latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

503: Service Temporarily Unavailable

Home Forums Community Forum 503: Service Temporarily Unavailable

This topic contains 21 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Eduan 3 years, 10 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Sunday Jan 20th, 2013 at 6:37 am #38402

I want to test out my site logging in as different level users, but am getting the following error message:

503: Service Temporarily Unavailable
Too many IP addresses accessing one secure area!
Please contact Support if you need assistance.

What settings do I need to change temporarily to allow me to do this?

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Sunday Jan 20th, 2013 at 9:20 am #38408

Greetings Elizabeth,

You can edit the Unique I.P. Access Restrictions from the s2Member Dashboard.

s2Member > Restriction Options > Unique IP Access Restrictions
Posted: Sunday Jan 20th, 2013 at 10:43 am #38413

Thanks Alec

I didn’t understand the settings, as it all seems to refer to the number of IP addresses per customer, whereas what I needed was the number of customers per IP address. I’ve set it to ‘Allow Infinite IPs’, and this has worked.

Posted: Sunday Jan 20th, 2013 at 12:20 pm #38419

I didn’t understand the settings, as it all seems to refer to the number of IP addresses per customer, whereas what I needed was the number of customers per IP address. I’ve set it to ‘Allow Infinite IPs’, and this has worked.

I’m glad it worked. I wouldn’t however set it to infinite, as that could leave open a whole host of issues.

Think about what sort of customers you have, and where they may be logging in from. With our company, people have access to log in from their Phone, Work & Home. We therefor give a rather lenient 10 I.P. access points before they’re restircted.

Remember also, that only the offending IP will be punished, not the account.

Posted: Sunday Jan 20th, 2013 at 1:09 pm #38428

It only works when I set it to ‘Allow Infinite IPs’ – when I set it to 10 I still got the 503 error message. I’m not sure why, but can live with this until I launch my site and will then reset this restriction.

Posted: Tuesday Jan 22nd, 2013 at 12:24 pm #38969
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Elizabeth,

Are you trying to access your website using a cell phone or some kind of mobile device?

– Eduan

Posted: Tuesday Jan 22nd, 2013 at 12:33 pm #38971

No – only on my laptop.

Posted: Wednesday Jan 23rd, 2013 at 2:36 pm #39210
Eduan

I see, that counts as a mobile device though, cause you can move around with it. :)

This means that you’re breaking, with your laptop, the IP restrictions set under Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› Unique IP Access Restrictions.

So really it’s not strange that you’re getting blocked. :)

– Eduan

Posted: Thursday Jan 24th, 2013 at 5:56 am #39356

Even if I only ever access from home? To date I haven’t tried to access anywhere else – just my laptop in the house. Does this still break IP restrictions?

Elizabeth

Posted: Saturday Jan 26th, 2013 at 11:22 am #39697
Eduan

I was going to ask you about that.

It’s very probable the reason is your internet provider. I believe some give you a different IP every time you use the internet, for security.

Do you use some kind of proxy?

If you make a friend try it for you from his/her house computer, does it break the IP restrictions?

– Eduan

Posted: Sunday Jan 27th, 2013 at 6:58 am #39724

Hi

No, I’m not using any proxy. I got a friend (user I gave Admin role to) to connect to my site for me (different computer, different location) and here’s what he said:

When I select “Site admin” from the META widget on the home page, it points to
http://www.jabiruworkshop.com/wp-admin/
and gives the following error:

“You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page.
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, cgiadmin@yourhostingaccount.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.”

(I was able to get to the site admin anyway by selecting a page and clicking “Edit”)

Posted: Tuesday Jan 29th, 2013 at 1:44 pm #39914
Eduan

Hmm, it seems that for whatever reason your server is misconfigured or your WordPress installation is messed up somehow.

Could you try again with a clean installation of WordPress? In other words, a fresh re-install of WordPress that only has s2Member installed, not even your theme or any other plugins. Remember it has to be a fresh, brand new install of WordPress. ;)

– Eduan

Posted: Friday Feb 1st, 2013 at 6:02 am #40245

How can I do this without affecting everything I have set up (plugins, changes to Theme etc)? If I deactivate all of the plugins, can I then simply reactivate them once I have installed WordPress again? And the same with my theme?

Posted: Saturday Feb 2nd, 2013 at 12:45 pm #40484
Eduan

You can just create a subdomain and install WordPress there, to test only. :) Just remember, the only thing you should install is s2Member, nothing else, not even the theme. ;)

And if it works like that, I’m afraid you’ll have to reinstall your current installation of WordPress from zero, reinstalling everything.

– Eduan

Posted: Saturday Feb 2nd, 2013 at 6:28 pm #40513

Okay – thanks for your help.

Posted: Monday Feb 4th, 2013 at 1:22 pm #40751
Eduan

No problem. Tell me how it goes. ;)

Posted: Thursday Feb 21st, 2013 at 2:49 pm #42751

Hi Eduan – still having the problem intermittently, but my server support desk can’t see any problems.

You say to test my WordPress installation I could create a subdirectory and install fresh WP there – can you point me in the right direction to do this please?

Thanks,

Elizabeth

Posted: Friday Feb 22nd, 2013 at 5:42 pm #42863
Eduan

Elizabeth, there’s nothing special to the process.

You just need to create a sub-domain in your cpanel and install WordPress there.
There’s not a special process to do this.

– Eduan

Posted: Saturday Feb 23rd, 2013 at 1:53 am #42925

Thanks – I have found out how to do that :)

Just to let you know, I identified that it is 2 other admin users that have the permissions error when they try to log in. I disabled all plugins and the error still occurs.

The error does not occur on the sub-directory site which only has WP installed. iPage support are looking into it, and have just come back with following comment:

“I have checked your issue with logging in to Dashboard at http://www.jabiruworkshop.com/wp-admin/ with credentials for 2 admin users and able to duplicate it. I have corrected the settings for your account which was causing the issue. Now able to log with above logins without any issues. Could you please check this from your end after clearing your browser cache and cookies.”

I’ll ask them what they corrected and let you know.

Elizabeth

Posted: Saturday Feb 23rd, 2013 at 5:01 pm #43063
Eduan

OK, looking forward to the results. :)

Posted: Monday Feb 25th, 2013 at 11:53 am #43171

Hi Eduan

Here is what iPage support came back with:

We have corrected the file permissions for the web directory of the account which resolved the issue. Please follow the following link to set and change permissions for files and directories ‘http://www.ipage.com/knowledgebase/beta/article.bml?ArticleID=1366’.

I hope this makes sense to you – all I know is that the problem is fixed. I did see on these forums that a lot of people get the same permissions error message, for a variety of reasons. So no doubt this isn’t a universal fix ;)

Thanks again for your help.

Elizabeth

Posted: Wednesday Feb 27th, 2013 at 8:25 am #43304
Eduan

That does make sense. :)
Thanks for sharing the solution! Glad the problem was solved. :)

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.