latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

bp bbPress forum settings?

Home Forums Community Forum bp bbPress forum settings?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Buck 4 years, 5 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Tuesday Jul 17th, 2012 at 9:31 am #19508
Buck
Username: stephenbuck415

I’ve just completed a clean install of WP with BP & bbPress to resolve some problems described in a previous post. It works, but I’ve got a question about s2Member settings.

I want visitors who are not logged in to be able to view forum posts that have no s2Member level assigned, meaning Levels 0-4 are not selected and saved through the forum drop down menu. The forum Status is Open and the forum Visibility is Public.

Problem 1:
When the visitor is not logged in and visits an unrestricted post, they get a “You must be logged in to reply to this topic” message.

Problem 2:
When the forum has a restriction of Level 0 or greater, when a visitor not logged in attempts to view the post they get an Error 404 Not Found page rather than get immediately redirected to the Membership Options page. I want the visitor to get redirected to the Membership Options page.

The Question:
What settings do I need to change to allow visitors to read posts and get redirected to the Membership Options page when attempting to view restricted content?

Thanks,
Buck

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Wednesday Jul 18th, 2012 at 4:04 am #19580
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Buck,

Have you configured Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› URI Access Restrictions? If so, could you please share what URI’s you’ve restricted?

Posted: Wednesday Jul 18th, 2012 at 4:46 am #19597
Buck

URI Restrictions for Level 0 are:
/members/
/activity/
/messages/
/profile/
/friends/
/settings/

No URI restrictions are assigned for Levels 1-4.

Posted: Wednesday Jul 18th, 2012 at 7:47 am #19625
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Buck,

The “You must be logged in to reply to this topic” message is part of bbPress and is the default behavior (see this example thread on the bbPress demo site; make sure you’re logged out). If you want to change the behavior, you’ll need to modify bbPress. You may want to post on their forum for help with that.

Regarding the 404 message: I just installed bbPress on my test s2Member installation and had the same problem. However, after a bit of trial-and-error, I discovered that it wasn’t s2Member causing the problem but bbPress itself. I tried disabling s2Member and even changing my theme to the default WordPress theme (TwentyEleven). I still received the 404 message.

There are several bbPress support threads that mention the 404 problems and they are most often caused by one of two things: an incompatible theme or a strange permalinks issue. I tried changing my permalinks to something else and then changing them back to my original settings and that seemed to fix the issue for me. The 404’s were gone and when I reactivated s2Member the protected forum correctly redirected non-logged in users to the Membership Options page.

Posted: Wednesday Jul 18th, 2012 at 7:50 am #19626
Buck

Thank you — I figured if it was s2member then I would have simply been missing an internal setting.

I’ll investigate the bbpress/buddypress support pages on this.

Thank you.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.