latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Reference Transactions now needed? s2 dead

Home Forums Community Forum Reference Transactions now needed? s2 dead

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Bruce 3 years, 6 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Tuesday Jun 11th, 2013 at 3:52 pm #51779

Ok, so with the May update to s2, my sign ups are now getting this error message when trying to use Paypal on my pro forms.

Error #1. User authentication failed: 11452-Merchant not enabled for reference transactions. Please contact PayPal Merchant Technical Support (www.paypal.com/mts) and request `Recurring Billing` service, and also ask to have `Reference Transactions` enabled for Recurring Billing via Express Checkout.

So.. I contact Paypal and aske them to enable ‘reference transactions’ as the error message says (I already have Payflow with recurring billing and it was working just dandy till a couple weeks ago).

Today, I recieve an email that my reference transactions have been declined and to re-apply in 90 days.

So – I went from a nicely set up s2 with Paypal to it effectively being useless. Now what?

What’s the work-around at the very least?

Seriously not happy.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by  Eduan. Reason: Moved to the customers forum

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday Jun 18th, 2013 at 12:27 pm #52113
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Thank you for reporting this important issue.

Sorry for the delay in response. In the future please post in the Customers Forum when posting something like this. The thread was buried because it had to be moved.

I’m getting information on this and I’ll get back to you on this ASAP. It would be useful if you could give us the versions of WordPress and s2Member you’re running, and run the Server Scanner here:

Knowledge Base » s2Member® Server Scanner

Posted: Tuesday Jun 18th, 2013 at 2:26 pm #52139

Bruce – thank you for getting back to me.

s2 pro version 130513
WP version 3.5.1

Server scanner passed all except one thing.

[ERROR] Mcrypt/Encryption Extension
Missing Mcrypt extension. s2Member® needs the Mcrypt extension for PHP. This will add encryption support to your installation of PHP, with a variety of block algorithms; such as DES, TripleDES, and Blowfish. Please consult with your web hosting company about this message.

I have spoken extensively with Paypal about this issue. They are saying they won’t give us reference transactions as it means we will have access to peoples credit card data… but the credit and debit cards are processed fine using pro forms – it’s the paypal payments that are affected anyway – so this makes no sense.

I was looking into perhaps a workaround of removing paypal button off proforms and installing traditional paypal buttons to see if this at least could keep us going for now?

L

Posted: Wednesday Jun 19th, 2013 at 2:44 pm #52230
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Thanks for your patience. This was his reply:

With Payflow Edition, in order to charge PayPal accounts via Express Checkout on a recurring basis, you need to have both Recurring Billing and Reference Transactions enabled. I’ve never heard of PayPal saying YES to a Payflow Edition (PayPal Pro) application, but declining a site owner the ability to use Reference Transactions. They are right, that makes no sense to me either.

In any case though, if PayPal will not approve Reference Transactions against a Payflow Edition account ,the only way to charge PayPal customers on a recurring basis is through traditional PayPal Subscription Buttons (e.g. s2Member -› PayPal Buttons). You can use Pro Forms to charge customers that want to pay with a credit card, but if a customer wants to use PayPal, they should use a PayPal Subscription Button, because the site owner is not enabled for Reference Transactions; and thus, the site owner cannot create a Billing Agreement via Express Checkout under the Payflow Edition.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.