latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Remove "Item Number" and "Options" on Paypal

Home Forums Community Forum Remove "Item Number" and "Options" on Paypal

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Bruce 4 years, 1 month ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Sunday Dec 2nd, 2012 at 10:34 pm #33260

Hello,

I’ve been using this plugin for quite a while now on my site and it’s been great.

Now, I’m switching from clickbank over to paypal (Website Standard Payments) and I noticed that on the paypal “Order Summary” area, there are two variables that I wish to remove:

Item Number: 1 (This seems pretty arbitrary, not a big deal).

Options: Referencing Customer ID: 1, Customer IP Address: 76.85.44.152 (This option kind of concerns me for two reasons – first, I wouldn’t really like the customer number to be identitical to how many sales I have and secondly, I wouldn’t want buyers being concerned about their IP address being tracked, although we know it almost is always being recorded).

I spent a decent amount of time searching about how to remove these two lines in the Order Summary on paypal but I couldn’t find anything helpful.

Please let me know how I can achieve this.

Thank You
Chad

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday Dec 3rd, 2012 at 1:44 am #33268
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Hi Chad,

The options laid out above are things that are required by PayPal itself and not something that you can control.

If you’d like to hide these options, we suggest using a Pro Form with PayPal Pro. This data will then be suppressed.

Posted: Tuesday Dec 4th, 2012 at 10:24 am #33435

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for the quick reply.

Unfortunately, the pro forms look really weird on my site and there would be extra charges to run an SSL certificate just to hide these two lines of code.

My suggestion for s2member would be to integrate with Paypal Payflow’s hosted checkout page solution because they look more natural in one’s site.

In anycase, I would still like to remove those two variables: “item number” and “options”

I just spoke with paypal and they said it’s totally doable to hide/supress those two lines of code.

Here’s what they said:

“You can use the variable called “custom” that can pass through the information that doesn’t show. It works just like the invoice does.”

Would you or Jason be able to help me implement this?

Thank You
Chad

Posted: Wednesday Dec 5th, 2012 at 8:12 am #33538

Unfortunately, the pro forms look really weird on my site and there would be extra charges to run an SSL certificate just to hide these two lines of code.

SSL is not required if you’re using Express Checkout, which is a free PayPal service similar to Website Payments Standard. Pre Sale FAQs » Do I need an SSL certificate to use PayPal® Pro or Authorize.Net®?

If the pro-forms look weird, then there may be another plugin, or the theme, affecting the JavaScript or CSS for the pro-form. Please read this article, in particlar the parts related to the theme and other plugins: Knowledge Base » Common Troubleshooting Tips.

Options: Referencing Customer ID: 1, Customer IP Address: 76.85.44.152 (This option kind of concerns me for two reasons – first, I wouldn’t really like the customer number to be identitical to how many sales I have and secondly, I wouldn’t want buyers being concerned about their IP address being tracked, although we know it almost is always being recorded).

The customer ID being referenced is the user’s WP ID, so that the transaction upgrades his account. If that is missing, s2Member will assume the payment to be for a new account, not the existing one.

“You can use the variable called “custom” that can pass through the information that doesn’t show. It works just like the invoice does.”

You could try removing those variables from the PayPal button and put them as custom values in the [hilite mono]custom[/hilite] field, but then you’d need to pick them up when the user is returned to s2Member and populate the variables s2Member is expecting for them to avoid trouble. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Buttons -› Shortcode Attributes -> custom[/hilite]

Posted: Wednesday Dec 5th, 2012 at 4:15 pm #33621

Hey there!

I logged out and then clicked the paypal button and the fields are still there but now the option field says “originating domain: http://www.communitycollegetransferstudents.com, ip:…” which is much better than a customer id!

Thanks for explaining this. I’m much more comfortable with it now.

The other question I have is: how can customize the page after being sent back from paypal? It’s the all gray page that prompts you to register. I would just like to make it look more like the registration page or like my site so the visitors don’t get thrown off.

If you would just point me in the right direction on what file to customize and the url to access that page, I would really appreciate it.

Thank You
Chad

Posted: Wednesday Dec 5th, 2012 at 6:39 pm #33635
Bruce
Staff Member

Hi Chad,

You can use the success=”” attribute in your shortcode to send the user to a different page on your site. You can find info on this attribute in Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Custom Return URLs Upon Success.

Posted: Wednesday Dec 5th, 2012 at 6:49 pm #33637

Cool.

Does the success=”” attribute work on the regular paypal website standard payment button shortcode too? or is it only for pro form shortcode?

Posted: Wednesday Dec 5th, 2012 at 6:51 pm #33638
Bruce
Staff Member

Hi Chad,

The success=”” attribute is enabled on the PayPal standard buttons when you have s2Member Pro installed.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.