latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Bugs? Profile Edits, New Users, Downgrades

Home Forums Community Forum Bugs? Profile Edits, New Users, Downgrades

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 6 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday Jun 25th, 2012 at 6:33 pm #17426

1. When members attempt to update their user profiles, the changes are not saved and thus the feilds are updated to blank. They cannot be updated by the member, only the admin.

2. New members are required to provide Fname, Lname and Email during regustration. However, I get probably 10 new registrations per day without this info and it seems these new members do not get the activation code emailed to them.

3. Members get downgraded for no apparent reason. This is a very big issue, as it happens daily. I have to login to the admin/user area, bring up the client details and S2 simply says they were demoted… not why they were demoted, but even worse, what level membership were the before the demotion.

FYI: I have the latest version of S2

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday Jun 26th, 2012 at 1:58 am #17473
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Wayne,

1. When members attempt to update their user profiles, the changes are not saved and thus the feilds are updated to blank. They cannot be updated by the member, only the admin.

2. New members are required to provide Fname, Lname and Email during regustration. However, I get probably 10 new registrations per day without this info and it seems these new members do not get the activation code emailed to them.

Both of those sound like there’s a problem with the s2Member validation JavaScript loading properly on your site. Please load your registration page, then do View -> Source on your browser, and look for the line that looks like the following:

<script type='text/javascript' src='http://example.com/wp-content/plugins/s2member/s2member-o.php?ws_plugin__s2member_js_w_globals......'></script>

Note that there are two lines that look similar to this: one loads the CSS and one loads the JavaScript. Both links should be accessible in your browser, but the JavaScript one is where the validation code is loaded. Try loading the URL in your browser. If you get an error, please see Knowledge Base » Mod Security, Random 503/403 Errors.

3. Members get downgraded for no apparent reason. This is a very big issue, as it happens daily. I have to login to the admin/user area, bring up the client details and S2 simply says they were demoted… not why they were demoted, but even worse, what level membership were the before the demotion.

I cannot think of any reason that would happen. Are you sure they’re being downgraded and not simply being registered with free level (again, that would most likely be caused by JavaScript or other errors loading the registration page)?

In either case, the next step in troubleshooting that problem would be to enable logging (Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› Account Details -› Logging), conduct another test, and then look at the log files in plugins/s2member-logs/ for clues as to what’s going on.

Posted: Tuesday Jun 26th, 2012 at 6:41 am #17516

Thanks. We’ll take a look at 1. and 2.

As far are the random downgrading, its definately happening. S2 logs in the notes that the member was “demoted” and the date that it occurred.

WM

Posted: Tuesday Jun 26th, 2012 at 8:17 am #17533

This is an example. This account was paid for a year in advance, active well into 2012. However….

“Demoted by s2Member: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:04 am UTC”

It doesn’t say why, nor does it tell me what membership he did have, so fixing these mistakes takes research time.

WM

Posted: Tuesday Jun 26th, 2012 at 10:07 am #17542

We tested both files (css & js) are accessible via browser with url looks like

http://<domain.tld>/wp-content/plugins/s2member/s2member-o.php?ws_plugin__s2member_js_w_globals=[HASH];ver=120622-120622-214586314
http://[domain.tld]/wp-content/plugins/s2member/s2member-o.php?ws_plugin__s2member_css=1&#038;qcABC=1&#038;ver=120622-120622-214586314

About logs we already enabled this feature. Where we can securely paste the logs ? (to keep our privacy secure)

Posted: Wednesday Jun 27th, 2012 at 6:15 am #17634
Raam Dev
Staff Member

Hi Wayne,

Please use the Private Contact Form to attach the log files.

Posted: Thursday Jun 28th, 2012 at 1:16 am #17722

Logs sent using Private Contact Form

Posted: Friday Jun 29th, 2012 at 2:46 am #17822
Raam Dev
Staff Member

Hi Wayne,

I looked at your logs and here’s what I found in paypal-ipn.log:

The demotions are valid as s2Member received IPN messages from PayPal indicating that a demotion should take place. s2Member will process a demotion for various reasons (cancellation, failed payment, refunds, etc.; it all depends on the IPN message s2Member receives from PayPal).

Looking through your logs, here are some of the reasons I found for demotion:

'initial_payment_status' => 'Failed',
'txn_type' => 'recurring_payment_profile_cancel',
'payment_status' => 'Reversed',
'reason_code' => 'buyer_complaint',
'payment_status' => 'Refunded',
'txn_type' => 'recurring_payment_suspended_due_to_max_failed_payment',

What I did was search the paypal-ipn.log for “demoted” and then scroll up a few lines and look for the reason of the demotion. Each log entry contains details about the IPN message that was received from PayPal and by looking at the details of the IPN message you can determine why s2Member processed the demotion.

If you suspect a demotion is invalid, you should contact PayPal and discuss with them why the IPN message was sent. s2Member only processes demotions based on what messages it has received from PayPal.

Posted: Friday Jun 29th, 2012 at 7:24 am #17850

This is frustrating.

Two examples and I doubt in both cases its because of paypal.

1. Annual members are domonted. A fully paid member is domoted, even though they have several monthly left in their membership.

2. A member signed up to our service on the 27th of June. I checked paypal. His transation is complete and I have been issued the funds. On the 29th he is demoted to free member.

This is not a rare occurance. I’m dealing with email complaints from customers several times each day. How many are not complaining and just canceling their membership?

Thought:

If paypal issues this kind of valuable info, why is that not logged in the client’s history? “Demoted by s2Member: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:15 am UTC” isn’t any help if you don’t tell me why.

Also, if you demote someone, you should put in the admin notes what his former membership level was.

– Wayne

Posted: Saturday Jun 30th, 2012 at 3:25 am #17911

If paypal issues this kind of valuable info, why is that not logged in the client’s history? “Demoted by s2Member: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:15 am UTC” isn’t any help if you don’t tell me why.

Also, if you demote someone, you should put in the admin notes what his former membership level was.

We’re improving this in the new s2Member being developed. Thanks for the valuable feedback.

This is not a rare occurance. I’m dealing with email complaints from customers several times each day.

I believe you. We’ll try to find why this is happening in your installation.

Could you tell me the subscr. IDs of some of those that had the problem so I look them up in the logs to see what info I find there? All EOTs I see mentioned in the IPN log are because of cancellations or failed payments.

I was looking at how the admin note could include the previous role. Make a copy of the file auto-eots.inc.php in /wp-content/plugins/s2member/includes/classes/ and put it in the /wp-content/mu-plugins/. Now find line 167 that says

[hilite pre_code]
c_ws_plugin__s2member_user_notes::append_user_notes ($user_id, "Demoted by s2Member: " . date ("D M j, Y g:i a T"));
[/hilite]

and change it to

[hilite pre_code]
c_ws_plugin__s2member_user_notes::append_user_notes ($user_id, "Demoted by s2Member from " . $existing_role . " by s2Member: " . date ("D M j, Y g:i a T"));
[/hilite]

I hope that helps.

Posted: Saturday Jun 30th, 2012 at 3:28 am #17912

By the way, you could use the EOT notification to email you about them when they happen and may help to find what’s causing it, but at least you’ll be able to fix accounts before some users notice it. There’s a field for emails at the bottom of the notification panel. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Notifications -› EOT/Deletion Notifications[/hilite]

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.