latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Restricting latest posts: not default fnctn?

Home Forums Community Forum Restricting latest posts: not default fnctn?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Eduan 3 years, 6 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday Jun 19th, 2013 at 10:32 pm #52257

Hello- not sure if anyone has tried this? A very basic requirement but seems like S2 Member does not have this functionality by default.

We have a content site (WordPress of course) that is currently free- but we want to make it paid access, and have S2 member Pro (latest WP and latest S2 Member)

1) Latest post restriction: We want that latest posts (past few days, say upto 15 or 20 days old) should be available to registered members only.
For these latest posts, only post excerpts should be visible to public – but full content only to paid members.
Posts older than 15/20 days could be freely accessible to public (no restriction).
How can we restrict access to latest posts? We do not want to do it ‘post by post’- just automatically- latest post ONLY available to registered users.
Thanks in advance – if you have already done this and can share

• This topic was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by  Eduan. Reason: Moved to the customers forum

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Jun 21st, 2013 at 9:40 pm #52350
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Hello Shalabh,

Just to make sure I understand what you want. I understand you want only paid users to have access to the latest posts. What I don’t understand is exactly what you want to achieve with the content.

I imagine you want it to be completely protected except the preview correct?

If yes, then, if I remember right, you will need to play with content dripping in order to automatically protect posts that are not older than #. You’ll have to edit your theme (or whatever contains the function that lists your recent posts).

Then in order to just protect those in the post listing check under Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› Alternative View Protection. This is in order to allow a preview but protect the post itself.

Hope that helps. :)
– Eduan

Posted: Saturday Jun 22nd, 2013 at 12:00 pm #52385

Hello Eduan,

Whew that’s a relief- someone knows what to do here!

You got that correct. We want latest posts to be completely protected except the preview.

Frustrating to see that isn’t a default/simple/non-techie option in a software that is meant for content protection. This should be a basic for most news centric paid sites.

=======
You said:
If yes, then, if I remember right, you will need to play with content dripping in order to automatically protect posts that are not older than #. You’ll have to edit your theme (or whatever contains the function that lists your recent posts).
==========
Could you explain more? How can this be achieved exactly? How can I know what contains the function that lists current posts? How does this happen with WP? I would imagine it would be in one of the theme files or within the database itself.
Once I find that- what exactly do I need to modify then?

Posted: Wednesday Jun 26th, 2013 at 10:02 am #52609
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Could you explain more? How can this be achieved exactly? How can I know what contains the function that lists current posts? How does this happen with WP? I would imagine it would be in one of the theme files or within the database itself.
Once I find that- what exactly do I need to modify then?

The function that lists posts is not what you’l need to modify, let me re-phrase.

You’ll need to do a little MU plugin, I think, that will use s2Member content dripping.

The idea is that it does conditionals using content dripping to check if it was released within a certain date (in this case 15 or 20 days), if the post was released within those days (so the conditional equals true) then it will protect it with s2Member, toherwise it will deactivate any s2Member protection.

You can find the s2Member codex here: s2Member® » Codex (Source Code Docs)
You can find what you need to do with s2Member there. :)

– Eduan

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.