latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Subscription Status Not Updated on Child Blog

Home Forums Community Forum Subscription Status Not Updated on Child Blog

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 3 years, 9 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Saturday Mar 9th, 2013 at 10:52 pm #44176

Hi,

I’m continuing the work on a project I’ve posted about here before. I have a multisite network where users signup on the main site (using PayPal standard) and, once the subscription is confirmed, I, the admin, create a new site for them and add the user to their site as well as another support site on the network. There are no automated blog creation and subscribers cannot create a site themselves but s2Member is installed network wide.

The problem I’m running into is that, for my test user, their subscription has lapsed and the user has been correctly demoted to a free subscriber on the main site but not on the other 2 sites they have been added to. I copied the user’s Paid Subscriber ID to their profile in the other 2 sites hoping that this would link it to their actual subscription on the main site as on a WO multisite network it’s the same profile anyway but it didn’t work. Their subscription remains at s2Member Level 1 and does not get changed when the paid sub actually ends.

Is their some setting I need to change? I really expected this to work without manual intervention.

Thanks very much in advance for any your help you can provide!

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday Mar 12th, 2013 at 11:08 am #44371

Hi Stéphane.

The thing is that, although all profiles have the same subscr. ID, PayPal will only notify one of the s2Member instances, the one the subscription was created with, apparently the main site’s in this case. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› PayPal® IPN Integration[/hilite]

You’ll need to find how to have the child blogs use the user profile from the main site, I guess. Maybe there is a plugin that does that.

Posted: Tuesday Mar 12th, 2013 at 11:42 am #44385

Yes, I realize that PayPal notifies only one blog, that’s normal as it has no concept of how WordPress works. But I was hoping s2Member itself would have the smarts to look at a user profile when a sub lapses and check all the sites that user is a member of and update the sub status there too. That is what “multisite support” means to me.

But it seems that s2Member’s multisite support is for a very different and specific use case that is for all independent blogs on the network that may of may not offer subs themselves. It’s not at all suited to my much simpler use case (conceptually, not necessarily simpler to implement in WP) of an integrated network under a single brand. s2Member basically protects content on single sites and has no real network awareness to manage access at the sub site level from the main site. No membership plugin seems to do so which is quite surprising to me as it seems like such an obvious use case.

Quite frankly, I’m very disappointed with s2Member. It’s bulky, hard to use and setup and basically leaves me having to do a lot of things manually I hoped it would help me with. I could have gotten the same results with free or less expensive membership solutions that are way easier to use and be much further along right now. I wish the people who have answered my initial questions months ago would have really taken the time to read them properly and understand my use case instead of assuming things. I gave a lot of details. Lesson learned.

You can close this thread.

Posted: Thursday Mar 14th, 2013 at 6:25 am #44586

s2Member basically protects content on single sites and has no real network awareness to manage access at the sub site level from the main site. No membership plugin seems to do so which is quite surprising to me as it seems like such an obvious use case.

This is a limitation that WordPress multisite itself imposes. Although the WP files and db tables are shared between all blogs in the network, each blog has its own scope. Users belong to the blog they register in, not the network. I see that Raam explained this before too:
http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/question-about-multisite-subsites-creation/#post-18542
http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/questions-about-multisite-installation-setup/#post-25103

That said, there may be hacks/plugins that let you share users between blogs in the network.

The s2Member features related to multisite can be seen here: [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Multisite (Config)[/hilite].

Posted: Friday Mar 15th, 2013 at 10:30 am #44705

Thanks ,

Not trying to be contrary and I’m sorry for the snippy tone of my previous reply, I was a bit frustrated. But, I’ve been working with multisite on almost every project for nearly 3 years now. A pluging can be more aware of users on the network than you seem to think. Look at :

http://codex.wordpress.org/WPMU_Functions/get_blogs_of_user for starters which returns an array of all blogs a user belongs to.

Also see this for getting a user’s data from a particular site:

http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/33456/get-user-meta-to-return-user-meta-only-for-current-blog-in-multi-site

This an other stuff I quickly researched yielded this hook that could be used to automatically copy Paypal info from the main subscription site to a sub site a user is being registered to:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Action_Reference/user_register

First example on that page would be a base to get the PayPal data from the main site to the blog the user has just been registered to (by an admin in my case) but using update_user_option which can be blog specific instead update_user_meta which is global:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/update_user_option

I’m just a hack building sites for my clients but my basic use case seems entirely possible from the above after 10 minutes of research. I haven’t tested any of this obviously and I may just try to do it myself but I would think a powerful membership plugin like s2Member should have this built-in or maybe true a smaller plugin addon one could install on sub sites.

But, like I said, it seems the functionality and workflow s2Member caters for is different from this. The first reply you quoted above does not pertain to this situation at all. I knew s2Member would not enable me to automate site creation. The second reply goes right to the crux of things though but, from experience on muiltisite, it contains inncuracies. When Raam says:

“That means you cannot share users, logins, or other data across the sites”.

…that may be true for s2Memebr itself in its current state but that is certainly not because of limitations in WordPress itself as far as I can see (I may be wrong but the obove ressources and my own experience with MS would tell me otherwise). I run another multisite network with 83 sites on the network. Users can be part of several sites on it and, in this case, they have their own site and also belong to a support and the main site. Much like my current project except there’s no subscription mechanism on the site at all. Client prefers to do this all manually and separately still. But basic user meta is shared and there’s site specific user meta too including the user role which is different for each site a user belongs too on that 83 sites network.

Just food for thought. For now, I’ll be moving on with the project doing these things manually.

Thanks!

Posted: Monday Mar 18th, 2013 at 9:28 pm #45098

Not trying to be contrary and I’m sorry for the snippy tone of my previous reply, I was a bit frustrated.

Oh, no problem, I know how that can be.

that may be true for s2Memebr itself in its current state but that is certainly not because of limitations in WordPress itself as far as I can see

I know it’s not impossible, but it does require a plugin/hack because the default behavior is not that, as far as I know.

I would think a powerful membership plugin like s2Member should have this built-in or maybe true a smaller plugin addon one could install on sub sites.

Just food for thought.

I’ll add this to the feature requests list to consider when we look again at the multisite support. Thanks for the feedback! :)

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.