latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

S2Member performance problem after upgrade

Home Forums Community Forum S2Member performance problem after upgrade

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices. Last updated by  Jason (Lead Developer) 4 years, 7 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday May 24th, 2012 at 12:28 am #14392
Andre Rabe
Username: andre7

I recently upgraded to v120517 and noticed a big degradation in performance. I ran performance tests via GTmertix and found that 90% of the time it takes to load the page was used by s2member, the specific query being: http://ginomai.org/wp-content/plugins/s2member/s2member-o.php?ws_plugin__s2member_js_w_globals=1&qcABC=1&ver=120517-1059650489

Are you aware of this issue and are there any workarounds to this problem.

You can see the report here: http://gtmetrix.com/reports/ginomai.org/fssB67hr
(look under timeline)

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Thursday May 24th, 2012 at 8:53 am #14473
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Hello Andre,

Thanks for the report, I’m gonna forward this to the lead developer, and I’ll tell you when I have an answer. :)

Posted: Thursday May 24th, 2012 at 12:24 pm #14492
Andre Rabe

If it will help to become a paid user to get this sorted out sooner, I am more than willing to do that.

Posted: Thursday May 24th, 2012 at 5:14 pm #14504
Andre Rabe

As an interim solution I have used Quick Cache Options and set the Get Request setting to false – an option which it says should always be set to true! This however has improved the speed for now … eagerly awaiting a more permanent solution.

Thanks
Andre

Posted: Thursday May 24th, 2012 at 6:24 pm #14513

Hi Andre.

Thanks for reporting this.

I’m glad you improved it with QuickCache. I’ll notify Jason about that setting helping in your case.

Tell me, in your tests, did you try deactivating other plugins one by one and benchmarking the site again after each? It is possible that there is a conflict with one of them and it’d be good to find which. During these tests, it’d be better to remove the caching and doing it at a time that you have less traffic to your site.

Let me know how it goes! I hope it helps.

Posted: Saturday May 26th, 2012 at 2:15 am #14669
Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up on this request for support.

As an interim solution I have used Quick Cache Options and set the Get Request setting to false – an option which it says should always be set to true! This however has improved the speed for now … eagerly awaiting a more permanent solution.

Yes, I would set this to TRUE, do NOT cache $_GET requests.
That will cause you all sorts of problems, and it can lead to major issues on a membership site that is dynamic by it’s very nature. Caching $_GET requests, means that any variables in the URL (which might produce dynamic output, based on who is viewing the site), are not going to work as expected, because they’re being cached.

Regarding this file. It seems to be loading pretty fast at present. I noticed the average time is listed at 3.15 seconds, but this file is loading much faster than that. Note, having Quick Cache $_GET requests cached, would not affect performance of this file anyway, because it’s NOT a cacheable file (i.e. it’s NOT an XML/HTML file).

http://ginomai.org/wp-content/plugins/s2member/s2member-o.php?ws_plugin__s2member_js_w_globals=1&qcABC=1&ver=120517-1059650489

If problems persist, please post a list of any MU plugins that your site currently operates with. The /s2member-o.php file, is designed to load s2Member’s dynamic JavaScript is a highly efficient manner, by only loading the s2Member plugin (i.e. s2member-o.php = s2Member Only). We’ve run extensive tests against this file for performance, so if it continues to cause you problems, we’d love to hear more about them.

Posted: Saturday May 26th, 2012 at 2:34 am #14670
Staff Member

I felt I should clarify this statement…

Note, having Quick Cache $_GET requests cached, would not affect performance of this file anyway, because it’s NOT a cacheable file (i.e. it’s NOT an XML/HTML file).

It’s not a cacheable file (in the eyes of Quick Cache). The Quick Cache plugin only deals with WordPress page caching, from XML/HTML output. It will not cache any request for a JavaScript file, regardless of configuration.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.