latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

wp_usermeta constraints

Home Forums Community Forum wp_usermeta constraints

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Raam Dev 4 years, 9 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday Mar 15th, 2012 at 10:27 am #8236
Iaeon
Username: SRAAdmin

Hi

I have about 35 columns (fields) of extra data to collect about users which I was planning on adding in S2member. The structure in which this information is stored is concerning me as queries that apply filters to the members database will need to be created so as to get reports (such as ‘.. where member-region = ‘north’ ).

wp_usermeta seems to contain a single wp_s2member_custom_fields row with ALL the extra fields (fieldname1, fileddata1, filedname2, fielddata2, etc) all mushed in together. There are not any obvious tools for filtering / reporting in s2member so I am looking for advice on how best to handle this?

Is it OK just to add tons of additional custom fields?

When exporting the custom fields is there an easy way of reconstructing the data so it looks sensible in a spreadsheet rather than all the custom fields getting out of step in un-labelled columns?

I see that a future release may be handling things differently – if so any possibility of giving some information on what this means and what a -likely- timeline for release is?

Is one way forward to use a third party plugin to handle the additional profile fields? If so any suggestions on which? (ideally something that can appear on a custom profile page such as the one s2member provides easily and allows for some simple reporting.

Thanks

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Thursday Mar 15th, 2012 at 11:45 am #8257
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Graham,

Interacting with a large number of s2Member custom fields via PHP or through the database is, as you mentioned, not ideal. This was a design flaw with how custom fields were stored. However, we are working to greatly improve that in the next major release of s2Member (expected within the next month or so). I don’t have any details about exactly how things are changing, but custom fields will likely get their own database table.

If you need an interim solution, I suggest either creating your own database table to store that extra data or using a 3rd-party plugin.

If you decide to use the s2Member custom fields as they stand now, you may find this thread on the old forum helpful, as it talks about extracting custom field data with PHP: http://www.primothemes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15658#p48878

Posted: Thursday Mar 15th, 2012 at 7:19 pm #8295
Iaeon
Username: SRAAdmin

Hi Raam Thanks for your reply.

You do not say if there are any third party plugins that are known to work nicely alongside s2member to hold additional profile data.

I have to say though that if the timeline to the release is about a month I am tempted to hold on if I can delay things that long. Neater to be integrated …

Are you able to reveal if any querying / reporting is likely to be included?

Posted: Friday Mar 16th, 2012 at 2:30 pm #8389
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Graham,

I do not know of any 3rd party plugins that are known to work. I also have very limited knowledge about future releases so I don’t know if querying/reporting will be included, but I do know that it’s a feature we’re looking into as it has been requested in the past.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.