latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Restrict access to product categories

Home Forums Community Forum Restrict access to product categories

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  matt howell 3 years, 11 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Sunday Feb 3rd, 2013 at 11:34 am #40555

Goal:
Users have to register to view certain wp ecommerce product categories
Set up:
wpec categories aren’t included in “category” restriction, so added category name to “URI Restrictions”
Problem:
Certain pages with products in restricted categories don’t include the category name so don’t get restricted.
domain.com/products/restricted/myproduct = restricted
domain.com/products = not restricted and restricted category products show
Restricted items can be clicked from this page and added to checkout.

This obviously makes sense but I’m wondering if there’s a way around it?

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday Feb 4th, 2013 at 8:58 am #40710
Randy King
Username: RandyKing

Matt,

I apologize if I am not grasping your problem completely, but it sounded to me like the issue that I was having initially, so here’s what I did…

I use the s2Member ‘level’ as the “category” of product, and custom capabilities (ccaps) as specific product or product group purchases.

For example, I might use “level 1” for purchase of certain training videos, then custom capabilities for purchase of beginner or advanced topics under that category. The nice thing is that in generating your PayPal buttons you can specify which ccaps should be assigned to that purchase in addition to the level.

Next, some very simple shortcodes on the members page and on the category page will allow paid-for links to show up.

Finally, be sure to protect the deliverables pages themselves with both the membership level AND the custom capabilities so that simply specifying a valid URL will not end-run around your protection.

Posted: Tuesday Feb 5th, 2013 at 4:01 pm #40870

Thanks Randy.
I think this set up is a bit different in that users are allowed to see all items and are allowed to bid on items if they register. But once a bid is accepted, the item is moved to another category which needs to be only accessible to registered users. Simply put:
Cat A: anonymously accessible
Cat B: registered users only

Using the URI restriction doesn’t really work because restricted products can appear on pages without the category in the uri or on pages I can’t restrict.
A plug in like Restrict Content would be easier but this has to be done from the category level not the individual item level.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.