latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Steps to Migrate?

Home Forums Community Forum Steps to Migrate?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 4 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday Sep 6th, 2012 at 4:21 pm #24379

I’ve been struggling with Fatcow on this issue for months: http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/authorize-net-is-not-setting-eot-take-2/

As such, we are giving up on Fatcow and looking for a new hosting provider. This actually lines up fairly well with some website redesign we have been planning to do anyways. The plan is to:

1. Get a new hosting provider
  2. Setup WordPress and the site on the new host
  3. Flip the switch and point to the new site (and potentially a new domain name)

Where I need help is understanding how I move my current subscribers to the new setup? I want to maintain their existing subscriptions and have the links to auth.net and mailchimp remain intact so the automation for things like card updates, cancellations, and EOT work as they are supposed to. Is there a list of steps or documentation for this anywhere? I searched the forums but didn’t see anything.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Sep 7th, 2012 at 5:59 am #24494

Hi Alissa.

Well, if you migrate the whole site, then all that info you mention will be included with the database tables, together with everything else. I don’t know much about website migrations, but I think most webhosts have cPanel and that includes a backup tool that you can use to create the copy, and then import back. You could contact your webhost about what the steps to migrate the site would be.

If you just want to export the users and the s2Member options, you can try the import and export tools here: [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Import/Export[/hilite]

If you keep the domain name you have now, you may have no problems, but if you change the domain name, I’m not sure if the subscriptions would need some kind of update or hack to update the access properly in the future in case of payment or lack of it. s2Member has a field called custom, with the site’s domain name, and if there’s a mismatch it’d cause trouble. I’ll ask Jason about this particular one and update you when I hear back from him.

Posted: Friday Sep 7th, 2012 at 2:21 pm #24553

Thanks Cristian,

I’m good with the site migration in general – the 2 main concerns are around domain name change and moving the subscribers without breaking the link to auth.net and mailchimp.

It sounds like your question for Jason is what I need to know. So I would need to import/export settings, then import export users, and then modify/update one or more fields if the domain changes and that would maintain the existing users and their tie to auth.net and mailchimp? (obviously I would need to update auth.net as well from to reflect the new domain)

Let me know.

Posted: Saturday Sep 8th, 2012 at 7:13 am #24619

Right, I need to wait for Jason to confirm this. The main thing would be with Auth.Net, I doubt MailChimp will be a problem.

If you can’t update with the domain name the custom value in the user’s subscription over at Auth.Net, then you’d probably need to use a script that gets the IPNs from Auth.Net to your old domain, and forwards them to the new one.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.