latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Specific post/page protection question

Home Forums Community Forum Specific post/page protection question

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Frank Hagan 4 years ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday Dec 19th, 2012 at 1:25 pm #35080

I have been setting up a site to sell online lessons -a lesson per page. I have watched all the videos on how to do this and thought s2member would work great. But… If I want someone to buy access to a page forever (5 years will do) they don’t get a password, just a link to the page? They are identified how? By IP address? They can’t access it anywhere else other than that IP address?

I am confused and would very much appreciate some guidance. If I am missing something obvious, sorry but I don’t see how my customer securely accesses their lesson.

Thanks
Stuart

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Wednesday Dec 19th, 2012 at 2:42 pm #35084
Frank Hagan
Username: fshagan

See “Restriction Options” > “Unique IP Access Restrictions” … you can set the number of IP addresses that particular link will work with (but it is a global setting). If you set it at three, the link will be available to the first three IP addresses that access it.

As I understand it, this means you won’t be able to create a link for all your customers to share; you will have to create a separate link for each customer. Or set the IP to “unlimited”.

Posted: Wednesday Dec 19th, 2012 at 4:07 pm #35096

THanks

So am I right in concluding that the entire process of restricting specific pages with Paypal payments as described in the s2member videos actually won’t do that? The video suggests one can set the time period to 5 years (or longer), but if the security is limited to the payer’s IP addresses and then anyone else who hits the page up to the designated setting…

For one thing, this means that either the person can only use the page at the one IP address or they could share the page link with anyone… And you’d have to inform the buyer that it will only work at the IP address you were at when you bought it…

There is no way to restrict access with the s2member username/password except member levels? Which wouldn’t work for selling pages….

Thanks. fF anyone knows a way to do this I would be most grateful….

Posted: Wednesday Dec 19th, 2012 at 4:32 pm #35099
Frank Hagan
Username: fshagan

No, I think when the customer pays using a PayPal button, s2Member generates a unique link to the page. That unique link is then limited by IP address for as many IP addresses as you have configured in “Unique IP Address Restrictions”, unless you have it set to unlimited. A reasonable number of IP addresses might be 3 to 5 if you are seeking to restrict link sharing. Set it to unlimited if you want that single link to be accessible from any IP address for the time period.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.