-check-tool/

Have you checked if your problem may be related to this? Knowledge Base » Mod Security, Random 503/403 Errors

Posted: Tuesday Jun 19th, 2012 at 8:23 am #16895

This is our Memberships option page: http://video.icu2.com/membership-options/
each type is linked from there.

The server check is now in place:
http://video.icu2.com/s2member-server-check-120526.php

Posted: Tuesday Jun 19th, 2012 at 6:53 pm #16933

Thanks.

I see a couple of warnings in the server check. It’d be good to fix them.

Did you check out the mod_security article?

Do you have logs of the transactions with the problem? [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› Account Details -› Logging[/hilite]

You can email the logs from your s2member-logs folder via the Contact Form. s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Posted: Tuesday Jun 26th, 2012 at 8:47 am #17535

There are two warnings on that results list .. neither of which i’m capable yet of fixing. Do you suppose they have anything to do with the current problem??

90% of the purchase attempts succeed, while about 5-10% fail with no error statement.. just an idling submit button.

[ERROR] Mcrypt/Encryption Extension
[ERROR] Multibyte String Extension

The logs that are being collected don’t seem to show any attempt histories.. just successful payments and IPN processes of existing users.

Is there something more i need to set to be logged? Ideally i want to be able to see via IP or name or email addy the failed attempt somewhere in the logs… no? when i search the logs for the names of the people experiencing the issue.. they are nowhere to be found in any of the three logs.

My logs folder only collects paypal_api / paypal_ipn / paypal_rtn and mailchimp.

Posted: Wednesday Jun 27th, 2012 at 12:53 am #17620

I see. Then the failed attempts aren’t even getting to the point where the log starts. :/

It may be a JavaScript problem, or a problem with the JS trying to connect to a URL that’s not working, which is why I ask about mod_security. Did you read the article? Knowledge Base » Mod Security, Random 503/403 Errors

Have you been able to reproduce the issue or does it still seem random? It’d be good to find something in common between the failed attemps. Do you have server logs that show anything?

Having a Firefox add-on like HttpFox running while a failed attempt happens may show something. Also, having the console open in Firefox when you have the failed attempt, may show an error in the execution that gives a clue.

Not sure how the lack of these affects s2Member. I’ll email Jason.

Posted: Wednesday Jun 27th, 2012 at 3:20 pm #17683
Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up on this request for support.

Yes, what you’ve described here could certainly be attributed to these missing PHP extensions. While I do NOT recommend it, s2Member can live without the Mcrypt extension. In that case, your site is less secure however; so it will be good to install this, so it’s possible for s2Member to use a better form of encryption.

The Multibyte string extension is most likely the cause of the problems you’re reporting. If this extension is missing, s2Member may be unable to convert character encodings. So if some customers have special characters in form input, or they occur elsewhere in post-processing of a transaction, it can lead to seemingly random issues like the ones you’ve described. ModSecurity has also been known to cause some problems like this. See: Knowledge Base » Mod Security, Random 503/403 Errors

Most hosting companies have both of these extensions ready to go. So a quick email to them should resolve the issue in many cases. Just let them know which ones are missing, and they’ll have them turned on for you.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.