latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Refunds not closing out users

Home Forums Community Forum Refunds not closing out users

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices. Last updated by  Jason (Lead Developer) 3 years, 11 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Tuesday Jan 8th, 2013 at 5:40 pm #36622

I have my Refunds/Reversals ( trigger immediate EOT ) setting set to Refunds/Reversals (ALWAYS trigger an immediate EOT action). Yet a cancellation followed by a PayPal refund still allows that user account to login. Shouldn’t a refund trigger an account shut down?

If it does work, how will I know it looking at the User list inside my account? I only know this from testing my own test order account and actually logging in.

I have the logging enabled, but it doesn’t have anything in there that is related to a refund. Just the initial test order I did right after I turned on the logging.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Wednesday Jan 9th, 2013 at 7:25 am #36730

Shouldn’t a refund trigger an account shut down?

The default Auto EOT Behavior is a demotion, but you can change it to an account deletion if you prefer it. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› Automatic EOT Behavior[/hilite]

I hope that helps. :)

Posted: Wednesday Jan 9th, 2013 at 7:47 am #36735

If by demoted you mean her role changed from s2Member Level 1 to something else, then the user I tested with was not demoted either.

Here’s what I did:

I created a PayPal Subscr Cancellation Button. I used the Shortcode to put it on a page. (It did not put any extra space above the button like it does with the payment buttons.)

She clicked the button and it canceled her subscription within PayPal. So far, so good.

Then I went into PayPal and refunded her payment. Nothing happened within s2Member.

Posted: Thursday Jan 10th, 2013 at 5:07 am #36841
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Hi Kim,

Thanks for the info!

She clicked the button and it canceled her subscription within PayPal. So far, so good.

Then I went into PayPal and refunded her payment. Nothing happened within s2Member.

As per the documentation under Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› Automatic EOT Behavior:

*Some Hairy Details* There might be times whenever you notice that a Member’s Subscription has been cancelled through PayPal®… but, s2Member continues allowing the User access to your site as a paid Member. Please don’t be confused by this… in 99.9% of these cases, the reason for this is legitimate. s2Member will only remove the User’s Membership privileges when an EOT ( End Of Term ) is processed, a refund occurs, a chargeback occurs, or when a cancellation occurs – which would later result in a delayed Auto-EOT by s2Member.

s2Member will not process an EOT until the User has completely used up the time they paid for. In other words, if a User signs up for a monthly Subscription on Jan 1st, and then cancels their Subscription on Jan 15th; technically, they should still be allowed to access the site for another 15 days, and then on Feb 1st, the time they paid for has completely elapsed. At that time, s2Member will remove their Membership privileges; by either demoting them to a Free Subscriber, or deleting their account from the system ( based on your configuration ). s2Member also calculates one extra day ( 24 hours ) into its equation, just to make sure access is not removed sooner than a Customer might expect.

Essentially what this means is that s2Member will ALWAYS give the user access to whatever amount of time they originally paid for. When a user cancels recurring billing, s2Member is told to revoke access when the user was supposed to be charged once more.

Note that, also, if you are manually refunding a user, you will need to also manually demote them. So where you said that you refunded the user and they were not demoted, this is the expected behavior. The user will be automatically demoted by s2Member when the subscription ends, or you can manually demote them. This allows the most flexibility within the processes.

Posted: Thursday Jan 10th, 2013 at 2:05 pm #36875

I understand the cancellation not causing a demotion. That makes perfect sense. However, according to the paragraph right above the one you quoted, the refund should have triggered a demotion.

The PayPal® IPN service will notify s2Member whenever a Member’s payments have been failing, and/or whenever a Member’s Subscription has expired for any reason. Even refunds & chargeback reversals are supported through the IPN service. For example, if you issue a refund to an unhappy Customer through PayPal®, s2Member will eventually be notified, and the account for that Customer will either be demoted to a Free Subscriber, or deleted automatically ( based on your configuration ). The communication from PayPal® -> s2Member is seamless.

Posted: Saturday Jan 12th, 2013 at 4:56 am #37099
Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up on this thread :-)

@ Kim Dushinski

Yes, this SHOULD have triggered an immediate EOT upon refunding the customer. If it did not, I would double-check to be sure the customer’s account in WordPress has the Paid Subscr. ID field filled in, and that the value stored in the field DOES match up with the transaction and/or subscription that you refunded at PayPal.

This setting needs to be enabled here, which you said you did already.
Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› Automatic EOT Behavior

I would also make sure that you’ve configured your IPN URL at PayPal if this problem continues. Please log into your PayPal account and be sure that your PayPal account has an IPN URL configured, pointing to the IPN handler established for your installation of s2Member.

See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› PayPal® IPN Integration

If problems persist, please enable s2Member’s logging routines in your Dashboard, and then submit your log files to use privately when/if this happens again. That way we can tell you exactly what and why it happened :-) If you already had logging enabled, please feel free to post those log files now.

See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› Account Details -› Logging
Please use this form to submit your log files: s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Posted: Monday Jan 14th, 2013 at 12:34 pm #37477

Jason:

Thanks for your reply.

It was the IPN URL configuration that was the culprit. This is now working properly.

Kim

Posted: Monday Jan 14th, 2013 at 12:37 pm #37478
Staff Member

Thanks for the follow-up :-)

OK. Great! Thanks for reporting back on this. Really appreciate that :-)

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.