latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Registration in Multisite Environment

Home Forums Community Forum Registration in Multisite Environment

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 3 years, 9 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday May 2nd, 2012 at 1:59 pm #12388

I recently installed the free version of S2 Member for evaluation purposes and I’m very impressed. However, I’m having an issue that is preventing me from moving forward. I realize this is not the official support forum but I’m hoping someone can help me out.

I’m running WordPress as a multisite network using the domain mapping plugin by Donncha. There are just 3 sites in subfolders, and they are all owned and operated by me. They are all independent, have completely different domain names and only one requires S2 Member. The other two don’t need user registration/login at all.

domainA.com – root
domainB.com – located in subfolder of root, S2 Member activated
domainC.com – located in subfolder of root

Ordinary domain mapping works fine and visitors can get to each of the sites on the proper domain. When I administer each site, I can login at the proper domain and I stay on the proper domain.

But here’s the problem:

On domain B with S2 Member activated, I would like to allow Free Members (level 0) and one level of Supporting Members (level 1). The S2 login form appears as it should, but the Register link that points to domainB.com/wp-login.php?action=register gets redirected to domainA.com/wp-signup.php (the root site) where the default WordPress registration page shows up. Also, the “lost your password?” link points directly to domainA.com/wp-login.php?action=lostpassword (the root site).

Now here are my questions:

1. Is this expected behavior, or does it sound like I have something screwed up?

2. Is there some way for S2 Member to take control of this process and keep people on the proper domain (domainB.com in this case)?

3. If they cannot be kept on the proper domain, what should I be doing on the root domain to make sure that visitors get registered for the proper site?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

• This topic was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by  Eduan. Reason: Moved to the customer support forum

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Thursday May 3rd, 2012 at 5:29 am #12443
Epix Media
Username: epixmedia

Hi Paul, I’ve not used s2member on a multisite install but have used multisite. When you login to your subsites as an admin, do you do it from domainA.com/wp-login.php, or does each subsite have its own login page on its own domain?

I ask because it could be to do with the configuration of your domain mapping plugin. The one I use has several options to do with how the mapping works, including what page you login at (ie at your master site – domainA.com/wp-login.php or on the sub sites own domain – domainB.com/wp-login.php)…

Might be worth a look!

Posted: Thursday May 3rd, 2012 at 11:52 am #12473

Thanks for the reply. When I login to my subsites as an admin, I do it for that subsite’s domain. So for example, when dealing with domainB.com, I login on domainB.com and I stay on domainB.com. Logins are fine… where I’m running into trouble is with registration of new users.

That said, the more research I do, the more it seems that multisite is not the proper solution for my needs. It appears that multisite is most appropriate for a network of sites that need a common user database, where it makes sense for the users to be aware of the root domain. I was simply using it for ease of administration, and it works fine for that purpose if you just have one person or a small team that will admin simple sites. But when you need to add membership functionality on a subsite (and keep it independent from the root site) it becomes problematic and more of a headache than it’s worth. I’m now heavily leaning toward migrating my membership site to a single install.

I’d still like to know what S2 Member considers “multisite support” to be. I think it’s something different than what I had assumed. (not knocking S2 Member at all for that, it just needs to be clarified)

Posted: Thursday May 10th, 2012 at 5:18 am #13131

I want to use the regular registration page. So, I changed the S2member Multisite Registration Configuration settings on /wp-admin/admin.php?page=ws-plugin–s2member-mms-ops to: Membership only, no blogs.

My understanding is that this should change the registration page to the standard /wp-login.php?action=register

But after I made this config change, and saved, I got these error messages in screenshot: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4Oz9dgIXXR9V01oeEVjSEdIVHc

Then, when I click on : /wp-login.php?action=register , the site redirects to /wp-signup.php and which now has the message” Registration has been disabled”.

Thanks for your assistance.

Posted: Sunday May 13th, 2012 at 1:06 am #13326

I’d still like to know what S2 Member considers “multisite support” to be. I think it’s something different than what I had assumed. (not knocking S2 Member at all for that, it just needs to be clarified)

No problem, Paul, I can understand that it may be confusing. We’ll try to improve the description: http://www.s2member.com/prices/#s2-terms-blog-farming

I hope that helps.

Posted: Sunday May 13th, 2012 at 1:10 am #13327

Hi Tiffany.

Let me see if understand: you had a multisite network and you’re trying to change it back to a regular WP installation?

Multisite will use [hilite mono]wp-signup.php[/hilite] instead of the regular [hilite mono]wp-login.php?action=register[/hilite], this is not something s2Member changes, it’s WordPress’.

About the messages regarding those files not being writable, it means that s2Member could not apply the patches automatically and you’ll either have to edit the permissions so it can be done, or you’ll have to apply them manually (the instructions are in that page).

I hope that helps. :)

Posted: Sunday Jul 1st, 2012 at 1:48 am #18006

I’m currently working on a new install of wordpress multisite using subdomains.

I have a main site (empty) @ moonshinemedia.cc

I have 4 “subdomain” sites @ xxxxxxxx.moonshinemedia.cc that are being mapped with: WordPress MU Domain Mapping to standard domains.

The one I’m currently working with (Probably the same problem on all, though)…
keepourforestopen.org

This is the domain that I’ve activated S2Member Pro.

I’m walking through the setup (step at a time) and am at the: LOGIN/REGISTRATION DESIGN –

Login/Registration Page Customization ( required )

These settings customize your Standard Login/Registration Pages:
( http://keepourforestopen.org/wp-login.php?action=register )

The above “registration url” takes me to the main site for registration. All of these sites are independent. I installed Multisite because I thought it was just that…multi (many) sites. The information I read before said it was the direction that developers/designers were going…because of it’s ease of updating and managing.

I’ve searched and am thoroughly confused. I’m not sure if things have changed with updates to WordPress or ?????

All of my sites seem to have “separate” users…I’ve tested and added to one and it doesn’t show up in others…That’s good!

However, all site users show up in the Network Admin Panel. That doesn’t bug me so much, but when a user is deleted from a site… the site is removed from said user name, but the user remains…even if it’s not associated with a site…

2 Questions…

1. How do I make the “registration” urls actually stay within the site. I thought that this is what the domain mapping was supposed to do. They’re all separate sites…I can’t have it redirect to the main site for registers.

2. How do I make a user be deleted from the Network Admin when they’re deleted from a site?

Sorry if this is too long, but I’m somewhat new to all of this and am trying to learn quickly. This one has me stumped!

Thanks so much!

Posted: Tuesday Jul 3rd, 2012 at 2:00 pm #18209

As an update, I decided to remove my site from a multisite environment.

I am now running these sites on separate wordpress installs.

Posted: Tuesday Mar 12th, 2013 at 10:05 pm #44443
Thomas Rivera
Username: pingme

Please help! I just installed s2member and signup for the pro version. I am running multi site for but I am the owner for all my child sites. When I goto the /wp-login.php?action=register on the subdomain its redirecting me to the the primary domain /sign-up. I want the regstration to remain on the child blog/subdomian blog. Please help I am totally blocked and cannot proceed. What is the fix?

Posted: Friday Mar 15th, 2013 at 1:45 pm #44730
Eduan
Username: Eduan
Moving this topic to the customer support forum since all the users involved are paid users. :)
Posted: Monday Mar 18th, 2013 at 11:23 pm #45111

Thomas, do you have Open Registration enabled?

Could you submit your site’s info? Please let me know when you sent it. s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.