latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

s2Member and Live EC2 Streaming

Home Forums Community Forum s2Member and Live EC2 Streaming

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  AnotherOpus 3 years, 10 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday Mar 4th, 2013 at 2:55 pm #43717

Hello,

First, it’s a little bit disconcerting that after I type a title for a post the title/subject box disappears. What if I missppelledd something? …or typed the wrong subject?

Okay, the real purpose of this post is to find out how we can secure a link to a live media stream?

We successfully use s2Member to secure audio and video media in podcasts using Amazon S3 and CloudFront.

Now we’re also going to add a live stream using an Amazon EC2 server and their recommended Adobe Media Server.

I didn’t see anything in the s2Member Download page that covered creating signed URLs, or any other method of securing a live media stream link so that it cannot be copied and pasted to other non-paying people.

Of course we can secure the page with s2Member–but that doesn’t protect the link.

Additionally, I’m mentioning this in case the JW PLayer will end up being involved in the live streams–I’ve tested all of the s2Member short codes in s2Member® File Download Options > JW Player® v6 & RTMP Protocol Examples, and none of them create a JW Player. We use JW Player successfully with a complex signed URL, that a professional developer created for us in a private plugin, but the short code examples never work in a page even for files which are unsecured and public. We’ve got the most current JW Player files in the JW Player folder on the site. And we’ve got our annual license info in the site header. But when I use the URL and bucket name in any configuration–no JW Player.

If the JW Player is not involved in the live streams then the above is irrelevant.

Thank you for your help guiding us on how to use s2Member to secure a link to a live media stream.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday Mar 4th, 2013 at 7:19 pm #43728

You can use HLS streaming. This would give you a .m3u8 manifest file which can only be played at with third party players on domains you give access to via crossdomain.xml.. s2member does not apply in protecting the url outside of protecting the access to the page or post the stream is on. So basically from what I understand, the way EC2 and Cloudformation work together allows you to either stream .f4m files or .m3u8 files. .f4m files are not supported on jwplayer 6 and so only way you can use jwplayer is to do a .m3u8 file which is an HLS streaming file for ios devices.. Also, jwplayer does not support this on Androids yet because bugs with that device.

Posted: Tuesday Mar 5th, 2013 at 5:08 am #43743

Thank you for the info Luis.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.