latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Show excerpt, but protect content

Home Forums Community Forum Show excerpt, but protect content

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Bruce 4 years, 1 month ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Saturday Dec 1st, 2012 at 7:36 pm #33153

How would I go about protecting a specific category/categories, but showing the post’s excerpt in the hook? I would like to tease visitors with the protected content and when they click on the page they will be redirected to a membership sign-up (already configured s2Member > General Options > Membership Options).

If possible, I would like to do this from the s2Member plugin rather than customizing each post by hand (there are at least 100+).

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Saturday Dec 1st, 2012 at 8:14 pm #33162
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Hi Saskia,

If your theme is already providing snippets, s2Member should not affect the snippets that are shown unless you have Alternative View Protection enabled within Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› Alternative View Protection.

With Alternative View Protection OFF, s2Member will only block access to the direct path of the pages/posts/categories blocked, and not queries on other pages.

Posted: Sunday Dec 2nd, 2012 at 10:22 pm #33259

For some reason when I specify a Category, then save, it doesn’t save. Meaning, the field is blank once the page refreshes (it does not save my Category). Any ideas on how to fix this?

However, I did a work-around by using Tags. All I did was add the Tag (same name as the Category) using the Bulk action. I’d prefer to get the Category issue figured out for the future though.

Thanks!

Posted: Monday Dec 3rd, 2012 at 12:32 am #33261
Bruce
Staff Member

Hi Saskia,

I just tested the feature and it seems to be working correct for me. However, if I specified a category name instead of ID, this did happen. The forms under Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› Category Access Restrictions are meant to handle category IDs (which are numeric) only. If you don’t know the ID of the categories you’d like to specify, you can download WP Show IDs, which is created by WebSharks, Inc. (the creators of s2Member).

Posted: Monday Dec 3rd, 2012 at 5:13 am #33279

I use the more tag to protect the main part of my articles. The introduction is a teaser for readers.

Posted: Monday Dec 3rd, 2012 at 1:48 pm #33329
Bruce
Staff Member

I use the more tag to protect the main part of my articles. The introduction is a teaser for readers.

This is also a great way to do snippets, and s2Member will not disable this unless you have it set up to under Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› Alternative View Protection.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.