latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Restricting page access by user

Home Forums Community Forum Restricting page access by user

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 3 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday Sep 17th, 2012 at 5:22 pm #25619
Fred Riley
Username: fredriley

Hi

Further to a thread I started in the pre-sales forum a while back, I’ve a simple follow-up question:

Can I restrict an author/contributor to a page, or section of a site, in s2member?

For instance, I want my special correspondent on cute furry animals to only be able to edit pages in the subdirectory http://mysite.org/rodents/ so that she can edit existing pages (/rodents/hamsters) and create new pages in that subdirectory, but not have edit access to pages outside that section. I thought that this would be a feature of WordPress itself but it looks like it would need a plugin (see a thread I started, and which has had no replies, on the WordPress Codex).

URI restriction and Page Access restrictions apply to membership levels, but I want to control individual users’ access, not membership groups. I’m also aiming at editing colleagues, not site members. My site is nearly all pages, very few posts, so I can’t restrict by category.

If this is a WordPress rather than a s2member issue then I’ll pursue it on the Codex, but I thought I’d best check here before I go downloading and testing shedloads of user management plugins.

Cheers

Fred

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday Sep 18th, 2012 at 2:35 am #25675

Hi Fred.

Yeah, this would be a WP thing. s2Member only manages access to content on the front, it doesn’t deal with the admin permissions on the back.

Even if you customized the s2Member roles to have other capabilities to do what you want, that would not limit it to a certain category only. It seems you’d need to find another plugin that enables that, or you’d have to hack your installation to achieve it.

Posted: Tuesday Sep 18th, 2012 at 12:30 pm #25705
Fred Riley
Username: fredriley

Thanks, Cristián, I thought that would be the case, hence my postings to the WP Codex, but I thought I’d best check just in case s2member had some hidden capabilities that would save me hunting through wp-plugins. I’ve already spent a few hours trying out various plugins and it’s been frog-kissing all the way :(

Cheers

Fred

Posted: Wednesday Sep 19th, 2012 at 6:11 am #25755

That’s fine, I’d have asked too.

I hope you find a solution soon! :)

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.