latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Buddypress and S2 Member

Home Forums Community Forum Buddypress and S2 Member

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Craig Heyworth 3 years, 4 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Saturday Aug 3rd, 2013 at 3:51 pm #54839

Hi All,

I’ve read so many posts on buddypress and s2 member integration but i’m still a little lost and was wondering if you could help.

I have a wp site with buddypress installed. The wp theme I have has custom login and registration pages. In buddypress’ options it’s sets these two pages accordingly.

I have s2 member pro installed that obviously uses the wp-login.php as standard. Obviously not ideal for a larger site, so i wish to house the registration under a page, /register. I have installed an s2 member paypal pro from on a page which nearly works, ( I anticipate it’s giving errors as my paypal account isn’t pro yet, as it’s a new business).

So, what do I do to make sure people don’t go to the buddypress registration page? How do I stop access to wp-login.php? Is there a vid for the full setup and integration process of s2 member and buddypress that I’ve missed?

Any advice at all would be great.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Sunday Aug 4th, 2013 at 5:26 pm #55103

So, what do I do to make sure people don’t go to the buddypress registration page? How do I stop access to wp-login.php? Is there a vid for the full setup and integration process of s2 member and buddypress that I’ve missed?

No video yet, but we do have a lot of documentation built into the s2Member® dashboard panels when BuddyPress is detected as an active plugin running together w/ s2Member®. For now, I can supplement this with help here in the forums.

Can you please clarify something first? You DO want folks going to /register/ correct?
You want to use BuddyPress right?

Posted: Monday Aug 5th, 2013 at 5:14 pm #55241

Yes i would ideally.

I would like to make sure that users never head to any part of ‘wordpress’ including the login.php, register page and even the forgotten password page, though I don’t know how possible that would be.

So currently I’ve got the paypal pro form on a page that allows to register, however I’ve not managed to get the profile fields integrated into Buddypress, so the fields the enter in the pro form populate the buddypress profile

And I obviously still have a /register page that shows the buddypress register page.

Posted: Tuesday Aug 6th, 2013 at 1:58 pm #55300

Thanks Craig! :-)

So it sounds like the site is coming along nicely. That’s great!

Some things that may help you.

1. Locking down the /wp-login.php file (not common, but you requested this).

Please create this directory and file:
/wp-content/mu-plugins/s2-hacks.php
(NOTE: these are MUST USE plugins, see: http://codex.wordpress.org/Must_Use_Plugins)
(See also: http://www.s2member.com/kb/hacking-s2member/)

<?php
add_action('login_form_register', 'my_wp_login_redirect');
function my_wp_login_redirect()
	{
		wp_redirect(home_url('/register/')); exit;
		// Redirects to BuddyPress registration form instead :-)
	}

2. If you have custom fields that you’d like to integrate into your BuddyPress regisration form, s2Member® can help with this if you like. See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Registration/Profile Fields

3. Understanding the difference between “Registration” and “Checkout” where s2Member® is concerned.

While it is absolutely OK to use your BuddyPress registration form with s2Member® installed; this does NOT facilitate checkout and payment processing. This is what s2Member® Pro Forms are there for.

Thus, if you want to charge a customer, you will want to use s2Member® Pro Forms for this; and perhaps redirect these members back to their BuddyPress profile after checkout is completed.

See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Membership Level # Forms
See also: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Custom Return URLs Upon Success
See also: Knowledge Base » s2Member® Pro-Forms

Posted: Saturday Aug 10th, 2013 at 4:58 pm #55531

Great, thanks for this.

I’m just going through them now. Quick question: I can’t seem to located mu-plugins… I’m obviously missing something :-/

Right, so based on this, I think I’m best setting up the paypal pro form as the only place on the frontend that a user can ‘register’ for the service. After completing the form and completing payment, I would them to be sent through a couple of pages I’ll set up before landing in the ‘edit profile’ page, for them to conclude in updating their profile. It seems I’ll be able to set this up by using the paypal form shortcode as you suggest. Great.

So if this is the case, I would then basically just like to remove access to wp-login.php, which your above suggestion should hopefully resolve. /wp-login.php?action=register’ which actually I’ve sorted (although I can’t remember how), but it auto redirects the user to the /register page. And the /wp-login.php?action=lostpassword page, which I actually don’t mind too much unless there is an easy way to bring that into the main site.

So my problems right now then are the following.

1. the /register page is currently the buddypress and themes custom page which currently populates strangely and shows both ‘profile fields’ and s2’s profile fields, would need to be the paypal pro form. So I suppose i’m after complete turning off registration through buddypress? to free up this page for the pro form?

2. I need to understand where and how I would create all the profile fields for the users to show in their edit profile section, and understand how I would select a which ones are to show up in the pro form… which then auto updates their profile.

Urgh, I hope all this makes sense… I really am kinda going round in circles with this and feel like I’ve probably got lost… :-/

thanks for the help

Posted: Saturday Aug 10th, 2013 at 7:57 pm #55533

oh, just re-read your comment on the mu-plugins. So i’ve created the directory mu-plugins in wp-content and have created the s2-hacks.php now.

I can currently still access wp-login.php however.

Posted: Sunday Aug 11th, 2013 at 9:36 am #55557

I can currently still access wp-login.php however.

The hack I posted earlier will only redirect away from /wp-login.php?action=register. You won’t want to block access to /wp-login.php entirely, because that’s how you gain access to the Dashboard.

1. the /register page is currently the buddypress and themes custom page which currently populates strangely and shows both ‘profile fields’ and s2′s profile fields, would need to be the paypal pro form. So I suppose i’m after complete turning off registration through buddypress? to free up this page for the pro form?

2. I need to understand where and how I would create all the profile fields for the users to show in their edit profile section, and understand how I would select a which ones are to show up in the pro form… which then auto updates their profile.

Please watch this video tutorial on BuddyPress + s2Member® Pro; and read over the KB article.
I asked Jason to create a tutorial for this and he published it this morning. Pretty nice of him! :-)

Posted: Friday Aug 23rd, 2013 at 3:41 pm #56597

Great!

Thanks for the awesome tutorial, it cleared up a ton of problems I was having and I’m sure there’s going to be plenty of others helped.

I am however finding that there is one problem that is persisting with me despite following the video to the letter.

After a new user has registered and he heads to his buddypress profile (as you do in the video), my profile seems to include a ‘Name (required)’ field (and it’s also there 3 times). I’m also struggling with the visabliity of the fields.

I’ve gone through the video several times and I can’t seem to figure it out.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.