latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

User control of making profile info public?

Home Forums Community Forum User control of making profile info public?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Jason (Lead Developer) 4 years, 10 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday Feb 27th, 2012 at 6:33 pm #6595
Ray Gulick
Username: raygulick

This seems like potential plugin territory, but I’ve not found one that will do it. I’m seeing some interest from a member organization in allowing website members to choose whether or not website visitors can view their profile info. Second, there is interest in allowing ONLY other logged-in members to view profile info. (this is a buddypress site w/s2member).

Any thoughts, recommendations?

• This topic was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  Ray Gulick.
  • This topic was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  Ray Gulick.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday Feb 28th, 2012 at 1:45 am #6640
Staff Member

Thanks for your inquiry.
With BuddyPress, you can protect all Profiles using s2Member’s URI Restrictions.
For instance, you might protect all URIs with this word fragment.

/profile/

See also: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› URI Access Restrictions

* I hope this helps. Please let us know if you need further assistance in this regard.

Posted: Tuesday Feb 28th, 2012 at 9:18 am #6662
Ray Gulick

Thanks, Jason. That sounds easy enough.

Do you know of any way to allow members to choose whether or not to allow their profile info to be displayed? There were a couple of plugins for BuddyPress that either did this or attempted to, but neither is supported (and neither works with WP 3.3.1).

Posted: Wednesday Feb 29th, 2012 at 11:51 pm #6858
Staff Member

Thanks for the follow-up.

Sorry, I’m not aware of any plugin which does this specifically. However, one way to accomplish this would be through your BuddyPress theme itself, along with functionality provided by s2Member. For instance, you might create a new Custom Registration/Profile field with s2Member, which allows a Member to choose whether they want their profile visible or not, then read that configuration value in your BuddyPress theme.

This might go somewhere in your BuddyPress theme.

<?php
global $bp;
if(get_user_field("show_public_profile", $bp->displayed_user->id)){
	// Allow display of this User's Profile.
} else {
	// Profile should NOT be visible, it's private.
}
?>

See also: s2Member API Function get_user_field()

Posted: Wednesday Feb 29th, 2012 at 11:56 pm #6862
Ray Gulick

Jason – That’s a really good thought! If they elect to do this, I’ll try this approach out and report back here. Of course, I’m hopeful they just decide to leave all profile info public.

Thanks a bunch; you guys provide some of the best support I know of, truly above and beyond.

Posted: Thursday Mar 1st, 2012 at 12:17 am #6863
Staff Member

You’re very welcome. Yes, please keep us updated. Thank you for the kudos!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.