latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Can s2member do this

Home Forums Community Forum Can s2member do this

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 8 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Sunday Apr 29th, 2012 at 1:20 am #12182
Deann Barton
Username: dbbl

Hello,

I am trying to create a site as follows:-

I want users (free subscription) to be able to access entire site, however I want them to be able to create their own individual page which they can add to or edit accordingly. Members would be restricted from editing anything other than their own page. All members however would be able to search and view any other members page.

Would s2member allow me to do this?

I was just reading/learning about client portals with s2member, which I understand would allow me to set up the particular page for the member, which would then allow for the member to edit and add to the page accordingly. I hope I have understood this correctly. Perhaps this may be the way to go for me. It would work as I could set up my site as an invitation only site and I would be able to manage the page creations for each new sign up member. My query though is – would doing it this way allow me to restrict the access of members to only editing their own page but allowing them to search and view pages of any members on the site?

Thanking you. Look forward to your advice and suggestions.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday Apr 30th, 2012 at 4:25 pm #12225
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Deann,

s2Member does not allow members to edit or post to the WordPress blog. All s2Member Levels use the WordPress Subscriber role capabilities, which means members can only view posts/pages, not edit. The s2Member Client Portals video that you watched explained how an admin could edit the pages of members to update information they see — the members themselves cannot edit the pages.

You could certainly get around this by manually customizing the capabilities of s2Member Levels using a 3rd party plugin, but that would introduce a few security concerns that you’d need to be aware of since s2Member was not designed for that scenario (please see this thread).

Posted: Tuesday May 1st, 2012 at 12:51 pm #12293
webierweb
Username: joec

Is it possible to automate the client portal process that Jason talks about in the video at this link?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBltDUopo1U
It would be great to automate the creation of new page, custom cap, etc, etc for each user that I create through a given user level…

I am trying to bring all users to a welcome page (same for each level), and to also create a secure page that I can add pdfs to for each client….I do not want one or the other…I want to do both (redirect based on s2member level at login…I have done this already….and I would like to have the page created for each users, regardless of level, that I can use to put quotes, etc)…

Is this possible?

Posted: Tuesday May 1st, 2012 at 4:22 pm #12316
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Joe,

Yes, you can automate it, but you’ll need to handle that automation yourself as such custom programming is outside the scope of our support policy (please see s2Member® » Support Policy » Outside Scope).

Without making any customizations, whatever page you select for the Login Welcome Page (Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Login Welcome Page) will automatically be shown to all users when they login regardless of their level.

You could then use some conditional code (see Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Simple/Shortcode Conditionals) to display some content only for users with a specific level.

If you’re using Custom Capabilities, you might be able to avoid creating a page per user by using the conditionals to only show the downloads relevant to the users’ Custom Capabilities (e.g., if user has ccap ‘example1’, show these downloads). Then, updating the file list would simply be a matter of updating the links inside the conditional.

Posted: Monday May 7th, 2012 at 9:58 pm #12862
webierweb

I saw the posts about adding files to the s2member-files folder in ftp….I have no problem doing this.

So, if the username is jtorres1 (as an example), then I create

/wp-content/plugins/s2member-files/access-s2member-ccap-jtorres1/

and then insert files into that folder…..I can do this for each user, no problem.

The question: Where does the user go on the site to pull up these files? If I am not creating a separate page with a ccap of jtorres1, then where do the files get viewed?

Posted: Tuesday May 8th, 2012 at 3:45 am #12885

The question: Where does the user go on the site to pull up these files? If I am not creating a separate page with a ccap of jtorres1, then where do the files get viewed?

Wherever you put the link to the file in your site for the logged in user with that ccap.

Posted: Tuesday May 8th, 2012 at 11:44 am #12911
webierweb

I am confused as to how s2 is behaving….

I point to the following link to allow a user to download a protected file:
http://www.omnimedfinancial.com/access-s2member-ccap-pvenram/?s2member_file_download=guardian5000-10000.pdf

The odd thing is that the file is in the s2member-files folder, and not in the s2member-files/access-s2member-ccap-pvenram folder….How can this be? When I put the file in the ccap-pvenram folder and remove it from the s2member-files folder, I get an error that says that the file is not available….

What do I need to change?

Posted: Tuesday May 8th, 2012 at 12:39 pm #12920

Joe, there are some videos that may help you understand these better. I suggest that you watch them first and then, if you have another question, post it here.

Video » s2Member (File Download Options)
Video » s2Member (Custom Capabilities)
Video » s2Member® File Downloads (Amazon S3/CloudFront/JW Player)

I hope that helps. :)

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.