latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

S2member not closing off open registration

Home Forums Community Forum S2member not closing off open registration

This topic contains 19 replies, has 5 voices. Last updated by  Mary Grisolia 3 years, 10 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Sunday Dec 16th, 2012 at 3:22 pm #34792
Jane Donce
Username: Jane11

Hi,

I have set open registration to closed (No, do not allow open registration) in the s2member general options, however, if I copy and paste that registration link onto my web address it shows a registration page and also gives an unpaid registrant instant access to the seemingly members only login welcome page. Can someone fix the glitch in the system that fails to close the open registration? I did some investigating, and I assume this option is supposed to redirect the /wp-login.php?action=register page to a /wp-login.php?registration=disabled page, as seen when one goes to S2member’s own closed registration page? See http://www.s2member.com/wp-login.php?action=register

Also, I need remove the Register link from my site’s wp-login.php page. By way of example, I noticed that s2member’s login page (http://www.s2member.com/wp-login.php) doesn’t have this Register link before the Lost Your Password? link and I would like my login page to look the same since I’d only want registration to be possible after going through paypal. Is this something S2member is meant to address or am I supposed to delete the Register link from wp-login.php directly? If so, are there any official S2member recommendations on doing so? Otherwise, I’m deleting code in wp-login based on clips of information I gather from word press forums and I don’t know what effect if any such changes may have on paying members who then try to register.

Thank you.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Sunday Dec 16th, 2012 at 6:16 pm #34795
Jane Donce
Username: Jane11

Update :) This is all working perfectly for me now. I don’t know if my system was having a glitch or what but whatever the case, thank you!

Posted: Sunday Dec 16th, 2012 at 9:49 pm #34799
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Excellent Jane! Glad to hear it’s now working. :)

Posted: Thursday Dec 20th, 2012 at 11:05 am #35170

I just posted the exact same question yesterday and I see your thread here about the same issue. Glad you got it resolved.

What did you do to remove the REGISTER and the BACK TO… links? Mine are still showing up.

Is there a setting inside S2? (I am using the free version) or did you have to do something inside WordPress code?

Your help is much appreciated…thank you!

Posted: Saturday Dec 22nd, 2012 at 6:56 pm #35369

To avoid multiple threads about the same problem, I’m adding myself to the list.

In my case, I have set Open registration to NO in the settings menu for my Main Site (I have a multisite – blog network). This is supposed to disable open registration in all my child blogs since the membership options do not exist on individual blogs for the multisite configuration.

The problem is I don’t have the S2M plugin activated in all my blogs, and it seems that the registration option remains enabled in blogs where the S2M plugin is not activated. Do I really need to activate the plugin in all blogs – even if I’m not using it – in order for the main setting (NO registration) to work? That would be very inconvenient…

Posted: Saturday Dec 22nd, 2012 at 9:11 pm #35387
Eduan

Hello Mary,

You can also configure this setting from within WordPress, under WP Dashboard -> Settings -> General and search for “Anyone can register”.

Hope this helps. :)
– Eduan

Posted: Saturday Dec 22nd, 2012 at 9:58 pm #35391

Thanks Eduan, but actually that’s only possible for single blogs. In a multisite (network) configuration, the membership options do not appear on the general settings screen of individual blogs but only on the main blog dashboard (network administrator’s dashboard) under network settings.

With S2M installed, this setting is governed by it (Multisite config).

Posted: Sunday Dec 23rd, 2012 at 9:15 am #35429
Eduan

Ah yes. I’m afraid I’m not experienced with multisite networks yet. I suggest you contact WordPress’ support forums, they’re going to be able to provide the best help I think. :)

– Eduan

Posted: Sunday Dec 23rd, 2012 at 9:45 am #35433

Well, actually the problem isn’t WordPress but S2M. In the network administrator WP dashboard, the allow open registration setting is disabled and controlled (grayed out) by S2M. If I didn’t have S2M, I would just have to check that option to disable open registration in all of the network’s blog and then everything would be fine. But as I do have S2M, it controls this option but doesn’t seem to be working on blogs that don’t have the plugin enabled.

I’m pretty sure it’s a problem with S2M and not WP…

Posted: Sunday Dec 23rd, 2012 at 11:25 am #35436
Eduan

Ah I see. I’ll contact Jason about this. :)

… Done. He’ll contact you back as soon as he can. :)

– Eduan

Posted: Saturday Dec 29th, 2012 at 5:03 pm #35754
Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up on this thread.

~ Investigating now.
Posted: Saturday Dec 29th, 2012 at 5:46 pm #35760
Staff Member
Investigation completed. I was unable to reproduce the bug being reported here. So, let me instead try to explain further how s2Member functions on a Multisite Network, and then please let me know if any of you continue to have trouble.

By default, on a Multisite Network (without s2Member)…

User registration, if allowed, occurs through /wp-signup.php, regardless of which blog is being accessed, all registrations would go through /wp-signup.php. In addition, the Network Settings menu where you’re asked “Who Can Register” would affect all sites (i.e. all Child Blogs) in the Network.

Without s2Member installed, Network-wide registration settings are handled via:
Network Admin -> Network Settings -> Who Can Register.

With s2Member installed on a Multisite Network…

s2Member’s Multisite Patches are applied, and we remove this limitation. It now becomes possible to collect registrations for each blog separately. Making it possible to accept registrations through either /wp-signup.php on the Main Site of your Network, or through /wp-login.php?action=register on each Child Blog, or even on the Main Site if you prefer; /wp-login.php?action=register can be used on the Main Site too.

In addition, if s2Member Pro Forms are used, registration can occur through a Pro Form introduced on-site. So, if you prefer to take more control over the registration process, it’s possible to do this with s2Member Pro Forms.

With s2Member installed, Network-wide registration settings are a moot point. This section in your Dashboard: Network Admin -> Network Settings -> Who Can Register is disabled, and instead of setting Open Registration here, you can handle this setting for the Main Site of your Network under: s2Member -> Multisite (Config) -> Multisite Registration -> Main Site / Open Registration.

For each individual blog, Open Registration is disabled by default, but can be enabled if s2Member is activated on a Child Blog, by going to s2Member -> General Options -> Open Registration on that Child Blog where s2Member is active (if it is active on that Child Blog). If s2Member is NOT active on that Child Blog, Open Registration is off by default, as it should be.

Understanding s2Member’s Multisite (Config) Panel…

The option you choose there for “Main Site / Open Registration”, is ONLY applied to your Main Site. It does NOT affect Child Blogs that exist now, or that you might add later, in any way at all. Open Registration is NOT enabled for any of your Child Blogs by default. By default, Open Registration is disabled for each Child Blog, as it should be.

Helpful Hints, Tips & Tricks on a Multisite Network…

If you are logged in as an Administrator (or Super Admin), registration will appear open across the Network, because it’s YOU who are browsing and testing the sites. Please make sure you log out of the site before testing any user/member/registration functionality in your Network.

If s2Member is NOT active on a Child Blog, and for whatever reason Open Registration is enabled on a particular Child Blog, a Network Administrator can change this from the Network Admin panel. Open Registration is ALWAYS off by default, but if settings for a particular Child Blog have been corrupted or manipulated by plugins you’ve experimented with, it might be necessary to change this setting manually. See: Network Admin -> Sites -> Edit -> Settings, as depicted in the screenshot below. 1 is on, 0 is off, the default value.

If s2Member has been activated on a Child Blog, or was activated Network-wide, so it’s active on every Child Blog of the Network; Open Registration can be controlled for each Child Blog by logging into that Child Blog, and going to s2Member -> General Options -> Open Registration.

Posted: Sunday Dec 30th, 2012 at 9:17 pm #35833

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your detailed answer. In my blog everything is set up as you described. Users Can register is set to 0 for all child blogs, and registration is disabled in blogs with S2Member enabled. But for those blogs where S2Member is not active, I can access the wp-login.php?action=register page and I can register – even when Users Can register is 0 (and I’m logged out, accessing the registration page from a browser with cleared cache and cookies).

I have the latest WP version installed (3.5 in Spanish) and the latest S2Member version (121213).

Should I contact WordPress?

Posted: Saturday Jan 5th, 2013 at 1:14 am #36219
Staff Member

Thanks for the follow-up.

I suppose you could try contacting WordPress, but the thing is, I haven’t been able to reproduce this. If you can, and on you’re on a clean installation, then I’d report it to WordPress. Otherwise, I would suggest that we continue here.

On this installation, what themes/plugins are active during these tests? Anything else at play here? Anything at all?

Posted: Saturday Jan 5th, 2013 at 10:23 pm #36367

Thank you for your reply Jason (and happy New year BTW).

I only asked about telling WP in case you thought this was a WP issue rather than an S2M related problem. I too prefer we stay here.

I have several themes and plugins installed in my network, but not all are active nor all are the same on every blog presenting the problem, so it would be kind of difficult to diagnose based on that.

I’ve just tested all of my blogs and is clear: the registration page is not blocked on blogs where S2M is not active, even when the Users can register setting is appears as 0 on the blog’s configuration (visible from the netowrk’s admin settings view).

I can give you access to my network if you want to take a look. The problem seems to be that S2M is governing the redirect from /wp-login.php?action=register to /wp-login.php?registration=disabled and this redirection is not taking place if S2M is not active.

I’m sorry I cannot give you any more insights about this, I just don’t know where elese to look and wouldn’t want to go the route of disabling themes/plugins one by one (would rather activate S2M on all my blogs even if I don’t need it).

Posted: Tuesday Jan 8th, 2013 at 9:17 pm #36666
Staff Member

Thanks for the follow-up.

You mentioned…

I can give you access to my network if you want to take a look. The problem seems to be that S2M is governing the redirect from /wp-login.php?action=register to /wp-login.php?registration=disabled and this redirection is not taking place if S2M is not active.

If that redirection is failing (assuming that your WP installation is not corrupted), the redirection typically fails only if the value of get_option('users_can_register') is reading `1`. If you’ve confirmed this value is set in the database, to a value of `0`, but it’s still not working as expected, I’d start looking at themes/plugins that are manipulating this value. If s2Member is not active, it’s got to be another theme/plugin doing this.

For instance, the database might read `0`, but at runtime the value can be modified to `1` again by a filter in WP. If you run this PHP code, what do you get? <?php echo get_option('users_can_register'); ?>

My assumption at this point, is that s2Member being active, applies a filter to fix this problem for you. However, the underlying problem, is still a problem; and that’s what really needs to be fixed. If s2Member is not active on blogs where this problems occurs, it’s likely caused by another theme/plugin that you’re running on these blogs, or across the entire network perhaps.

If problems persist, please submit a Dashboard login and FTP access privately for me.
See: s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Posted: Saturday Feb 9th, 2013 at 1:52 pm #41261

Hi Jason,

I’m sorry to have taken so long replying to this.

I did as you said and yes, I get a 1. So somethings is changing this value when the page is loaded.
I’ll give you access as you suggested so you can take a look at this if you want to.

Thank you very much for your help.

Posted: Monday Feb 11th, 2013 at 8:16 pm #41478
Staff Member

Details received. Thank you!

~ Investigating now.

Posted: Monday Feb 11th, 2013 at 8:25 pm #41480
Staff Member

Thanks for your patience.

I’ve just completed a review of your installation. However, I was unable to reproduce the issue that you described. Please see the attached screenshot, which does indicate that Open Registration is disabled on this Child Blog of your Network.

Possible solution for you…
If you have previously run test transactions, it’s possible that you have cookies authorizing you to register on this site. If that’s the case, your test could be returning false positive results. Please try clearing your cookies before testing again.

Please let us know if problems persist :-)

Posted: Monday Mar 11th, 2013 at 3:08 pm #44275

Hi Jason,

I didn’t receive the email update for your reply so I didn’t see it before. Yes, it worked at that moment, and today I experienced the same issue (that’s why I came back here).
Turns out it was a cookie problem. s2Member works perfectly fine.

Thanks a lot for your help, it’s much appreciated!

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.