latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Will shared ssl work with paypal pro?

Home Forums Community Forum Will shared ssl work with paypal pro?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 3 years, 7 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday May 29th, 2013 at 3:51 pm #50869

Do you think I need a private SSL or can I use the “free” shared SSL that comes with my hosting account to integrate paypal payments pro?

Also, is it easy/straight forward to setup SSL pages using wordpress to run my S2Member Pro forms?

Thanks!

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Thursday May 30th, 2013 at 2:57 am #50919

With s2Member you can add a custom field to your page with the pro-form, so it’s served over HTTPS. Pre Sale FAQs » Do I need an SSL certificate to use PayPal® Pro or Authorize.Net®?

I don’t think you need a private certificate, but I’ll ask in case I’m wrong. Have you asked PayPal about this?

Posted: Thursday May 30th, 2013 at 10:26 am #50950

Thanks. I called paypal and they have never heard of a “shared SSL” before. Apparently it is not a normal thing but my host (hostgator) offers it for free on all hosting accounts. Upon further review of the hostgator website, they suggest that we do NOT use shared SSL for any ecommerce pages since the SSL will list their name and not the name of my company and that customers will not like to see that.

I will upgrade to a private SSL and give this a try.

Thanks!

Posted: Friday May 31st, 2013 at 1:55 am #50982

Yes, that’ll be the right way to go. Sorry I wasn’t sure how to answer that yesterday. Here’s what Jason said:

Jason Caldwell said:
A shared SSL certificate is one which is NOT tied to a site owner’s domain; it’s tied to a domain associated with the hosting company. It generally requires a site to be accessed from a different (alternative) domain name which belongs to the hosting company. It’s NOT compatible with s2Member, or any other software that I can think of.

It’s really just there as a way to access a set of files over SSL (and so a hosting company can say they provide SSL in their list of features :-). It’s not designed to replace the need for an SSL certificate that would power a domain name. Shared SSL is almost like not having any SSL certificate at all, really. You still need to purchase an SSL certificate.

Posted: Friday May 31st, 2013 at 9:57 am #51047

Thanks Cristian!

Posted: Friday May 31st, 2013 at 6:07 pm #51075

No problem. :)

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.