latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Username Problems

Home Forums Community Forum Username Problems

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Jason (Lead Developer) 4 years, 6 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday Jun 20th, 2012 at 2:51 pm #17029

I am having trouble with users signing up for accounts and while picking their username they are adding spaces. They are not getting any kind of warning that this will cause a problem and the entire transaction passes through authorize.net with out any trouble…. Until they go to log in and are unable because s2Member or WordPress somewhere has automatically taken out the space effectively changing their username with out any warnings or notifications. So all of my users who try to create an account with a username containing a space are getting charged for the membership but then are unable to access it.
I tried changing the labeling on the authnet-checkout-form.php and the authnet-registration-form.php so that it said
(“Username ( lowercase letters and/or numbers, NO SPACES OR SPECIAL CHARACTERS )”)
rather than
(“Username ( lowercase letters and/or numbers )”)
as a deterrent, but this change has had no effect on the form even when I regenerate the shortcode for the form.
Either way this just trying to be a short term fix, I’d really like to know why the form isn’t throwing any errors when a user tries to create a username that has spaces… This is getting to be a real problem for the site…

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Thursday Jun 21st, 2012 at 7:42 am #17104

Hello Noelle.

I’ll ask Jason about this. I’m sending him an email now, will let you know when I hear back from him.

Posted: Wednesday Jun 27th, 2012 at 2:09 pm #17674
Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up on this request for support.

@Noelle Morris

This is part of the sanitation that occurs in the WordPress core. By default, spaces ARE allowed in Usernames. You can’t have contiguous whitespace, but single spaces are fine. Contiguous whitespace is automatically reduced to a single space during processing.

The only time spaces are NOT allowed, is if you’re running WordPress in Multisite mode. In that case, spaces are stripped by core WordPress routines. I’ll see what we can do to make the UI more friendly under this scenario. In the mean time, you can modify your Pro Form template if you like, so input cannot contain spaces.

In your Pro Form template file, you might do something like this, for the username input field:

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.