latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Restrict Access To URI For X Days…

Home Forums Community Forum Restrict Access To URI For X Days…

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Jason (Lead Developer) 3 years, 10 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday Feb 11th, 2013 at 10:31 am #41402
Robert Funge
Username: godrob

Hi Chaps,

My model is this. Bring subscribers in at Level1 where they receive a free 14 day premium membership. During there trial they can upgrade to Leve2 and beyond. If they don’t upgrade then they become a free member at Level0 where restrictions occur.

This all works great… except… because I offer a free trial I do get quite a lot of scammers registering and trying to Private Message our members with scam messages. So… what I would like to do is restrict access to Private Messaging (I’m using BuddyPress by the way) at Level1 but only for X amount of days.

The idea being that a site admin would then have enough time to review a potential scammers profile within x days so they wouldn’t be able to send any PM’s to our community.

Is this possible in an S2Hack by specifying a URI (to the PM screen) and restricting access to it for x amount of day?

Thanks for any help here…
Rob.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday Feb 12th, 2013 at 1:43 am #41533
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Thank you for your inquiry.

Is this possible in an S2Hack by specifying a URI (to the PM screen) and restricting access to it for x amount of day?

I would recommend using s2Member’s Content Dripping Constants here. I’m not familiar with BuddyPress’s Messaging System, but there may be a way to turn off messaging for a certain User through a Hook/Filter.

See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Content Dripping

Posted: Tuesday Feb 12th, 2013 at 3:44 am #41542
Robert Funge
Username: godrob

Thanks Bruce, I did look at the Drip Feeding feature, but to use it doesn’t the user already have to be a paid member?

I’m using PayPal Pro Forms and bringing subscribers in at level1 and offering them a 14 day free trial. Will using Drip Feeding still work in this situation?

Rob.

Posted: Thursday Feb 14th, 2013 at 1:51 am #41674
Staff Member

I would suggest the use of Custom Capabilities for this.
What you would do is add a snippet of PHP that requires a particular Custom Capability to PM others in your community. If this action (i.e. to PM someone) is performed at a specific URI, you might have something like this.

Please create this directory and file:
/wp-content/mu-plugins/s2-hacks.php
(NOTE: these are MUST USE plugins, see: http://codex.wordpress.org/Must_Use_Plugins)
(See also: http://www.s2member.com/kb/hacking-s2member/)

Video » s2Member (Custom Capabilities)

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.