latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

S2 isn't search engine friendly

Home Forums Community Forum S2 isn't search engine friendly

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice. Last updated by  Nigel 3 years, 10 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday Mar 6th, 2013 at 4:16 am #43840
Nigel
Username: enquirer32

see this: http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/protected-content-and-seo/

I had also posted questions on the Customer support forum but I’m being ignored…

case study: This is the link to the page I am discussing below (which is protected by s2): http://preview.tinyurl.com/8c9gvqv.

The article is protected to Level 3 – there is no other protection on this post (eg no category or tag restriction). It has one category = ‘Feature’ and several tags = ‘anthropomorphism, Bartoshuk, Bourdieu, choice, health, Horney, Issue 2, personality theory, Peynaud, psychology, Sperry, taste’. If you check Google (e.g. site:mywebsite.com) it shows up ONCE but only under the general category of ‘Feature’ – there is no individual entry for this post.

If you Google ‘Personality and wine’ it eventually appears on page 5 of the results with one tag indexation under the tag ‘personality theory’.

Now, I am using SEO (Yoast) and the article shows the following:
Your focus keyword was found in:
Article Heading: Yes (1)
Page title: Yes (1)
Page URL: No (this isn’t right as you can see)
Content: Yes (2)
Meta description: Yes (1)

So:
1. a basic flaw in S2 because every article needs to have its own indexation by the search engines and not just appear in a category or tag archive otherwise the result will be very low down in the results.
2. does this illustrate that every title also needs to written into the tag?
3. why isn’t it showing up in Google as a post in its own right? Because s2 protects the post link – what could be the work around?

• e.g. s2 conditionals/shortcode on every post?
  • Duplicate posts with a link to the main article?
  • deactivating s2?
  • 4. what is the point of using SEO plugin on a protected post? I would suggest SEO plugins are a waste of time if using S2. What are your views.
    5. How can this situation be improved?

Any ideas most welcome.

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.