latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Small Aweber Issue

Home Forums Community Forum Small Aweber Issue

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 22 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Manni01 3 years, 3 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Saturday Sep 7th, 2013 at 10:47 pm #59243
Ron Killian
Username: ronnie

I’ve searched the forums for some time, but have not found the solution to my problem.

I have a paid membership level with s2member (free version).

I ran a test, live site, .01 membership, and everything worked perfectly, except with aweber.

It added a new subscriber, but the email address it added was my sites admin email address and NOT the email address I used to sign up with, which is the same as the pay pal email address.

The email address I used for the sign-up, was not the one that was added.

I’ve done the custom parser with aweber, tested it in aweber and it checked. Level also matches up.

Just odd, that the email lead had the address of my admin.

Any ideas? This is very frustrating, last thing to get working :(

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Sunday Sep 8th, 2013 at 8:19 am #59250
Manni01
Username: Manni01

Did you try to enable the logs and look in the aweber log to see if there is any error reported after a new attempt?

If you use the same email address for testing, make sure it is deleted in both the wp/s2member users and in the aweber list of subscribers before you do another attempt (or you can set s2member to delete the subscriber from the list automatically when you delete the user from the wp database).

Also try to test a different address (if possible from a non-free domain as these can cause issues occasionally) to make sure it’s not specific to the address used.

Don’t forget to delete/disable the logs after testing as you don’t want sensitive info to be available to everyone.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  Manni01.
Posted: Monday Sep 9th, 2013 at 5:19 am #59289
Ron Killian

Thanks for the reply Manni.

Yes I enabled logging for aweber. I just ran a test purchase, live .01 button, no sandbox.

The log shows no errors. Would it say there was an error?

Also the test run did not add the email address to aweber. Then again, the first test added my admin email address and it’s still not confirmed (email doesn’t seem to be working correctly), so maybe it’s still pushing the admin email address to aweber?

How can I tell what email address it’s sending to aweber from the log?

In the log, under array, number 4, it shows the email address I signed up with, that is correct.

Although, at the end of the log, by ‘wp_mail_headers’ => ‘From: it shows my admin email address.

Sorry, just lost, as to if it’s working right or not.

Last thing to get working, before I can promote, so need to get this going, so it’s getting frustrating :(

Any thoughts? Anyone?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  Ron Killian.
Posted: Monday Sep 9th, 2013 at 5:27 am #59291
Ron Killian

Okay, something I just noticed.

After this last test run, I did receive the email saying my membership has been approved, but it came to my admin email address.

So “seems” it is sending (grabbing) the wrong email address.

But I did receive the login information email to the right address.

I am confused.

Posted: Monday Sep 9th, 2013 at 5:43 am #59292
Manni01

Showing your admin email address in the “from” field is correct, as aweber is sending the email to your member on your behalf.

What’s not correct is to send the confirmation email to the admin instead of the user.

If you get the user/password at the correct address that means the address is correctly input. However it doesn’t mean aweber will accept it. Did you try to use an email address from a non free domain, that you have never used for testing, just to rule out some weird block?

If you still have issues with such an address, I would use a plugin like magic box pro to add a user to your list with their sidebar widget (that will not go through the s2member to aweber integration), or use the method to add a member by email (I’ve never used it, but I think you just have to email an aweber address with some info and they add the user to the list). That way, you’ll be able to see if the problem lies with the s2member to aweber integration, or with the configuration of your list at aweber.

If using a non s2member way (like Magic Box Pro) to add a user to the same aweber list works fine, then you’ll know it’s s2member’s fault. The Magic Box Pro plugin is free and it takes seconds to configure a quick opt-in box that you can add to their sidebar widget. You’ll find out really quick whether that works, which would point to an issue with your settings in s2member in relation to the aweber integration.

Otherwise it’s probably a bad set up of your list within aweber.

I’ve tested it and s2member to aweber integration works absolutely fine in my setup.

Posted: Tuesday Sep 10th, 2013 at 6:21 pm #59417
Ron Killian

Okay , I just ran another test.

This time I changed the admin email address in s2member settings. Under Email Configuration-> Email From Address. For the test I also used another email address to register, one from one of my sites, not a freebie.

And sure enough, it added the new admin email address to aweber. Plus I received the aweber confirmation email to the admin address.

So, aweber is getting its, but it’s getting the admin email address. It’s getting or grabbing the wrong address. Plus it’s sending out the confirmation email. just getting sent to the wrong email address.

I double checked and triple checked the parser, and it matches the one posted on here s2member. I also tested the parser and that works without error as well.

I also did the bbc trick and that shows the correct email address, the one I registered with on the test.

Also guessing that it’s not a matter of my host blocking the emails, or stopping them. So don’t see how it’s the host, right?

Plus again, the logs show everything went okay.

I don’t get this, don’t understand why it’s doing this. Everything thing works except for aweber getting the wrong address.

Does any one have any thoughts? Just don’t know what is wrong.

Posted: Tuesday Sep 10th, 2013 at 6:29 pm #59418
Ron Killian

In looking over the log, the only place the admin email address shows is in the headers.

So the parser is grabbing from the headers?

This is very odd. Or I am missing something.

Just for the record, I am not using any SMTP plug-in or anything, that might cause the problem. Just using stock wordpress as it is, nothing changed.

Finding more people with this problem, mostly here in the forums, but no real solution.

I am getting all the emails to the right address, except for the one added to the aweber list. That is the only issue.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by  Ron Killian.
Posted: Tuesday Sep 10th, 2013 at 6:40 pm #59421
Manni01

Until you try to add a subscriber to the aweber list without using s2member (ie using one of the methods mentioned above) it’s difficult to be sure whether the problem lies with your aweber list configuration or your s2member configuration.

If the bbc trick and the logs show everything correct, it might be your aweber config for your list.

The only way to find out for sure is to do what I suggested above and report here. If it’s aweber, you can ask them to help you fix it. If you’ve established it’s s2member, it might be easier to get some help here.

The s2member to aweber (or mailchimp) integration is very straightforward and it just works, I’m testing both aweber and mailchimp at the moment and both add the user to the list on registration, and delete it when it’s deleted by s2member. I do dozens of tests every day, and they never missed a beat. Something is wrong your end…

Posted: Tuesday Sep 10th, 2013 at 6:53 pm #59423
Manni01

This is my working parser. Does yours look EXACTLY like that?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7097546/s2member_Aweber_parser.JPG

Check carefully all the “match” and “store” fields at the right.

Posted: Tuesday Sep 10th, 2013 at 6:56 pm #59424
Ron Killian

I installed the magic action box (cool plug-in by the way, thanks for posting it), and everything worked perfect.

It added the correct email address to the right list on aweber and I received the conformation to the right place.

That worked without issue.

Posted: Tuesday Sep 10th, 2013 at 6:58 pm #59425
Manni01

Okay so now we’ve ruled out the aweber side, apart from the parser.

If your parser is exactly the same as the one I linked above, then it’s definitely your s2member settings, or a conflict with a plugin/theme/host/etc

Posted: Tuesday Sep 10th, 2013 at 7:10 pm #59426
Manni01

Just another idea, you could try to select the paypal parser in the parsers list in aweber. It’s not as reliable or flexible, but it might work and that might help you to pinpoint the issue to the custom parser itself, if it’s the culprit.

Here are the instructions:

If you like, choose the PayPal® Parser (even if you’re not using PayPal® as your Payment Gateway). You can safely ignore the additional instructions they provide. s2Member just needs the PayPal® box checked, and that’s all.

Posted: Tuesday Sep 10th, 2013 at 7:12 pm #59427
Ron Killian

Mine matches your except for rule’s 3 and 4, the “store In” settings are different.

But I would think, Rule 1 is the one.

Actually, that is all i want is their email address, only thing that matters to me.

In thinking, I was wondering if it was something I had set up on my list in aweber, but I don’t see how it is. It is getting the information, just the wrong information.

As i think it’s either s2member sending the information wrong, or aweber grabbing it wrong. No?

Posted: Tuesday Sep 10th, 2013 at 7:24 pm #59428
Manni01

Please try the Paypal parser to rule out the custom parser.
If it works with the paypal parser, please set your custom parser exactly like mine. No assumptions.
If it still doesn’t work, make a complete backup of your site, set it into maintenance mode if it’s live, disable all your plugins except s2member and select a default wordpress theme.
If it works re-enable your theme, then all the plugins one by one, until you identify the cause.
If it still doesn’t work, you’ll have to wait for a dev to step in as I have no idea what is wrong in your settings.
Please do all these steps and report here…

Posted: Tuesday Sep 10th, 2013 at 7:27 pm #59429
Ron Killian

Well, I went to set up pay pal in aweber, but the process requires I add the aweber notification URL, which I can’t do because I also have a url in there for one of my other sites. I don’t want customers from one site getting directed to another.

All scripts I’ve used, have always done that in the script itself.

I have a number of other things going through my pay pal account besides the membership site I am working on right now.

Posted: Tuesday Sep 10th, 2013 at 7:39 pm #59430
Manni01

I can’t even select Paypal in aweber, it’s the one option that’s disabled in the list, so no idea what the problem is there.
You can either try to go down the list I gave above (especially copying exactly my parser and disabling all plugins/select default theme), or wait for someone else with more ideas. I can’t think of anything else.

By the way the special email address you can use to add an aweber subscriber is your-list-name@aweber.com, as described here: https://help.aweber.com/entries/21707567-how-can-someone-subscribe-to-my-list-by-email.

So you could try to send the parse test body (the one you used in aweber to test the parser) to that email address and see if the subscriber is added correctly.

Good luck!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by  Manni01.
Posted: Tuesday Sep 10th, 2013 at 7:53 pm #59432
Ron Killian

Okay…

I deactivated all plug-ins, switched to a default theme, used your parser code, did a test purchase/sign up and still the same problem.

But, I just sent an email, as you suggested, to list-name@aweber.com, with the test parser code, and that added the RIGHT email address. So that way worked right.

So what does that mean?

Posted: Tuesday Sep 10th, 2013 at 8:00 pm #59434
Manni01

It means that the Aweber custom parser is set correctly, so everything on Aweber for that list is configured correctly. You can leave that out now, and hope that someone else will find a way to explain why your s2member install doesn’t work like mine (and I assume many others).

I’m stumped, sorry!

Posted: Tuesday Sep 10th, 2013 at 8:09 pm #59435
Manni01

One last idea:)

I assume you’ve read this: http://www.s2member.com/kb/debugging-the-aweber-integration/

If everything is correct in the email you receive from the bcc trick, what happens if you email it manually to the your-list@aweber.com?

You might want to try to call your host and request the change mentioned and the end of the page linked above.

Apart from that, I really have no idea.

Posted: Tuesday Sep 10th, 2013 at 8:10 pm #59436
Ron Killian

Nothing to be sorry about. Actually I GREATLY appreciate your trying to help. I am sorry I’ve taken so much of your time.

Stinks that this is the only thing left to get working. My site is ready to go, ready to be promoted. But without getting that email address, I’m losing a profitable part of the model.

I know I can try and get them to submit their email address after they sign-up, but we know that many probably won’t do it.

Only other thing is to use a wordpress autoresponder plug-in with SMTP and something like sendgrid, but I am not well versed enough in that aspect, to be able to cover myself, not get banned or end up on spammer lists.

Though about getting 2smember pro, but if the email part is not going to work, won’t be worth it. Except for maybe support to fix it.

You use the parser with aweber and it works for you huh?

Don’t make sense.

Posted: Tuesday Sep 10th, 2013 at 8:30 pm #59437
Manni01

Actually, I have one very last idea…

Can you try sending the email you get from the bcc trick to the your-list@aweber.com with gmail, to bypass your host?
if it works (correct email address), it means it’s a probably a problem with your host, or with the admin email address you use (you might want to change it to a gmail address just to see if it works)
if it doesn’t work (admin email address), then it’s probably something in the s2member aweber integration that doesn’t work on your install, for an unknown reason.

Posted: Wednesday Sep 11th, 2013 at 4:59 pm #59465
Ron Killian

Actually that’s how I sent the other one, sent it through my gmail account, sent it to list-name@aweber.com and that worked fine, added the correct email address to the list.

I also have changed the admin email address in my s2member install, and still the same problem. It still adds the admin email address, even when that admin email address is different, just adds the different admin email address.

Posted: Wednesday Sep 11th, 2013 at 6:46 pm #59466
Manni01

If it works when you send the bbc copy of the email sent to the parser with gmail, it means that the issue is likely with your host, especially if it doesn’t work when all the plugins are disabled.

Because it means that s2member is sending the right info, and that this very same info is correctly parsed by aweber when you are not sending it though your host.

Maybe your host adds some meta info to the email that leads the aweber parser to confuse the header and the body?

Honestly I don’t know, but you might want to get in touch with both your host and aweber to see if they are aware of any issue between the two services?

Two last things to try:

1) I realize that I’m using the mailfrom plugin to change the “from” address in wordpress. You might want to try to install it to see if it helps.
2) if there is a plugin that allows you to specify the smtp server you want to use when sending emails from WP, you might also want to try that, especially if one allows you to chose gmail (as you know that it works).

Good luck!

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.