latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Set EOT using buttons created on PayPal

Home Forums Community Forum Set EOT using buttons created on PayPal

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Christian Finn 4 years, 1 month ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday Dec 5th, 2012 at 6:58 pm #33639

I’ve recently started using S2Member, and am using buttons created on PayPal, as the site where I am selling memberships is different to the site on which S2Member is installed.

Because I want the membership to last for 1 year, I added the following to the “advanced variables” box in the PayPal button generator:

p3=1
t3=Y

However, after going through the payment and registration process (which worked fine), when I looked at the member profile, the date that their membership expires did not show up in the EOT box on the site? Does it always remain blank unless edited manually?

Thanks, Christian

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Wednesday Dec 5th, 2012 at 7:35 pm #33642
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Hi Christian,

s2Member does not set an EOT date until while the subscription to your site is still active, because the user could have access for an undetermined amount of time. If you were to set up a One-Time payment for a specific amount of time, users *would* have an EOT date. Users are also given an EOT date when they cancel recurring billing.

Posted: Thursday Dec 6th, 2012 at 3:12 am #33673

When I used the PayPal button generator on the PayPal website, I did select the “buy now” button type as opposed to the subscription option. So I thought that by adding the variables I mentioned in the advanced variables field that I *was* I setting up a one-time payment for a specific amount of time. The fact that no EOT appeared suggests that I didn’t. Are the advanced variables I was entering incorrect?

Posted: Thursday Dec 6th, 2012 at 7:59 am #33688

Christian, Buy Now transactions would have the EOT time by s2Member, not having it set would indicate something went wrong.

You are using a button created over at PayPal, did you integrate it with s2Member? Knowledge Base » Using PayPal created buttons

What do the logs say about the transaction? [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› Account Details -› Logging[/hilite]

Posted: Thursday Dec 6th, 2012 at 8:17 am #33697

You are using a button created over at PayPal, did you integrate it with s2Member?

Yes, I’m using all the integration settings from that article. The registration process worked fine, it assigned the new user to the right level, and returned them to the site after making payment so they could register. But it just didn’t set an EOT.

As for the logging, I didn’t have it enabled. I’ve enabled it now and will try again. Just to confirm, setting p3=1
and t3=Y in the advanced variables box in the PayPal button generator should pass the instructions to S2Member that the EOT will be 1 year from the date of registration?

Posted: Thursday Dec 6th, 2012 at 1:59 pm #33724
Bruce
Staff Member

Hi Christian,

Yes, I’m using all the integration settings from that article. The registration process worked fine, it assigned the new user to the right level, and returned them to the site after making payment so they could register. But it just didn’t set an EOT.

As for the logging, I didn’t have it enabled. I’ve enabled it now and will try again. Just to confirm, setting p3=1
and t3=Y in the advanced variables box in the PayPal button generator should pass the instructions to S2Member that the EOT will be 1 year from the date of registration?

To change the payment from recurring to One-Time, you’ll want to make sure that you’ve set “src” to 0.

With this, the EOT date should be 1 year and 1 day from when the user registered.

Posted: Thursday Dec 6th, 2012 at 5:43 pm #33799

To change the payment from recurring to One-Time, you’ll want to make sure that you’ve set “src” to 0.

By that, do you mean I need to add src=0 to the advanced variables box in the PayPal button generator?

Posted: Thursday Dec 6th, 2012 at 5:50 pm #33802
Bruce
Staff Member

By that, do you mean I need to add src=0 to the advanced variables box in the PayPal button generator?

Yes. That’s correct.

Posted: Thursday Dec 6th, 2012 at 6:08 pm #33806

I tried that, and it still doesn’t create an EOT.

This is exactly what I have in my advanced variables box:

rm=2
p3=1
t3=Y
src=0
custom=muscleevo.co.uk
notify_url=http://muscleevo.co.uk/?s2member_paypal_return=1

—–

Is anything missing?

Posted: Thursday Dec 6th, 2012 at 6:15 pm #33807
Bruce
Staff Member

Hi Christian,

Looking at s2Member’s PayPal buttons, these are the fields that are created for a button that does this:

<input type="hidden" name="src" value="0" />
<input type="hidden" name="srt" value="" />
<input type="hidden" name="sra" value="1" />
<!--<input type="hidden" name="a1" value="0" />-->
<!--<input type="hidden" name="p1" value="0" />-->
<!--<input type="hidden" name="t1" value="D" />-->
<input type="hidden" name="a3" value="2" />
<input type="hidden" name="p3" value="1" />
<input type="hidden" name="t3" value="Y" />

I would recommend setting up all of these forms before testing again.

Posted: Thursday Dec 6th, 2012 at 6:24 pm #33808

So just to clarify, my advanced variables box should look like this:

rm=2
src=0
srt=??????
sra=1
a3=2
p3=1
t3=Y
custom=muscleevo.co.uk
notify_url=http://muscleevo.co.uk/?s2member_paypal_return=1

What do I use for the srt value, as it doesn’t have one in the example you provided – just leave it blank?

Posted: Friday Dec 7th, 2012 at 7:31 am #33864

[hilite mono]srt[/hilite] is for subscriptions that should be charged only a certain number of terms, instead of indefinitely until cancelled. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Buttons -› Shortcode Attributes -> srt[/hilite]

[hilite mono]src=0[/hilite] would still be a subscription, even if only one payment, so the EOT time won’t be set right away, it’ll be set when PayPal notifies s2Member that the subscription ended. It results in an EOT time similar/same to the Buy Now transaction in the end, but with the latter you have the EOT time set right away and no subscription created over at PayPal: [hilite code][/hilite]

For single payments it’s best to use Buy Now. Single payment subscriptions are only there in case you need an initial/trial term.

Posted: Saturday Dec 8th, 2012 at 5:53 am #33977

For single payments it’s best to use Buy Now. Single payment subscriptions are only there in case you need an initial/trial term.

I had been using the “buy now” button. It still didn’t work.

srt is for subscriptions that should be charged only a certain number of terms, instead of indefinitely until cancelled. Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Buttons -› Shortcode Attributes -> srt

On that basis, can I leave srt out of the advanced variables box?

with the latter you have the EOT time set right away and no subscription created over at PayPal:

I will change the src value to BN and try again.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.