latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Cancelled Accounts Not Getting Demoted

Home Forums Community Forum Cancelled Accounts Not Getting Demoted

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 3 years, 5 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Saturday Jul 20th, 2013 at 8:26 pm #53740

I’ve had s2member set up for a little while now, but it is not demoting users to Level 0 when they cancel their account when paying with PayPal.

The site uses PayPal standard and the pro-form to pay via PayPal.

I enabled logging earlier, then signed up for an account. Checked everything was working fine with the account, and saw logs added. I then went in and cancelled the account. I didn’t see any updates to the logs. Is there a specific time that s2member goes through to attempt to demote accounts even after immediate cancellation?

The account I created today had 2 days free on it. However an account I started and cancelled 8 days ago before I enabled logging had 2 days free and has not been demoted.

Membership EOT Behavior (Demote or Delete)? is set to “Demote” and the Auto EOT via WP-Cron is set to “Yes”.

What more information can I provide you wtih?

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Sunday Jul 21st, 2013 at 8:58 am #53774

I then went in and cancelled the account. I didn’t see any updates to the logs.

Do you have a paypal-ipn log? If not, make sure your IPN integration correct, please. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› PayPal® IPN Integration[/hilite]

Is there a specific time that s2member goes through to attempt to demote accounts even after immediate cancellation?

s2Member will set the EOT time at the end of the paid time, so the demotion is not immediate. If the user paid for 1 month and cancels the subscription after a week, he still has about 3 weeks of access left. See the documentation here: [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› Automatic EOT Behavior[/hilite]

However an account I started and cancelled 8 days ago before I enabled logging had 2 days free and has not been demoted.

There’s a possibility that wp-cron is not working correctly. You could try these: Knowledge Base » Common Troubleshooting Tips

Posted: Sunday Jul 21st, 2013 at 10:52 am #53781

Do you have a paypal-ipn log?

Yes. Would providing any details be of service to you?

You could try these: Knowledge Base » Common Troubleshooting Tips

The only plugins enabled besides s2member are WordPress HTTPS, Quick Cache, TablePress and Contact Form 7. The Server Scanner came back green.

s2Member will set the EOT time at the end of the paid time, so the demotion is not immediate. If the user paid for 1 month and cancels the subscription after a week, he still has about 3 weeks of access left. See the documentation here:

If a user signs up for an account for that has 2 days free and then cancels before a charge is made, is the account automatically demoted, or does it wait for the 2 days? Or does it wait until after the 2 days plus the subscription period even though it was cancelled before any charges happened?

Here’re the settings http://rounderupdate.com/screenshot.png

Posted: Monday Jul 22nd, 2013 at 6:35 am #53805

If a user signs up for an account for that has 2 days free and then cancels before a charge is made, is the account automatically demoted, or does it wait for the 2 days? Or does it wait until after the 2 days plus the subscription period even though it was cancelled before any charges happened?

I’m not completely sure, but probably at the end of the trial period… I’ll ask Jason to confirm it.

The only plugins enabled besides s2member are WordPress HTTPS, Quick Cache, TablePress and Contact Form 7. The Server Scanner came back green.

Got it. Did you do the plugin conflict tests described in the troubleshooting article? And you’d need to test wp-cron after each, because what we’re trying to see here is if something is causing wp-cron to not work properly.

Yes. Would providing any details be of service to you?

First I wanted to know if s2Member was receiving notifications from PayPal, and it looks like it is if you have that log, unless it’s there from a while ago and it doesn’t currently get new entries. Could you check that?

It’d also be good to know if the cancellation notifications are arriving. You can also set up an s2 notification for cancellations, so you get emailed when one happens. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Notifications -› Cancellation Notifications[/hilite]

You can do 1 cent purchases, 1 day trial, 1 day recurring, to test these out without waiting or spending much.

Posted: Monday Jul 22nd, 2013 at 9:40 am #53812

And you’d need to test wp-cron after each, because what we’re trying to see here is if something is causing wp-cron to not work properly.

How do I go about testing WP-cron while disabling plugins? I just installed the WP Crontrol plugin and see the s2member cron in there. I manually ran the script from the Crontrol interface. It says it ran successfully and the old account that expired days ago is still Level 1.

What’s the is method for testing if a plugin is conflicting? Disable them one by one and sign up and cancel an account through PayPal?

unless it’s there from a while ago and it doesn’t currently get new entries. Could you check that?

I just enabled logging and watched the logs get created after signing up for this last account.

It’d also be good to know if the cancellation notifications are arriving.

I just set up email notifications, so I’ll do some testing and reply back when I have more details.

Posted: Monday Jul 22nd, 2013 at 9:20 pm #53834

Could WP-cron not working at all? How can I test it?

I disabled all the plugins except s2members and set the theme to twentyeleven, but it still is not working. I signed up for an account (1 day free then 1 day recurring), logged in to the website, then went to PayPal and cancelled the payment. In the API Cancellation Notification settings, my email address is in there correctly using the following format: “John”

I set up and cancelled an account with my PayPal twice, but got no emails. I do not have a spam folder.

I also have my email address saved in the EOT/Deletion Notifications settings.

s2-http-api-debug.log, reg-handler.log, paypal-ipn.log and paypal-api.log were all updated. What do I do?

P.S.

After canceling the account, I went to Crontrol and manually ran the s2member cron hoping that would trigger an email. It did not.

Posted: Tuesday Jul 23rd, 2013 at 8:07 am #53876

Thanks for running those tests.

After canceling the account, I went to Crontrol and manually ran the s2member cron hoping that would trigger an email. It did not.

After cancelling the account, were any entries added to the logs? Did the user get an EOT time set in his profile?

If you set an EOT time in the past for a user (can be a test account), and run wp-cron, does the demotion happen?

And you’re doing these tests with WP with the default theme and no plugins other than s2Member?

You can also submit your site’s info so I can take a look. s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Posted: Wednesday Jul 24th, 2013 at 3:25 am #53952

After cancelling the account, were any entries added to the logs? Did the user get an EOT time set in his profile?

I’m pretty sure the only things that have been logged were the creation of new accounts. I checked specifically after canceling an account the other day and there were no updates since the creation.

The users do not have an EOT time set in their profile.

If you set an EOT time in the past for a user (can be a test account), and run wp-cron, does the demotion happen?

I didn’t even have to run the cron. Submitting the edit user profile form with an earlier date in it set the account to Level 0. I also just received the EOT notification email. However, I still have yet to receive a cancellation notification even though I’ve canceled some subscriptions/accounts on PayPal.

And you’re doing these tests with WP with the default theme and no plugins other than s2Member?

I created and canceled multiple accounts using twentyeleven with all plugins (except s2member) deactivated. No EOT time was set then.

Posted: Wednesday Jul 24th, 2013 at 4:11 pm #53999

~ AUTO-GENERATED NOTICE TO SUPPORT REPS

Action taken: I posted a private contact form and referenced this Topic.

Posted: Thursday Jul 25th, 2013 at 7:39 am #54018

Thanks, got the email.

I see that you missed configuring the Payment Data Transfer. Please complete the configuration in this panel: [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› PayPal® PDT Integration[/hilite]

I hope that helps. :)

Posted: Thursday Jul 25th, 2013 at 4:02 pm #54093

Great, thanks! I it set up. I set up another account and then canceled it. I received the notification about the cancellation of the PayPal recurring payment and the automatic EOT time has been set.

Thanks so much for your help!

P.S.

If anyone else runs across this thread and can’t find the Website Payment Preferences, I found it after a bit of research. You can find it by:

1.) Log into PayPal
2.) Click “Profile”
3.) Click “My Selling Tools”
4.) In the “Selling Online” section, click “Update” next to the “Website Preferences” item

Posted: Friday Jul 26th, 2013 at 7:08 am #54133

Great! Thanks for the update. I’m glad you got it working. :)

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.