latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Using test site for pro version

Home Forums Community Forum Using test site for pro version

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices. Last updated by  Pacific Zen Institute 4 years, 10 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday Feb 6th, 2012 at 7:50 pm #4184
Jon Brehaut
Username: gardener

If I buy the single-site pro version, can I install it in my test environment (localhost on my own computer) and get it operating the way I want, then move it to my primary site? If so, are there special procedures to do it?

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday Feb 6th, 2012 at 8:11 pm #4197
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Yes, you are allowed to do this, even with the single-site license of s2Member pro, as I understand it. You can of course do this with the free version of s2Member.

Just make sure that you follow the instructions under WP Admin -> s2Member -> General Options -> Localhost WAMP/MAMP Developers, where you will find some instructions in order for s2Member to work correctly on a localhost enviroment.

Hope this answers your questions. :)

Posted: Monday Feb 6th, 2012 at 8:26 pm #4201
Jon Brehaut
Username: gardener

Actually, I already have the free version installed on localhost and working. I also forgot to mention that it was the import function I needed to test. I have an offline database of over 500 paid members for our organization that I want to be able to import into s2member and set the access levels for. Until we can develop an online database and integrate it into our wordpress site, we will need to import new records and changed records monthly. I need to see how the pro version does at that.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Posted: Wednesday Feb 8th, 2012 at 11:28 am #4461
Staff Member

Yes, it is fine to install local development copies of s2Member and/or s2Member Pro. Just be sure to keep your s2Member.com account Profile updated with the Primary Domain of your live installation. Development installations are allowed, and there is nothing in the software to prohibit this.

Regarding importations in s2Member Pro.
Here you will find several screenshots of s2Member Pro, including importation/exportation panels which should provide some clarity for you. If you have other questions, please let us know.

http://www.s2member.com/pro/#!s2_tab_jump=s2-pro-screenshots

Posted: Thursday Feb 9th, 2012 at 12:45 pm #4644

I have the same question, although the development site is actually live online. How would I go about using the pro version in that dev site but then keeping the settings when we transition to the permanent domain name?

Posted: Thursday Feb 23rd, 2012 at 12:49 am #6049
Staff Member

Very sorry for the delayed response.
~ This thread was buried accidentally by me.

I have the same question, although the development site is actually live online. How would I go about using the pro version in that dev site but then keeping the settings when we transition to the permanent domain name?

This article might be of some interest you:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress

In addition to those well documented methods for migrating WordPress collectively (including s2Member), it’s also possible (with s2Member Pro), to export your s2Member configuration options and import them into another site. You’ll find the details for this in your Dashboard, here:

Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Import/Export -› s2Member® Options

Posted: Monday Feb 27th, 2012 at 12:04 pm #6517

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I realized I’m posting in the wrong forum technically. Just to clarify, though, in our account we listed our primary domain as “domain1.org” which will be the permanent, final domain, although we are building the site on “domain2-temporary.org”.

Is this the correct what to do it? Can I fully install and test the plugin on the temporary domain and then change the entire site’s domain name to the permanent domain without expecting any problems?

Posted: Monday Feb 27th, 2012 at 10:42 pm #6630
Staff Member

Yes, that’s just fine to do that. There’s nothing in the software to prevent this. However, we do review installations periodically, and we ask that you keep the Primary Domain updated in your account here at s2Member.com, so that your Primary Domain reflects your *live* installation of s2Member.

There’s nothing wrong with running multiple instances of s2Member on development sites though. This is normal, and we expect this to occur. Again, there’s nothing in the software to prevent this.

Posted: Tuesday Feb 28th, 2012 at 1:56 pm #6676

OK, great, that answers my question. Thank you!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.